Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Feb 17, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
johnnysharp2
Excited about Disney

Alamo payment question

Hi,

Sorry for yet another Alamo question and if the answer has already been posted.

When you book with Alamo direct or Alamo Brits do they charge your credit card there and then?

Just the best price we can see is through our AA membership and that is pay on arrival.

Really want to get it paid before we go so we know how much we are definitely paying and to hopefully avoid a bit of extra time at the counter.

Thanks
johnnysharp2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
johnnysharp2
Excited about Disney

Sorry ignore that it says on Alamo Brits website -

Payment options
Pay now & save up to 9% or
Pay on arrival

Might need to pay the higher Brits price as want to pay before we go really.
johnnysharp2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Incarniac
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Does the AA price include the extras (mileage, CDW & LP, taxes & charges, additional driver) that Alamo Brits does?

Looking at AA's page I'd imagine it does (including the second driver, which is what third-party offers sometimes exclude) and the lower price you're seeing is AA's 15% discount vs Brits' 10%.

With AA, do you agree the price in GBP or USD? If GBP that's a 'guide price' in that Alamo will charge you in USD so they'll convert the GBP to USD and charge your card, which is then converted to GBP by the card provider. Usually they're very close but some exchange rate fluctuation need to be allowed for (in both cases).

Does the AA have free cancellations and amendments should be price go down (with Alamo or elsewhere)? If not, how much is that flexibility worth to you (for now)? Since is pay-on-arrival I would think you could cancel for free, but it's something to take into account.

If you wanted to go for the AA offer, one thing you could do is put the money away so it's there ready to pay off that 'extra' CC charge when you return (or even when you're there if you have that option). I'm also of the type that prefer to pre-pay as much as possible before we go, but if the price difference was big enough I might consider doing that.

Edited at 09:18 AM.
Incarniac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
johnnysharp2
Excited about Disney

The difference as it stands between AA and Alamo Brits is £362.94 with AA and around £388 for the Brits (plus maybe buying the book just in case they ask to see it).

Both seem to have everything you need, additional driver doesn't matter as my wife refuses to drive out there!

We can't skip the counter anyway at Sanford but for the relatively small amount I am figuring as we can pay now Alamo Brits might be the better option, it may just also save us a bit of time at the counter.

It isn't necessarily a financial decision, just a personal preference of wanting to get it paid now rather than later, and trying to reduce the time spent at the rental counter.

Edited at 09:41 AM.
Old 27 Feb 17, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mmm. Still a nice bit of cash to save but I do see your point about wanting to pay now. I also like to get things squared away.
Have you tried Andy at discountfloridacarhire? He does a package that only has 1 driver.
Worth a quick check on his website for 2 mins work.
He advertises on here and his link is above these posts.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
johnnysharp2
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Mmm. Still a nice bit of cash to save but I do see your point about wanting to pay now. I also like to get things squared away.
Have you tried Andy at discountfloridacarhire? He does a package that only has 1 driver.
Worth a quick check on his website for 2 mins work.
He advertises on here and his link is above these posts.
Yes was one of my first thoughts but for the Minivan we are looking for it comes out at £434 with the Gold package.
Old 27 Feb 17, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
don't forget that with Alamo, you can book now, and if the price goes down, cancel and rebook free of charge.

I personally would pay now as that is one less cost to worry about later

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

I've been looking at the AA option too with Alamo as it's over £30 cheaper than my Alamo Brits booking.

I'm being told I can pre-pay if I join Alamo Insiders, which I've done as it's free to do, but I can't see how that helps me pre-pay.

I've also been told it's free cancellation too right up to near point of travel.

I'm tempted to just click "book" and see how I get on with pre-paying. I've still got my Brits booking anyway currently.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
johnnysharp2
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
I've been looking at the AA option too with Alamo as it's over £30 cheaper than my Alamo Brits booking.

I'm being told I can pre-pay if I join Alamo Insiders, which I've done as it's free to do, but I can't see how that helps me pre-pay.

I've also been told it's free cancellation too right up to near point of travel.

I'm tempted to just click "book" and see how I get on with pre-paying. I've still got my Brits booking anyway currently.
I did quotes for Alamo and National through the AA discount and both came up cheaper than Brits but both were pay on arrival.

I think the Brits option still wins for me.
Old 27 Feb 17, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

I've done a booking using the AA discount and I've joined Alamo Insiders which is free to do.

I can access my Alamo booking already using the link below which is the Online Check In page and it shows the AA benefit giving the additional driver free.

alamo/en_US/car-rental/checkin.html
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List