Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 May 21, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Every time we look at Dubai I get excited, I think we would love it. I’m always the one reassuring customers, off the back of what other people have told me (and they’ve been so they’ve a much better understanding than my irrational brain!).

Thank you, it’s food for thought!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 21, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Princ3ss D
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LadyFromage View Post
We stayed at the Sofitel next Door and it was amazing.

I think that quote is overpriced. Who is it with?
Hi, please can I ask you about the Sofitel as i'm looking at this. We are a family of 4, kids will be 15 and 10. What's it like, and is the half-board a good option? Tell me all!

We booked Atlantis for Easter 2020 for 11 nights, rearranged to October 2020 and then May 2021 and couldn't go on all three dates they are now refusing to move our holiday again and want us to pay an additional £7,000 to go at Easter 2022 looks like we'll be asking for a refund and starting again. Any information would be great. Thanks

P.S. forgot to ask if anyone has been to Dubai during Ramadan as i've just realised Easter 2022 falls during Ramadan so i'm wondering how things will be restricted and is it still a good time to go.

Edited at 07:39 PM.
Princ3ss D is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 21, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
[QUOTE=Scaramouche;

Did any of you guys feel on edge when you were there? Did you feel like you constantly had to think about how you were behaving - I’m worried about little things such as holding OHs hand, or forgetting and him giving me a kiss on the forehead or something.

I really fancy it, but I’m wondering if it’s just better to stick with Mauritius and save Dubai for a few years time when I’m sick of him 😂😂😂[/QUOTE]

Our daughter has lived in Dubai for the last 7 years and we’ve been out a few times. No need to be anxious it’s more relaxed than you imagine . There is a big drinking culture and as long as your not rolling the streets in a drunken state or misbehaving you’ll be fine.
Old 2 Jun 21, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

I have stayed at the Sofitel. I went with my Mum as my brother and his family were there for his 40th.
It was amazing. I don’t have kids, but my nephews loved it. We had a cabana which was so nice beside the pool. My sil and I went kayaking in the gulf and my brother had a shot on a paddle board. The rooms were gorgeous. We had a city view room and my brother had some sort of beach suite.
I’m not sure what would be included in the half board but would take it. We paid for a meal one night, the buffet, and it was very expensive. We ate in the steakhouse for his birthday and I remember it being really good.
Sandraoh40 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 21, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Essexguy52
I want to go now!

weve been to Duabi and Abu Dhabi several times.
First trip we were a bit nervous but you soon realise that as long as you are not doing anything outrageous in public you will be fine.
Fighting , having sex, rolling round drunk , using drugs etc are big no nos.
Weve never stayed at Atlantis, always thought it very over priced for what it is.
Agree its a lovely hotel and a tourist destination in own right, but can be double the price of other hotels.
Jumeirah Group hotels are good and gets you access to Wild Wadi theme park.
For those of you with kids that want to spend the whole holiday at theme parks, you would do well to look at Lapita, its next to Dubai Parks and gets you unlimited access to the theme parks and water park usually.

Edited at 06:12 AM.
Essexguy52 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 21, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunjue100 View Post
Our daughter has lived in Dubai for the last 7 years and we’ve been out a few times. No need to be anxious it’s more relaxed than you imagine . There is a big drinking culture and as long as your not rolling the streets in a drunken state or misbehaving you’ll be fine.
Thank you, sorry I’ve only just seen this! I’m a cocktail with dinner kind of girl and then back to soft drinks so that’s all good with me!

Thanks
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyFromage
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Princ3ss D View Post
Hi, please can I ask you about the Sofitel as i'm looking at this. We are a family of 4, kids will be 15 and 10. What's it like, and is the half-board a good option? Tell me all!

We booked Atlantis for Easter 2020 for 11 nights, rearranged to October 2020 and then May 2021 and couldn't go on all three dates they are now refusing to move our holiday again and want us to pay an additional £7,000 to go at Easter 2022 looks like we'll be asking for a refund and starting again. Any information would be great. Thanks

P.S. forgot to ask if anyone has been to Dubai during Ramadan as i've just realised Easter 2022 falls during Ramadan so i'm wondering how things will be restricted and is it still a good time to go.

Sorry for the late response!

So we stayed may 2018 during Ramadan. Our girls were 7 and 12 at the time.

We had a half board option from BA.

We had breakfast and then lunch OR Dinner. But this could be taken in the main buffet restaurant or their actual restaurants but they need to booked - the hotel reception are happy to do this for you.

At the hotel - You would have no idea its Ramadan. Food and drink available all day etc.

We only really noticed when we went out to the Malls etc. Very empty and alot of places were closed until sun down when everyone would come out.

We thought it was fantastic and a great cultural lesson for our children.

Alcohol was available in the sofitel but not sure about else where but we are not big drinkers any way.

We booked a seperate day trip to the Atlantis water park which the girls LOVED!

We also took them to the Burj Khalifa ( Tallest building in the world)

Booked the tickets for both of these at home about a month before we went which was cheaper than booking whilst we were there.
LadyFromage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyFromage
Very Serious Dibber

With regards to feeling anxious - we didnt.

We went during ramadan so i made sure to pack suitable clothing for when we were outside of the resorts to be respectful. Knees and shoulders covered. So a Midi or Maxi dress and a cardigan. Or a shawl / scarf.
LadyFromage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 21, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Leeky
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by Princ3ss D View Post

We have stayed at Atlantis a couple of times during Ramadan, food and drink was available during the day just some of the restaurants and fast food places had screens up to be respectful to people observing the fast, Alcohol was not available until after 6pm I think, but it is a great time to visit. Also if you plan to do any of the theme parks or attractions etc. check the opening times as lots of places didn't open until later in the day but did stay open until later at night
Leeky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 21, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Has anybody travelled there as part of a same sex relationship? Or do you just avoid altogether.

Thank you.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List