Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Jun 21, 03:19 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

I had this occur in Fl about 4 years ago. I usually didn't answer the Tracfone unless I knew the number but on this occasion I did. Nice bloke asked why I'd rung him,... oh great, some scammer is spoofing my number. We chatted for a couple of minutes and i suggested he block my number.

I don't know if Tracfone still do this, but with many of their handsets there was no option to block numbers, I added them to 'contacts' marked 'do not answer', the cynic in me believes Tracfones no option to block is deliberate as they charge for incoming calls too. Thanks to Google Duo (far superior video than Whatsapp/Facetime) I no longer bother with a US phone.
Old 23 Jun 21, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

Please never phone back and block them. If you call back you could be paying for a premium number which is how they get their money as this happens a lot with scammers .
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Is there a way you can get a call diverted automatically to voice mail, on an iPhone, if it is a number not in your contacts?
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I block number not recognised... if ... after 24 hours ... there is no voice message or text. If its important, messages will be left.

Sorted

Disney332
Old 23 Jun 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
I block number not recognised... if ... after 24 hours ... there is no voice message or text. If its important, messages will be left.

Sorted

Disney332
People are missing the point. This is not a call to me its a call that looks like its coming from me. There appears to be no way to stop the scammers doing this.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
People are missing the point. This is not a call to me its a call that looks like its coming from me. There appears to be no way to stop the scammers doing this.
I did miss the point...

If it were me..

1 Dont answer a call to your phone, if the message is from someone scammed block it

If it carry’s on

2 Change your number

Or

3 Ring the police for advice

Disney332
Old 23 Jun 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Aye DB, apparently, with a radomiser there's no way of stopping number spoofing. I'm surprised many don't understand the concept. The problem increased when the UK stipulated business callers must show a number, that ruling suited scammers as there's more chance of a shown number being answered than an anonymous.

Re incoming calls, as D332 said, don't recognise the number don't answer it, once you answer it's logged as active and sold on and on... I'm chuckling here as an unknown call rang my mobi whilst typing, it's unanswered, I'll check it on the internet and likely block.

Cold callers use software that detects active, including ex-directory, numbers; they're a determined lot! We've used TalkTalks free CallSafe for years, no cold calls/scammers via our home phone since.
Old 23 Jun 21, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Aye DB, apparently, with a radomiser there's no way of stopping number spoofing. I'm surprised many don't understand the concept. The problem increased when the UK stipulated business callers must show a number, that ruling suited scammers as there's more chance of a shown number being answered than an anonymous.

Re incoming calls, as D332 said, don't recognise the number don't answer it, once you answer it's logged as active and sold on and on... I'm chuckling here as an unknown call rang my mobi whilst typing, it's unanswered, I'll check it on the internet and likely block.

Cold callers use software that detects active, including ex-directory, numbers; they're a determined lot! We've used TalkTalks free CallSafe for years, no cold calls/scammers via our home phone since.
My home phone is perfectly good and gets no spam calls ever as I have call protect on it. My new soon to be turned on broadband home phone also have call protect on it.

The number of calls to my mobile is increasing. Had one pretending to be car phone warehouse this afternoon. No more call spoofing coming from me so the randomiser has moved on to someone else.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 21, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

My home phone is perfectly good and gets no spam calls ever as I have call protect on it. My new soon to be turned on broadband home phone also have call protect on it.

The number of calls to my mobile is increasing. Had one pretending to be car phone warehouse this afternoon. No more call spoofing coming from me so the randomiser has moved on to someone else.
I got that one too !
Old 23 Jun 21, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sharon190980
Excited about Disney

This happened to my husband yesterday too!
sharon190980 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List