Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Dec 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Daisyb
Earning My Ears

Help with a new puppy please

Hi. We have had a Male Cavachon from 8 weeks old
He is now 14 weeks and we are struggling with Jim his biting is insane and we are all wearing numerous plasters,it's especially worse in the evening when he goes slightly beserk!
He will wee in the garden but apart from early morning when he poos outside he will pop everywhere in the house. We are trying to not about when he does it but it's getting harder as he gets bigger. I've got a dinner party for 14 tomorrow and I'm dreading it we will have to shut him in another room and he will have that and whinge all night
We are really wondering if we ha e do e the right run having this puppy but we have had dogs before my last one died aged 14 in March and was never like this
He's been to 3 puppy classes so far
Any advice on toilet training please ?
Daisyb is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

How often are you taking him outside? Are you staying out there until he does something? Its a difficult time of year to get a puppy, because its dark, cold and wet, but you have to get him outside regularly, including immediately after eating or napping, and stay there until the business is done. When he does something, you need to make lots of fuss and provide a treat - make it a really nice treat, and different from what you give when training.
Old 9 Dec 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Daisyb
Earning My Ears

Hanks for the reply. Yes we are doing all of that even in the rain . We never give him a treat when he goes inside but always when he uses the garden. He seems able to hold himself until he finds a nic carpet, even though we have had to take the good rugs up. He never goes on a walk either
Old 9 Dec 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Daisyb View Post
Hanks for the reply. Yes we are doing all of that even in the rain . We never give him a treat when he goes inside but always when he uses the garden. He seems able to hold himself until he finds a nic carpet, even though we have had to take the good rugs up. He never goes on a walk either
If you're doing all I said, including waiting outside until he goes, then how is he also managing to go in the house? Is he toileting outside and then inside, i.e. twice in quick succession?

Its not uncommon for young dogs not to toilet on a walk, they prefer to go at home where they regard it as safe.
Old 9 Dec 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We had trouble with our Westie to start with. We were not taking him out often enough - to start with he needed every 45min/hour when he was awake and excitable.

Took advice off family that worked - always, ALWAYS put him out in the same spot in the garden, on the lead, say the words go wee(or whatever you are comfortable with) as soon as he starts, treat and praise when he's done.

If he does poop, say the words go poop (or whatever) as soon as you spot the squat... etc...

There really needs to be a lot more standing around outside saying trigger words, waiting for a full "evacuation" to be done from the sound of it... sorry. (eventually most dogs will go on cue and become more comfortable going away from "the spot")
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Mackenzies03
Serious Dibber

Mobile

With biting you need to make sure he has 20+ toys and every time he begins to mouth at you give him a toy to mouth at. If he bites, shout ‘ow’ very loudly and walk away from him ignoring him.
Old 9 Dec 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYNIC
Excited about Disney

The biting stage will not last for long. I remember our cockapoo biting the back of my children's ankles while they were walking along but she stopped doing this very quickly.

Are you going outside and using trigger word each time we use 'toilet time' and big fuss and reward each time he goes where he should outside. My cockerpoo is almost a year and half now and still squats and wees whenever I say this at bedtime, before we go out etc.

We have fake grass and unless my dog is desperate she will come home from a walk and go and do her business in the garden as she is used to the fake grass haha!

Trip Report October/November 2019:-
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1150263
DISNEYNIC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisyb
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your replies. I have stood out with him on a lead for 2 hours and he will still.come back in and use the carpet . Will keep on persevering. My other dogs were all easy to tra in, we must just be unlucky with this one!
Old 9 Dec 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Connors Daddy
Very Serious Dibber

We have similar issues, but it's improving with time.

Welcome to the Dibb BTW, interesting 1st post for a Disney forum...
Connors Daddy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveLeith
Very Serious Dibber

Our cocker spaniel puppy is nearly 15 months but this time last year I’m sure I was suffering from post puppy depression. Standing outside for what felt like hours on end in the freezing cold trying to persuade him to pee/poop was not fun especially when he would pee as soon as he got back inside. Coupled with the biting, cue several bouts of tears and I can honestly say I’d have handed our puppy back.

Thankfully the biting didn’t last for long and the peeing & pooping also eventually fell into place, it’ll be the same for you, you just need to be patient & consistent. Stay strong.