Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 Aug 21, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Dental implant anyone?

I had to have a large molar removed earlier this year, it was unsalvageable after years of being filled and then crowned.
It has left a large gap that cannot be bridged so the only option according to my dentist is an implant.
Has any Dibber had these done?
Do they hurt and how long does the procedure take and for the thing to settle down?
The cost is eye watering but it is a big gap that food constantly gets trapped in, so I feel that I have no other choice.

I’d be grateful for any information and advice

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 21, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I dont know but will follow this thread with interest as I have the same following a wisdom and molar next to it removed. What conferenced me was the success rate may be low (for me) as I dont have enough bones left (had to have more gum cut out as it was thought to be cancerous) so pain v gain and yes eye watering cost which may be for nothing more than my vanity .

So and watching the thread with great interest
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 21, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I had to have a large molar removed earlier this year, it was unsalvageable after years of being filled and then crowned.
It has left a large gap that cannot be bridged so the only option according to my dentist is an implant.
Has any Dibber had these done?
Do they hurt and how long does the procedure take and for the thing to settle down?
The cost is eye watering but it is a big gap that food constantly gets trapped in, so I feel that I have no other choice.

I’d be grateful for any information and advice
These are the big ones on the bottom?

I’ve lost 2 on one side of my mouth, for very much the same reasons as you, I live with the gap, but can’t they offer you a plate with a false tooth on?
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Mpet
Very Serious Dibber

Yes I’ve had implants - as you say quite expensive!

I would say the pain is no more than a filling - probably less. I know this will vary from dentist to dentist, but my procedure was:

Dentist gave me a nerve block. After about 20 minutes he started the procedure. Cut into gum and drilled into jaw. Inserted base of the implant and healing cap, then stitched up gum. This took no more than 30 minutes and was more uncomfortable than painful.

Dentist gave me some strong ibuprofen to take if needed and gave me an ice pack to hold on face to lessen any bruising.

For the next day or two it felt like a bruise if I moved my mouth in a certain way. After a week no pain at all. The stitches were removed after a week (no pain). I then waited 2-3 months for the implant to ‘take’. A crown/ new tooth was then fitted.
Mpet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 21, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Dave had implants done by a Latvian dentist at Luton. He flew in a couple of days a week. He was actually recommended by our own dentist.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
These are the big ones on the bottom?

I’ve lost 2 on one side of my mouth, for very much the same reasons as you, I live with the gap, but can’t they offer you a plate with a false tooth on?
Yeah, I would have lived with it but I’ve already lost the wisdom tooth same side, so my top big teeth have only one bottom one to chew against!
Dentist says that plate won’t work, can’t remember the reason.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

Edited at 12:19 PM.
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mpet View Post
Yes I’ve had implants - as you say quite expensive!

I would say the pain is no more than a filling - probably less. I know this will vary from dentist to dentist, but my procedure was:

Dentist gave me a nerve block. After about 20 minutes he started the procedure. Cut into gum and drilled into jaw. Inserted base of the implant and healing cap, then stitched up gum. This took no more than 30 minutes and was more uncomfortable than painful.

Dentist gave me some strong ibuprofen to take if needed and gave me an ice pack to hold on face to lessen any bruising.

For the next day or two it felt like a bruise if I moved my mouth in a certain way. After a week no pain at all. The stitches were removed after a week (no pain). I then waited 2-3 months for the implant to ‘take’. A crown/ new tooth was then fitted.
That’s great, very helpful thanks

Old 31 Aug 21, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Darwen Bird
Imagineer

I'm going through it right now and for me it's the only realistic option.

Had a lateral incisor (the one next to the front two) out in April due to an abscess (from a failed root canal 20+ years ago) and was given three options - implant, bridge or plate. I was also given a temporary plate while I made up my mind.

Nine years ago I had a side tooth out and was offered an implant for £2600 but couldn't justify it for the well-hidden side of the mouth so I left it. The dentist immediately came back with "well how about £1600?" but that's another story. So in April it meant I had a gap, a tooth and a new gap and I needed a permanent solution.

The initial treatment of appointments, antibiotics, extraction, x-rays, moulding and temporary plate cost £450. The plate was very well done and very well made (and actually covered the long-term gap) but I just couldn't talk with it. I can't talk quite right without it but with it in it was almost impossible so I very rarely used it. Plus I couldn't taste food with it in.

I went back to the dentist in July (they had to let it heal for three months before doing anything) and had a chat. A permanent bridge wasn't an option now due to the speech. A bridge between the two teeth would have meant more time in the chair, more work and would have meant filing down & then capping two healthy teeth - plus a bridge would not last as long as an implant.

So a fortnight ago I went back in for my first appointment - drilling up in to the jawbone to fit the root implant. I had a lot (and i mean a lot) of anesthetic and didn't feel a thing. My gum had a lot of infected tissue due to the abscess so a lot of scrapng of the gum took place. The appointment was 2 hours and it didn't stop bleeding for 12 hours (my dentist is utterly wonderful but I clearly needed another stitch on top of the 3 or 4 I had).

I'm back this week for taking out any stitches that haven't dissolved. Then in Novemer or December I can have the crown implant (again, they have to wait three months for healing). Total cost of the implant will be £2450 (on top of the intial £450 cost).

Although I rarely used the temporary plate I did pop it in to keep the gap closing too much and to try to learn to talk with it. Annoyingly I lost it last week at the dentists! I hated the blooming thing but it annoys me so much because a) I don't lose things, b) I don't lose things that cost a lot and c) it lived in my pocket and I only went from the car, across the road to the dentist and back again. It was impossible to lose!

No pain at all. A bit more blood than i would like. More time in the chair (which is demoralising). And an ugly gap for 6 or 7 months. But will be worth it. And the dentist assures me it will last 20 years and by then I'll be almost 70 and just won't care any more.
Days Inn Days Lodge, June 89 & 92. Travelodge Maingate East, July 03. West Stonebridge Villa, June 08. Orange Tree Villa, July 10. Buena Vista Palace, Sept 11. Hilton Bonnet Creek, Sept 13. Port Orleans FQ, Nov 14. Buena Vista Palace, Sept 16. Port Orleans FQ, Nov 17. Hotel New York Disneyland Paris, Sept 18. Holiday Inn Disneyland Paris, Sept 23. Margaritaville Resort, Nov 24.
Mr Darwen Bird is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 21, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Darwen Bird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Darwen Bird View Post
Then in Novemer or December I can have the crown implant
Also, I work in a customer-facing role with members of the public. This is why I'm keeping my mask on until the crown implant gets attached!
Days Inn Days Lodge, June 89 & 92. Travelodge Maingate East, July 03. West Stonebridge Villa, June 08. Orange Tree Villa, July 10. Buena Vista Palace, Sept 11. Hilton Bonnet Creek, Sept 13. Port Orleans FQ, Nov 14. Buena Vista Palace, Sept 16. Port Orleans FQ, Nov 17. Hotel New York Disneyland Paris, Sept 18. Holiday Inn Disneyland Paris, Sept 23. Margaritaville Resort, Nov 24.
Mr Darwen Bird is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mr Darwen Bird View Post
I'm going through it right now and for me it's the only realistic option.

Had a lateral incisor (the one next to the front two) out in April due to an abscess (from a failed root canal 20+ years ago) and was given three options - implant, bridge or plate. I was also given a temporary plate while I made up my mind.

Nine years ago I had a side tooth out and was offered an implant for £2600 but couldn't justify it for the well-hidden side of the mouth so I left it. The dentist immediately came back with "well how about £1600?" but that's another story. So in April it meant I had a gap, a tooth and a new gap and I needed a permanent solution.

The initial treatment of appointments, antibiotics, extraction, x-rays, moulding and temporary plate cost £450. The plate was very well done and very well made (and actually covered the long-term gap) but I just couldn't talk with it. I can't talk quite right without it but with it in it was almost impossible so I very rarely used it. Plus I couldn't taste food with it in.

I went back to the dentist in July (they had to let it heal for three months before doing anything) and had a chat. A permanent bridge wasn't an option now due to the speech. A bridge between the two teeth would have meant more time in the chair, more work and would have meant filing down & then capping two healthy teeth - plus a bridge would not last as long as an implant.

So a fortnight ago I went back in for my first appointment - drilling up in to the jawbone to fit the root implant. I had a lot (and i mean a lot) of anesthetic and didn't feel a thing. My gum had a lot of infected tissue due to the abscess so a lot of scrapng of the gum took place. The appointment was 2 hours and it didn't stop bleeding for 12 hours (my dentist is utterly wonderful but I clearly needed another stitch on top of the 3 or 4 I had).

I'm back this week for taking out any stitches that haven't dissolved. Then in Novemer or December I can have the crown implant (again, they have to wait three months for healing). Total cost of the implant will be £2450 (on top of the intial £450 cost).

Although I rarely used the temporary plate I did pop it in to keep the gap closing too much and to try to learn to talk with it. Annoyingly I lost it last week at the dentists! I hated the blooming thing but it annoys me so much because a) I don't lose things, b) I don't lose things that cost a lot and c) it lived in my pocket and I only went from the car, across the road to the dentist and back again. It was impossible to lose!

No pain at all. A bit more blood than i would like. More time in the chair (which is demoralising). And an ugly gap for 6 or 7 months. But will be worth it. And the dentist assures me it will last 20 years and by then I'll be almost 70 and just won't care any more.
Very thorough and really helpful thanks.
It’s only been 3 months since the extraction and I’ve also had another crown done (previous one broke after 15 years) and a temporary fix of another broken tooth recently.
I’ve gone years without needing any dental work, really fed up of this recent need to go! They’ll be naming a chair after me at this rate.