Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 May 22, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

I think it’s a nice gesture but have never done it. I used to take little Christmas presents to WDW but it was a bit awkward sometimes. Having said that they were always gratefully received by the CM and a few even cried when we gave them. So I might just try it myself if we go again.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
Yeah it would never cross my mind to do this, I find it really odd tbh, definitely sounds like a bribe for preferential treatment 🤣🤣

I always say thank you as I'm leaving and DS does the same.
Not surecwhat prefential treatment you could get. Drinks and snacks are free on most flights. Though I did get a glass of fizz but I didn't expect it

They aren't supposed to upgrade anyone for free

They are providing a service like waitresses etc but everyone all tips them!

Edited at 05:14 PM.
lizzie145 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

To add on to what I added earlier in the thread, when we went in December to Orlando, which was our first trip post pandemic, we were so happy that my dh insisted on taking a couple of packs of Hestons mince pies for the cabin crew, which we handed over when we got on the plane. He also had me buy 5 Cadbury selection boxes, the ones in card not plastic as thought they were more ‘authentic’ to give out when there. So the girls that checked us into the hotel got one, and the other 4 went to whoever was working in the clubhouses at the golf courses we played.
We did have a couple of strange looks, but really all were well received and it made my dh feel great to be back out and about and spreading goodwill 😊
And truthfully, if we go back at Christmas again we would do the same thing.
Old 21 May 22, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Eh? This is like that whole mouse keeping thing that seemed to get really competitive on Facebook groups, before you know it they’ll start leaving keys for brand new cars for the cleaners.

Never heard of this before, don’t get the point, and I’d be quite embarrassed to do it. Not something I’ve ever heard of IRL.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
As I said earlier it’s not something I would do and I know two of the people who have posted that they do give something to the Staff don’t do it for what they may get but because they want to show gratitude for the service they will receive.

I suppose thinking about it that it’s not much different to giving the Guy who did a job for me in my house a slab of Lager.

But of course we all do what we think is right. Others may disagree and that’s fine as if we were all the same it would be a boring old World.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 06:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GoldenAvalanche View Post
Eh? This is like that whole mouse keeping thing that seemed to get really competitive on Facebook groups, before you know it they’ll start leaving keys for brand new cars for the cleaners.

Never heard of this before, don’t get the point, and I’d be quite embarrassed to do it. Not something I’ve ever heard of IRL.
I agree. If people want to do it fair play if it makes them feel better but I find it all a bit weird personally.
MarkUK is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
As I said earlier it’s not something I would do and I know two of the people who have posted that they do give something to the Staff don’t do it for what they may get but because they want to show gratitude for the service they will receive.

I suppose thinking about it that it’s not much different to giving the Guy who did a job for me in my house a slab of Lager.

But of course we all do what we think is right. Others may disagree and that’s fine as if we were all the same it would be a boring old World.
I don’t do that either 😂 only gifts I can think that I do are for teachers end of year (because they absolutely deserve them dealing with my kids…), and my nail technician at Christmas (because she deserves it listening to me prattle on for 2 hours twice a month!) but I agree each to their own, I just hope no one feels pressured to do it on reading it as I say the mouse keeping thing seemed to get weirdly competitive!

Edited at 06:38 PM.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by GoldenAvalanche View Post
I don’t do that either 😂 only gifts I can think that I do are for teachers end of year (because they absolutely deserve them dealing with my kids…), and my nail technician at Christmas (because she deserves it listening to me prattle on for 2 hours twice a month!) but I agree each to their own, I just hope no one feels pressured to do it on reading it as I say the mouse keeping thing seemed to get weirdly competitive!
I agree things can and do get out of hand. Probably the only time I dug my heels in was when my Wife started to give Housekeeping chocolate on top of the tip we left.

I couldn’t have cared less but when they failed to clean the bath tub or leave coffee I got peeved! That got the chocolate knocked on the head!

As an aside I would have to tip a nail technician about £100 to get my nails looking good! Having cut off half a thumb and the top of my index finger with a circular saw they would have their work cut out. 🤣

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I agree things can and do get out of hand. Probably the only time I dug my heels in was when my Wife started to give Housekeeping chocolate on top of the tip we left.

I couldn’t have cared less but when they failed to clean the bath tub or leave coffee I got peeved! That got the chocolate knocked on the head!

As an aside I would have to tip a nail technician about £100 to get my nails looking good! Having cut off half a thumb and the top of my index finger with a circular saw they would have their work cut out. 🤣
Sounds like you should get a discount without 10 full finger nails to work on
Old 21 May 22, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
Not surecwhat prefential treatment you could get. Drinks and snacks are free on most flights. Though I did get a glass of fizz but I didn't expect it

They aren't supposed to upgrade anyone for free

They are providing a service like waitresses etc but everyone all tips them!
I guess it depends on when it's given tbf. Given before you've had the actual service - looks really weird and a bit like you're trying to get something in return, even if just pressurising for good service. Just not very good etiquette and I imagine a bit embarrassing for a lot of crew.

Given AFTER actually receiving good service as you're leaving - not something I would do but more like a tip/thank you for good service.

I've never known anyone tip before a service - what if it's rubbish?

Anyway, as others have said, each to their own. Everyone should just do whatever they're personally comfortable with 😊😊😊
Enchanted is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List