Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Dec 19, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

When my council relaid the road and pavement a couple of years ago they offered all those residents without a dropped kerb the opportunity to have one for £350 instead of the higher price which I believe was about £850. Both me and my neighbours have dropped kerbs, but there was a piece of kerb between the two of us which was about 15." So I sent a polite email to the relevant department with a picture and asked if they could please remove it when they replaced the pavement. The reply was that they would for the £350 offer, but I explained that I already had a droped kerb and it would save the council money not having to put a 15" kerb back which served no purpose. No way were they prepared to do it without me paying them £350. I gave in because the old kerb was only 2-3" high and the new kerb about 5" which would have occasionally caused an issue reversing in. I do think that sometimes common sense is lacking when it would have cost the council more to have not have put a silly little kerb in, but instead they stitch up a local resident that has never caused any issues to them or even once fallen behind my council tax (Sunday rant over).

Edited at 07:02 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We had an incident a few weeks ago where our neighbour was blocked in her own drive. It ended up half the street out there and the men were rolling up their sleeves to forcibly move the small van. Then someone discovered one of the back doors was unlocked so the handbrake was removed and the van was pushed about 12 feet to a parking space. Very grateful neighbour went out. We never found out who owned the van (it disappeared in the depth of night) but it's pretty certain they are not visiting anyone in our little street. I wonder if they even noticed they had been moved.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Trusty ian View Post
I don't have problem with cars parking over my drive but opposite my drive making it very difficult to pull out . My partner has reversed into a car parked opposite once. Both our cars are parked side by side on the drive so no room to manouvere/turn until we get to the road. Not to bad in her fiesta but my Mondeo takes quite a few goes to get past cars parked opposite. We have a football club local to us and it seems away fans drive down our road rather than park in the club car park. They park on corners , junctions. Both sides of road, up pavements. Never seen one policeman or traffic warden.
Also got a neighbour who has visitors on a Sunday who park opposite instead of at his house . I have politely asked a few times but they still do it.
Would it be easier to reverse onto the drive? You can then see where you are going when manoeuvring into live traffic.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
m84ourlife
slightly serious Dibber

Council with easy revenue why wouldn’t they get involved nothing to to do with helping residents
m84ourlife is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

I wish people would stop parking on the pavement so DH can get his wheelchair out. Sadly the police can do nothing about that.
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Feebee2 View Post
I wish people would stop parking on the pavement so DH can get his wheelchair out. Sadly the police can do nothing about that.
I'm really surprised because I thought they could issue a ticket. I get annoyed when I see lazy/ignorant people parking in disabled spaces when they're not disabled (no badge on windscreen - I appreciate it's not always obvious if someone is disabled), also people parking in mother and child spaces with no kids.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I'm really surprised because I thought they could issue a ticket. I get annoyed when I see lazy/ignorant people parking in disabled spaces when they're not disabled (no badge on windscreen - I appreciate it's not always obvious if someone is disabled), also people parking in mother and child spaces with no kids.
I try to avoid Tesco after school pick up as they all shoot down to Tesco then. It's funny they don't seem to quite have the nerve to use a parent and baby space on their own but think it's OK if they have their school age child. I wonder what the upper age limit is? 🤔
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I try to avoid Tesco after school pick up as they all shoot down to Tesco then. It's funny they don't seem to quite have the nerve to use a parent and baby space on their own but think it's OK if they have their school age child. I wonder what the upper age limit is? 🤔
This was recently asked of supermarkets and most said 12 years or wouldn't give a limit.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
This was recently asked of supermarkets and most said 12 years or wouldn't give a limit.
No wonder we have so many overweight and unfit kids when some supermarkets say kids up to 12 years old can get as close to the store as possible to save them walking. I would have thought the limit should be nearer 5 years of age.
Old 15 Dec 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
No wonder we have so many overweight and unfit kids when some supermarkets say kids up to 12 years old can get as close to the store as possible to save them walking. I would have thought the limit should be nearer 5 years of age.
I used parent and child spaces until mine could get in and out safely on their own and be trusted not to run off. Think they were about 4.

For me it wasn't about being close to the store, it was more about wider spaces so that I could open both back doors to but two children into their car seats, near a trolley park that had twin trollies when they were little and with a safe walkway when they were a bit older.

It really annoyed me today, I obviously hadn't parked in a parent and child space but was using the safe walkway behind the cars, pushing a trolley, when a man came the other way, it's only wide enough for one trolley and pushed past, forced me to stop as he went to his car in the parent and child space (with no child).

Inconsiderate parking full stop just makes me cross. It's usually just selfishness.