Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Dec 20, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I hate my new job... WWYD?

As the title says - I hate my new job. I started with a company in August after being self employed for a few years but unfortunately Covid had quite a large effect on my clients and I decided to try employed work again.

I cant put my finger on what is wrong but I just don't seem to be building a rapport with the team, I find the work extremely boring and unfortunately my dad is dying with lung cancer which is obviously having an effect on my mental ability.

I am considering handing in my notice, I have another income stream through my self employed work and would probably use the time to build up my business again in the new year.

I do feel guilty though for letting the team down if I hand in my notice but I feel that my work and everything that is happening with my dad is making me ill, my anxiety is through the roof and I need to look after myself and my kids for a bit.

Edited at 05:10 PM.
2littleboys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Given you have another income stream, I think you've answered your own question, your well being beats being loyal to an employer every day.

If you didn't have another income to fall back to I would have advised you "suck it up" and live with it to get in the cash whilst doing everything you can to find another job, and switching as soon as you get one.
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
If you can afford to leave, then I think you should. Being in a job that you don’t like is not fun!
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Over the last couple of years with one thing or another and with Covid on top this year has made me sit back a bit and realise that life is too short to be doing things you don't enjoy and having to pretend to people and putting on a brave face. As you have another wage coming in and not going to be homeless or starve then give your notice in. Once you've done that the weight on your shoulders will be less and give you more time with your family and your dear dad and also time for you.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2littleboys View Post
As the title says - I hate my new job. I started with a company in August after being self employed for a few years but unfortunately Covid had quite a large effect on my clients and I decided to try employed work again.

I cant put my finger on what is wrong but I just don't seem to be building a rapport with the team, I find the work extremely boring and unfortunately my dad is dying with lung cancer which is obviously having an effect on my mental ability.

I am considering handing in my notice, I have another income stream through my self employed work and would probably use the time to build up my business again in the new year.

I do feel guilty though for letting the team down if I hand in my notice but I feel that my work and everything that is happening with my dad is making me ill, my anxiety is through the roof and I need to look after myself and my kids for a bit.
Sorry to hear about your job & your unhappiness, I was going to say wait till you find another job first before you hand notice in, but if you have another income to help you out, why not do it, if it’s making you that unhappy & the stress of your Dad too.

Take care xxx
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tigger48
VIP Dibber

OP it sounds like you have quite a lot going on at the moment, and I’m sorry to hear about your Dad. Fwiw if you can afford to I think you need to be true to yourself and leave the new job. You can’t get the time back with your Dad later. I wouldn’t feel guilty for leaving - look upon it as opening up an opportunity for you to spend time with your Dad, and for someone else to take your job and have a fresh start. Good luck with whatever you decide.
tigger48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Don't feel guilty. As awful as it sounds they will easily replace you! Life is too short for you to be miserable. Do what makes you as happy as you can be given how tough things are for you right now.

Good luck!

Edited at 05:31 PM.
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would hand my notice in. I started a new job back in 2018 and the boss was awful ( old school management, bully). Didn’t sleep at night and was very stressed. I handed my notice in right at the end of my probation so I only had to work a further week otherwise it would have been 3 months
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Don't feel guilty about the team, they will replace you - I don't mean that in a horrible way, just in a 'you owe them nothing' way. If working there is making you feel so bad then you need to leave, look after yourself. You have a good excuse with your dad. Good luck
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

If you can afford to then jack it in, life's too short especially with a sick parent 😘
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List