Notices

Old 24 Feb 08, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

:)

Originally Posted by ariel2006 View Post
but I did keep a mini-trippie if anyone is interested?
Of course we are!

Jodie
Old 27 Feb 08, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Cornwall mini-trippie with lots of pics

As promised here is a mini-trippie of our holiday to Cornwall last week, with lots and lots of pictures.

The Cast:
My Mum and Step Dad (referred to as Dad as he is Sophie's Dad and is as good as to me too)
Sophie - my little sister (shes 11, often referred to as Soph)
My Grandparents
Honey - our Labrador (well Sophie's)
Nick and I

Monday 18th
Nick and I had work on Sunday so we traveled down to Mum’s house in Devon after work, arriving a little before 1am. So when Sophie came running in early on Monday morning to see if we were ready to go out we were not overly impressed. She let us sleep in a few hours and then we got up and ready and with Mum, Kate (my older sister) and Sophie we headed down to Plymouth. We walked along the Barbican, stopping to get some chips for lunch, then headed over to the Pavillions for ice-skating. We had a laugh, especially since Kate hadn’t been for years and hardly let go of the side, and Nick taught Sophie to skate backwards, she was very impressed, as were we. We ordered some pizza for tea from a local pizza cafe (the best pizza, coleslaw and garlic bread ever) and snuggled on the sofa with a glass of wine (obviously not Sophie) to watch Sophie’s new Ratatouille DVD I had brought her.

Tuesday 19th
Tuesday morning finally came round and we up early to get ready and get the cars packed up. A few hours later with 2 bulging car boots we were all ready to go, although by now we were all very tired again. Honey was raring to go and jumped straight in and we were finally away, Mum and Dad in one car, Nick, Soph and I in the other...just to get to the main road and find Sophie had forgotten Macy, her favourite dog. So Nick turned around, Sophie ran in and came out with her arms full of teddies, 9 in all. So we were off again, second time lucky, or not. We got 10 minutes down the road and Sophie realised Macy was missing, she searched and it just wasn’t there and started to get really upset. I tried to phone Kate at home to see if Soph had dropped her on the road but my phone decided to stop working, typical. After 10 minutes of trying to phone home and Mum I finally got through and Kate went and found Macy who was still on Sophie’s bed. Grandma and Grandad had only just left so turned round and went back to collect Macy.
After 45 minutes we crossed the Tamar Bridge and we were in Cornwall. We stopped shortly after at Cardinham Woods for a drink and snack and let Honey have a run. We drove on to Hayle, our favourite place in the world (not including WDW, of course), a smallish seaside town with the most gorgeous golden sandy beach. We drove through the town and picked up some tasty Cornish pasties and ate them by the river. One more stop at Tesco in Penzance, the last supermarket till Sennen, to pick up supplies for the next few days. 20 minutes later we finally arrived over the hill and got the most beautiful view down to Sennen Cove, the crashing waves on the rocks, the lovely beach, the boats in the harbour, the beautiful cliffs across the bay. Sennen Cove is a typical Cornish seaside town, but very small and beautiful. There is one road that comes down a big hill leading to a dead end, a small row of houses on one side, the sea on the other. There is one small shop, one local pub, 2 little cafes, a surf shop, surf school and cafe and a roundhouse gallery. The beach starts at one end with a small habour with fishing boats and a lifeboat station, lots of rock pools in the middle and then a nice sandy beach at the end. The flat where we were staying is right at the end of the road, the front patio leads to a cliff edge, the back patio looks up to a hill that leads to a coastal path.
Some pictures of Sennen:

The flat belongs to my Mum’s best-friends parents and we have been staying there since we were babies, although the last time we visited was about 5 years ago, typically nothing had changed since. We unpacked the cars quickly and Sophie was reunited with Macy, then took a walk along the seafront and down to the beach. Honey was straight in the water, and Sophie and grandad were instantly up to their old tricks. Soph hid behind a rock, whilst Grandad told Dad she was up this huge hill by the beach. Dad walked half way up, almost giving himself a heart-attack as this was the most exercise he had done all year, to find Soph waiting at the bottom in fits of giggles. By the time we walked back up the beach the sky was dark, except the illuminating glow coming from the huge, bright moon.

The sun setting over the beach:

The moon over the beach:

We strolled back to the flat and sat round the roaring open fire before a lovely tea of home-cooked ham, jacket potatoes and salad. After tea we played games for a bit before bedtime.

Soph enjoying the lovely fire:

Wednesday 20th
We were up early for a lovely cooked breakfast, then all quickly got ready and walked down to the harbour.

The view from the window and patio:

Grandma and Grandad walked up the beach whilst the rest of us went to the rock-pools. We had great fun searching for fish and managed to catch 8 fish and 2 crabs.

Continued below...

Adventures of An Ex Cast-Member & Disney Virgin ~ Pre-trippie ;April-May 2008 ~ Villa, RPR, CSR (Trip Report); July/August 2006 ~ Port Orleans, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Miami; January 2005 ~ All Star Movies; July 1998 - I-Drive and Fort Lauderdale - 2 weeks; Trippies; Our Spooky DLP Celebration ~ Halloween 2008; Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music ~ Tennessee Adventure 2008
ariel2006 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 08, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
...Continued.

Our catch:

After a bit we returned the fish to where they came from and walked over to the beach to meet Grandma and Grandad. Soph joined Honey in the sea for a nice paddle

We all walked back to the flat for a coffee and snack before our walk. We walked up the hill just above the flat, admiring the beautiful views over the beach and sea as we went:

At the top we reached the watch tower where we had the most amazing view over Sennen one side, and over the cliffs and onto Lands End the other. We walked round the cliffs, stopping to see the huge ship-wreck marooned on the cliffs, getting some amazing views:

Adventures of An Ex Cast-Member & Disney Virgin ~ Pre-trippie ;April-May 2008 ~ Villa, RPR, CSR (Trip Report); July/August 2006 ~ Port Orleans, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Miami; January 2005 ~ All Star Movies; July 1998 - I-Drive and Fort Lauderdale - 2 weeks; Trippies; Our Spooky DLP Celebration ~ Halloween 2008; Cowboys, Chicken and Country Music ~ Tennessee Adventure 2008
ariel2006 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 08, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post

wow! this is a great idea!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 08, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

:)

Some gorgeous views there!

Jodie
Old 27 Feb 08, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post

The sea looks a bit on the cold side. Lovely pics though and Cornish pasties
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 08, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
...Continued.

Lands End in the distance:

When we got to Lands End we had a look around, Soph had a play in the park and then we got an ice-cream and sat on a bench overlooking the sea.

We walked back to the flat and spent a bit of time relaxing, I sat next to the lovely warm fire with a stunning view out to sea reading a book (interspersed with looking at my Disney Passporter and going on my laptop).
Before tea we had a quick walk across the seafront and then came back to a delicious tea of Dad’s homemade lasagne, jacket potatoes and salad. After tea we sat a relaxed by the fire for a bit and then had a game of poker...which I actually won for once. Everyone went to bed, Nick and I were sleeping on a sofa-bed in the lounge till Dad went home on Friday and it was lovely going to bed with the fire still glowing and the distant sound of the waves against the cliffs sending us off to sleep.

Thursday 21st

We had a quick breakfast this morning and then Mum, Dad, Nick, Sophie and I jumped in the truck and drove to St Ives. We used to stay in Hayle every year and when there we would always spend a day at St Ives – it is such a beautiful, peaceful seaside town. Coming into St Ives we had the most beautiful views all across the bay and over to Hayle. We parked above Porthminster beach and walked across it and over to St Ives bay.

Porthminster beach with Hayle in the distance:

Soph having fun on the beach with St Ives behin:

We walked along the seafront, stopping in the lovely little gallery to admire the beautiful paintings, then got a traditional Cornish pasty and sat on the seafront overlooking the beach and boats.

Continued below...

Old 27 Feb 08, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
We walked back through the little cobbled town, looking in the surf shops and souvenir shops along the way.

We then drove back, stopping to take pictures of St Micheals Mount and Cape Cornwall, and through Pendeen to see if the little tea shop we liked was open. Unfortunately it was closed for the season, like much of the other local shops and cafes.
Soph doing her HSM jump in front of St Micheal's Mount:

Back at the flat we had some tea and biscuits and chilled out for a few hours before tea. Nick made his lovely Wagamama’s chicken chilli men dish, followed by tiramisu. In the evening we had margaritas and played poker, unfortunately I only came second tonight. Before bed we sat by the fire and toasted marshmallows, tasty but very sickly.

Friday 22nd
It was Dad’s last day today so Mum, Dad, Soph, Nick and I got up really early and walked to Cape Cornwall. The walk was about 6 miles, all round the coast and along the cliffs so we got great views of all the huge waves crashing against the rocks just below us.
Looking back to Sennen:

Cape Cornwall in the very distance:

Finally at Cape Cornwall:

When we arrived at Cape Cornwall (after a bit of a detour as we lost the path) Grandma and Grandad were there to pick us up and we drove back to the flat for tea and biscuits. After a 10 minute rest we went down to the beach and did some rock-pooling, this time catching 2 huge fish, a shrimp, 3 crabs and a baby starfish. We brought some fish and chips from the local cafe for lunch which were delicious and then we said goodbye to Dad who had to go back home to work.
We drove over to Lands End to get some more pictures and then had a lazy afternoon sitting by the fire and playing games. For tea Mum made curry followed by strawberry cheesecake (not quite up to The Cheesecake Factory standard I’m afraid). After tea we played Disney Scene It which was great fun and then a few rounds of poker before an earlish night.

Saturday 23rd
Grandad and Mum were up early this morning so Mum could take Grandad on the walk to Cape Cornwall, so Nick and I made the most of it and had our first and only lie-in. Nick and Grandma went to pick them up from Cape Cornwall around 11ish so Soph and I played a few games of Disney Scene It. When everyone was back grandma cooked some sausages, jacket potatoes and salad for lunch and then we all drove over to Hayle. We drove to the holiday park which we used to stay at to show Nick how lovely it was and then parked further up the beach so we could walk along it. We walked through the dunes, its always such great fun to climb to the top of the big ones and then slide or roll all the way down.

We then walked down to the beach which is 3 miles of golden sand.

Old 27 Feb 08, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
The sea was quite rough today and there were a few surfers out and the tide was coming in quite quickly so when we had walked half way up the beach we cut back through the dunes. We walked and walked and walked, up and down, up and down, but could not see our car. After about an hour of climbing up dunes and running down the other side we finally saw the carpark, by which time we were all totally shattered. On the drive back we detoured down to the Minack Theatre, an outside theatre built into a cliff edge, and walked down to the cliff which gave the most amazing view down to Porthcurnow beach.

Grandma and Grandad had driven on so when we got back to the flat the fire was already roaring so we sat down and had a glass of wine before getting ready for dinner. For dinner Mum, Soph, Nick and I went to the local pub, The Old Success. Mum had BBQ ribs, Soph had lasagne and Nick and I had cod and chips, all of which was very nice. The atmosphere was very tradionally Cornish and cosy and there was lots of locals and a local band.

After dinner we played a few games in the flat and toasted more marshmallows before our last sleep of the holiday.

Sunday 24th
We were up early today as we were leaving after lunch and had to pack up the cars and get the flat cleaned up. After the cars were packed we chilled out for a bit and then had lunch before taking a final walk by the cliffs.

Just as we were leaving it began to rain, the first rain of the holiday which was very lucky. It took about 2 hours to get back to Devon and when we got back Honey was already there waiting (she had come back in Grandma and Grandad’s car). We unpacked Mum and Sophie’s stuff and our overnight bag, we were staying at Mum’s overnight and driving home tomorrow morning. Dad came home and made us some tea which we ate whilst watching Dancing On Ice, So You Think You Can Dance? And Sophie’s favorite, Wild At Heart. It was very depressing, the last night of our holiday and back to work tomorrow. At least we have got Disney to look forward to in a few months

Old 27 Feb 08, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
ariel2006
Imagineer

ariel2006's Reviews
Originally Posted by Meeko1970 View Post
The sea looks a bit on the cold side. Lovely pics though and Cornish pasties
Yes the sea was VERY cold...and that was just putting a hand in. Soph jumped in feet first and jumped straight back out again, Honey didn't seem to mind though.

The Cornish pasties were delicious...I think its one of the things I miss the most about not visiting Cornwall every year like we used to. At least I had 2 to make up for it