Old 20 Sep 18, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Enjoyed this delicious feast without putting on any calories myself!

Thank you for sharing, have enjoyed following along.

Happy planning for next year!

M x
I always find reading food trip reports involves far fewer calories than writing them I'm glad you enjoyed it. Are you back to the East Coast next summer? I see your countdown is ticking away.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I always find reading food trip reports involves far fewer calories than writing them I'm glad you enjoyed it. Are you back to the East Coast next summer? I see your countdown is ticking away.
Just seen yours. Have you booked? That's the plan but flights so expensive at the moment. Deals to be had at the beginning or the end of the school holidays but not the middle!

M x
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Just seen yours. Have you booked? That's the plan but flights so expensive at the moment. Deals to be had at the beginning or the end of the school holidays but not the middle!

M x
Yep. Disney is booked up but not got the flights yet. I can't get motivated to trawl for deals. Need to really...

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

Hello!

I am very late to this as I was trying to hold out for the full trip report and then just couldn't resist! I have binge read your whole report over the last 3 days, and am now just so hungry!

I am always sorry when I hear about people hiving disaster dinners at 'Ohana, but am also a little pleased to know it wasn't just us. It's one of the few restaurants that we have no desire to return to.

Max with those buffet plates! So funny. Perhaps he is trying to bring back Nouvelle Cuisine from the 80s?

I don't fancy Raglan Road or Prime Time as it seems too much like 'normal' food that I can get at the pub or make at home! Poor Kate stressing about being told off.

Excellent work with the cocktails, the Dreamwalker and Himalayan Ghost at AK are now firmly on the list, as is a trip to the Nomad Lounge. Thanks for the idea as AK just seems to be hotter than the surface of the sun, and a little oasis with a terrace for a cocktail sounds like the perfect cure.

I loved House of Blues too, it was one of Chris' favuorite meals of our whole trip... and I did photograph the loos!

I wonder if Kate liked her tomato soup and cheese sandwich so much because it was quite plain and simple, a contrast to some of the other foods. You said she did feel a bit unwell one night and went for salads the next day, perhaps a bit of home style food was the key.

I despair of MCO. The food options there were dire, there wasn't a proper pub/bar and it was just rubbish. I hope the area after security is better when we go back next year as they were doing construction last year.
If cold Earl of Sandwich doesn't appeal... maybe take a Blaze pizza? Or I do like a cold chicken tender (perhaps not the fries though)!

Your cocktail work is excellent. I like that you realised you could use a QS credit to get the cocktail you wanted without paying at Typhoon Lagoon. Genius!

I really want to squeeze Cali Grill brunch into our plans next year, but I am not sure how unless we do the day after we arrive as we were going to travel somewhere else (maybe the beach or St Augustine) on the middle weekend of our trip... but I wanted to do MK and Crystal Palace on our first day and now I am so confused.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write up your foodie adventures. It will be our first time on DDP next year and you have given me some great ideas.

Looking forward to the full trippie!

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
Hello!

I am very late to this as I was trying to hold out for the full trip report and then just couldn't resist! I have binge read your whole report over the last 3 days, and am now just so hungry!

I am always sorry when I hear about people hiving disaster dinners at 'Ohana, but am also a little pleased to know it wasn't just us. It's one of the few restaurants that we have no desire to return to.

Max with those buffet plates! So funny. Perhaps he is trying to bring back Nouvelle Cuisine from the 80s?

I don't fancy Raglan Road or Prime Time as it seems too much like 'normal' food that I can get at the pub or make at home! Poor Kate stressing about being told off.

Excellent work with the cocktails, the Dreamwalker and Himalayan Ghost at AK are now firmly on the list, as is a trip to the Nomad Lounge. Thanks for the idea as AK just seems to be hotter than the surface of the sun, and a little oasis with a terrace for a cocktail sounds like the perfect cure.

I loved House of Blues too, it was one of Chris' favuorite meals of our whole trip... and I did photograph the loos!

I wonder if Kate liked her tomato soup and cheese sandwich so much because it was quite plain and simple, a contrast to some of the other foods. You said she did feel a bit unwell one night and went for salads the next day, perhaps a bit of home style food was the key.

I despair of MCO. The food options there were dire, there wasn't a proper pub/bar and it was just rubbish. I hope the area after security is better when we go back next year as they were doing construction last year.
If cold Earl of Sandwich doesn't appeal... maybe take a Blaze pizza? Or I do like a cold chicken tender (perhaps not the fries though)!

Your cocktail work is excellent. I like that you realised you could use a QS credit to get the cocktail you wanted without paying at Typhoon Lagoon. Genius!

I really want to squeeze Cali Grill brunch into our plans next year, but I am not sure how unless we do the day after we arrive as we were going to travel somewhere else (maybe the beach or St Augustine) on the middle weekend of our trip... but I wanted to do MK and Crystal Palace on our first day and now I am so confused.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write up your foodie adventures. It will be our first time on DDP next year and you have given me some great ideas.

Looking forward to the full trippie!
Resistance is futile! I'm not surprised it's taken 3 days to read it all. I love to ramble on and provide all the details.

Heck, 'Ohana, I knew what I was getting myself into and it certainly wasn't a surprise. I suppose we enjoyed the food, actually that's unfair we really enjoyed the food, but it's not easy squeezing the bread, salad, pot stickers, wings, vegetables, noodles, chicken skewers, beef skewers, prawn skewers, pudding and a cocktail into your belly in less than an hour, nevermind the fact that I think they would have liked it if we'd been in and out in 30 minutes.

Yes I think your reasoning about 50s Prime Time and Raglan Road is sound. It's sort of what has put me off from eating in the UK area in Epcot, so far in all the trips we haven't had as much as a snack from there let along a meal and people do rave about the Rose and Crown as it has good views of Illuminations...speaking of which did you read this week that there will be a new nighttime show debuting in summer 2019 so Illuminations days are numbered how sad. I'm praying we get a last chance to see it next August but this seems unlikely if they follow a similar timeline as they did for HEA. Still, a new show will be cool to see.

Please do go to Nomad Lounge, sitting out on the balcony it's hard to imagine you're in the middle of a theme park. We were waiting for the sun to go down so that we could see Pandora at night and it was a beautiful spot to sit during the twilight and obviously the cocktails helped to keep us occupied.

The drinks at AK were great, actually the food too, QS, snacks it was all good.

I'm loving your photos of the HOB toilets! How brilliant is that? Thanks for sharing them. I loved the whole vibe of the restaurant and the decor was amazing. The food was pretty tasty too and not at all expensive...to get a 2 course meal for 4 for under $100 at WDW is great. I don't think we could get the same for under £100 at home.

I didn't go into so much detail about Kate feeling poorly as it kind of felt like yucky to include it next to food photos as she was sick during the night, hence her wanting plain food with the salad. Perhaps you are right and by the end of the trip after too much sweet, sugary food she just needed something simple.

We've just had cold Domino's pizza for lunch. So, your idea of getting Blaze or chicken tenders is a good idea for stuff to munch on at MCO. It's all just so depressing sitting waiting for the plane at the gate, so much of our wandering for food and drinks is a distraction. Saying that the kids are always hungry and they hate plane food so next time we will have to make a plan for buying stuff before we leave for the airport and then we won't be disappointed.

You have to do Crystal Palace and MK on day 1 - it's the law! But, then again if this is the only opportunity to do Cali Grill brunch...I suppose if it were me I'd be so itching to get into MK I'd rush the brunch, unless you get lucky with EMH and spend all morning there then the reward could be a later brunch like we had as our ADR was for 12.30. I'm not sure I've been much help with your dilemma.

I'm glad you had fun reading about all the food we ate. I'm going to post the pre travel day later this afternoon (hopefully!).

Old 22 Sep 18, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
I've started on the full trip report for anyone who's not had enough of me!

The link to the index is in my signature and the link to the pre travel day is here ... see ya real soon

Old 22 Sep 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I've started on the full trip report for anyone who's not had enough of me!

The link to the index is in my signature and the link to the pre travel day is here ... see ya real soon
Never have enough of your disney chat.

How much work realistically do you think a full trip report is? I’m still doing food reports but I’m thinking of doing 1 for Christmas as it’s quite hard to find ones over Christmas and new year but I don’t want to start and not finish.
Old 22 Sep 18, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Never have enough of your disney chat.

How much work realistically do you think a full trip report is? I’m still doing food reports but I’m thinking of doing 1 for Christmas as it’s quite hard to find ones over Christmas and new year but I don’t want to start and not finish.
xxx

Realistically, writing the trip up is a lot more time consuming than the food report.

It's a bit like the proverbial piece of string though..I realise that's not helpful at all, it's a hard question to answer like when people ask about how much spending money to take, but I will attempt to answer.

Each day that I write is a few hours of work. It's hard to be more specific and give an actual number of hours as it depends on how much detail I go into. Plus, if we have a lazy day around the pool then it's quick to write, but if we have a full on day at MK with lots of rides then it takes longer to write. Also, you may have noticed that I will invariably go off on a tangent and write about something unrelated or want to give opinions on stuff which makes writing it up more interesting (well, for me at least!) but also means it takes longer.

Some people in trip reports keep it a bit more simple and it is more of a list of the things they did and where they went with photos thrown in and so this would be quicker to write.

As far as the process goes for me I have taken to writing as much as I can from my notes in a word document before posting as I have lost posts in the past too many times when I have been writing directly into a post on the dibb as I either accidentally closed the screen and all is lost or the internet goes down and all is lost or I get called away by the kids and have to stop...at least this way if I'm interrupted then I can save what I've written and come back to it later.

Then when I've typed as much as I can remember I copy it all into a post and insert the photos into the right place.

This last part always seems to take longer than I expect, perhaps other people have a better method for inserting the photos but I just upload them each individually. Also, seeing the photos usually jogs my memory and I add to what I've written.

For me I love the writing of the trip reports as I enjoy sharing it with everyone. You know it's going to be worth it in the end, so while it's time consuming it's definitely great fun and it means you get to relive the holiday all over again. Plus, more often than not people tell you how brilliant your day was, which is just so lovely to hear and you can have a conversation about the day all over again.

I'd love to read your Christmas trip report, and your Easter trip report, and your Summer trip report...come to think of it you may not have time to right the report before your next holiday!

Old 22 Sep 18, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Thanks. I’d love to do it as I really enjoy doing the food reports but mine are nowhere near as detailed as yours.
I suppose though it’s not like it needs to be done and finished straight away so if I take notes I could do a bit at a time.
I do like to research and plan a fair bit before my trips but Easter is just universal really which requires minimal effort on the planning front. The summer disney trip will keep me busy.
Too many holidays and not enough time this year 😂 it certainly won’t be a regular occurrence!
Thanks for all your tips. I’ll give it a go I think for the Christmas trip.
Old 23 Sep 18, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Thanks. I’d love to do it as I really enjoy doing the food reports but mine are nowhere near as detailed as yours.
I suppose though it’s not like it needs to be done and finished straight away so if I take notes I could do a bit at a time.
I do like to research and plan a fair bit before my trips but Easter is just universal really which requires minimal effort on the planning front. The summer disney trip will keep me busy.
Too many holidays and not enough time this year 😂 it certainly won’t be a regular occurrence!
Thanks for all your tips. I’ll give it a go I think for the Christmas trip.
I'm glad you are going to give it a go.

You're right there is no deadline, it's not like handing in your homework. Some of the best trip reports I've read have been the ones that haven't forced themselves to stick to a schedule and every now and then the next day pops up which is lovely. It doesn't all have to be written and posted within a month.