Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jul 19, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Rincelex
Apprentice Imagineer

Credit Card vs Currency Card

Just had a question posed to me by CC company whilst I was querying something.

She asked me why I was using a currency card in the USA and why was I not just using my CC - To be honest the only thing that I could think of to say was that the exchange rate would fluctuate with each transaction and there would be a transaction fee each time I used it, she just went Oh OK in that sort of way people do when you say something stupid.

Please tell me that I am not stupid and am not missing a trick here by not using my CC. We do take it but really only in case we run out of money on the Currency card.
Rincelex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

In my opinion, there is no good reason not to use the credit card.

You don't have to mess around putting money on and off; cc is fully covered for fraud, you dont have to spend your own money and just settle when you get home.

To me there are no advantages of a currency card as long as you have something like Halifax Clarity with no fee and get the inter bank exchange rate (the best rate achievable).

Some will say that a currency card allows you buy currency when the rate is good, but in reality you have as much chance of losing money this way as no one knows how the currency markets move (if they did they would be billionaires).

To me the only benefit for a currency card is for those who cant get a credit card.

Edited at 05:36 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Polsy
Getting to know the DIBB

I would recommend trying Revolut. You can either preload it if you want to guarantee the current rate or you can pay as you go from your GBP balance. You also get mid-market rate so is better than currency cards like FairFX. Also, if you have a balance in other currencies you can change it back to GBP at whatever the rate is at the time.
Polsy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Markpc2013
Imagineer

Mobile

Another vote for Halifax Clarity. You get the base rate rather than the tourist rate, no transaction fees and it’s far more secure as they’ll cover fraudulent transactions etc.
US 192 - Feb 1994; I-Drive- Feb 07; Fairfield Inn - June 10; Oakpoint Circle V - June 11; Homewood Suites - July 12; Calabay Parc V- June 14; Esprit Estates V - June 15; CBR - April 16; Hyatt Place, Drury's & Bridgewater V - Sept 16; CBR & V US27 - Apr 17; Eagle Pointe V - Nov 17; Lindfields V - Apr 18; Pop C- Nov 19; Universal & Cruise - Feb 20; Rosen Inn & PB- Nov 21; H2S I-Drive - Apr 22; SSR & HI S535 - Sept 22.
Markpc2013 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

I would echo what tspill has said but add, any purchases over £100 you get s.75 protection so say you were to buy a tablet in bestbuy and it was defective on return home, your CC company would be equally liable
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
123Ellen
Earning More Ears

I haven't used a currency card but I do have the Halifax Clarity CC and I have never had any problems with using it in the states and I didn't have any transaction fees.

The rate didn't fluctuate much over the two weeks I was there only by a few pence but I was stuck with the rate whilst I was out there as opposed to buying when the dollar hits a good rate.

Also another good thing about the clarity card is they don't charge you for cash withdrawals when you are abroad in case you are really stuck and need cash (although you do still have to pay the atm fee if it charges one for cash withdrawal)

Hope any of that is helpful
123Ellen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
trampslikeus
Apprentice Imagineer

Halifax Clarity every time.
Beware most other CCs charge a 2.95% transaction fee on purchases, which will bring it in line with Currency Card exchange rate
Did have a currency card for my daughter who was doing a solo trip to US, and she was too young for CC, and it worked fine for that.
trampslikeus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Rincelex
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by trampslikeus View Post
Halifax Clarity every time.
Beware most other CCs charge a 2.95% transaction fee on purchases, which will bring it in line with Currency Card exchange rate
Did have a currency card for my daughter who was doing a solo trip to US, and she was too young for CC, and it worked fine for that.
Yes my current CC Tesco is quoting around 2.75% transaction fee which I don't want to be paying every time I use the card.
Rincelex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Rincelex View Post
Yes my current CC Tesco is quoting around 2.75% transaction fee which I don't want to be paying every time I use the card.
I suspect that's why they were asking why you were using a currency card and not their credit card. They wanted to pocket the 2.75% transaction fee every time you used their credit card abroad.

Otherwise, I agree with what tspill said. We use our credit card over there just like we would do over here. So there's no additional faffing about moving money into the currency card account; we just carry on as normal.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:53 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List