Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Jul 18, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by *jovi_girl* View Post
I take all mine in cash.

I have it all divided into our daily budget which will be $40 for travel, $20 for each of the boys, $150-200 daily for food and $50 a day for me .

I know most people would say I’m stupid but I’ve done it every single holiday I’ve been on without fail and it’s what works best for me
We certainly wouldn't say you're stupid as we do very much the same.

Our daily "allowance" for two 70+ year olds is $100. That covers breakfast at the likes of Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel or IHOP and dinners at Longhorn, Bonefish, Carrabba's or similar. We have a daily envelope and what's left goes into a kitty envelope. We use cash for all restaurants, gas and supermarket shopping. May use CC at B&BW or Macys now and again.

Take around $1,500 to start with (we go for 4 weeks now ) and top up at Wawa.

I've seen on here Dibbers having trouble with pre-loaded cards but I've never had a sales assistant saying "Some crazy guy from the UK has tried to pay with some strange bits of paper with a picture of George Washington on it"

Mick
Old 10 Jul 18, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We are going to change £500 equivalent for cash I think. It will take the load off the Halifax clarity card where everything else is going on.
2016 Disney - LBV
2018 Universal - Pointe Orlando
Kinggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 18, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
PENNYC
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks for the input everyone. Next question where do you get your cash from for the best rate? As £500 cash is not a huge amount do you just use your local travel agents?
PENNYC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 18, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I always check on moneysaving expert
travelmoney.moneysavingexper...holiday-money/
Also use The Money Shop as they usually have good rates.
I find the travel agents to be the worst rate usually.
We also do cash divided in to separate envelopes for each day.

Edited at 06:50 AM.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 18, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by PENNYC View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. Next question where do you get your cash from for the best rate? As £500 cash is not a huge amount do you just use your local travel agents?
We usualky use Debenhams as we get a slightly better rate as cardholder
2016 Disney - LBV
2018 Universal - Pointe Orlando
Kinggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 18, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Just_Pete
Excited about Disney

I have now gone pretty much Cash free. On my first of Last Years trips, I did completely cash free. But that trip involved a little more off site, and needed to borrow a few dollars of my friends for tips etc.

On my last two, I have taken just minimal cash and done everything on Monzo. I think I ended up making one small cash withdrawal on my last trip. No more than $120.
Just_Pete is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 18, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

We always took cash and travellers cheques. This year is the first time using a pre loaded card. I have changed up $200 to get us started, but I will be drawing cash out and dividing it up into daily spends as we always have done. I like having a set amount per day and carrying over any left. It’s what I have always done, so I’ll stick to it.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 18, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PENNYC View Post
I've got my cash from John Lewis. I ordered it on line then picked it up from my local Waitrose a couple of days later.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 18, 01:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I am an American mother and remember 15 years ago not being happy when my boys were flying back and forth to their universities without a cent in cash and pushing $20. in their pockets. (one went to school 450 miles away, one 1900 miles.)

I have since gotten to agree with them. There really is no need for cash. I carry my trusty debit card and a credit card for a car rental and have never needed cash. I can't think of any place I would be that only took cash and swiping/inserting a card is much faster and wasier.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 18, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post

We are going in 12 days (!) and I have just ordered and collected from Post Office £500 in dollars. We are 2 adults and 2 teens (with 2 more adults and 2 more teens). The boys have their own spending money in $ already. We are in a villa and will be using Halifax credit card and pay it off when we get back. The £500 in $ is just really for parking, icecreams, fuel and other incidentals where you can't or don't want to use a card. I am wary of buying fuel with a c/c when you have to prepay, once got charged twice and couldn't recover it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List