Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Nov 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Manc_Chris
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Despite the fact he cheated, I’ve never understood to this day how Peter Shilton, at 6’ was beaten in the air by 5’5” Maradona.
Spot on! I've said the same thing for years - Shilton was slow off his line and should've cleaned Maradona and the ball out at the same time.

I only saw Maradona in the flesh once, at Old Trafford in 1984 when United saw off his Barcelona - he didn't have a great game but I feel privileged to have seen him.

RIP
Jul '95: Kissimmee/Keys Oct '96/Oct '97/Aug '05/Oct '07: Kissimmee. May '98: Kissimmee Oct '01: RotondaOct 2012:Kissimmee/Anna Maria IslandSep '14: Davenport/RotondaOct '16: Cape Coral/Spring Hill Sep '17: Kissimmee/Rotonda Oct ‘18: Oregon/California Sep ‘19: Highlands Reserve/Bradenton Feb '22: Sunridge Woods Oct '23: New England Road Trip
Manc_Chris is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
All such assessment of great sportsmen is very subjective and personal, but...

He was undoubtably one of the all time greats, flawed or otherwise. To me he is one of just four midfielders/strikers that fit the ticket, (Sorry George, but you are not one of them). Normally, I am also generally wary of labelling the current crop.

Pele (although he never played club football outside of Brazil).
Maradona
Messi
Ronaldo.
3 South American’s and a Portuguese.

I do not know enough to comment on defenders who might join that illustrious crop, but P Maldini may enjoy similar status... and F Baresi... and F Beckenbauer.

Gazza? Forget it.
Bobby Moore, rated by Pele as the best defender ever
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
m

I recommend the recent documentary if you get the chance, puts his life into some context without covering up the lows and self inflicted wounds.
If that’s the docufilm one I saw a few months back on C4 (I think) then it was excellent. And I say that as someone who doesn’t really follow football at all.

Felt very similar in style to the equally excellent one on Senna from 10 years ago.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlueAngel
Imagineer

Players are defined by moments within a career.

I can forget that he cheated to punch the ball into the net against England.

I can never forgive his smug lack of remorse in the aftermath. ‘The hand of god’ and all that. My disdain for him has never diminished in the years since.

I am indifferent to his demise. He had a talent that nobody else has had before or since, but chose Cocaine instead. I was far more saddened by the demise of Nobby Styles a few weeks back. He never had a millionth of Maradona’s talent, but maximised everything that he did have through hard work and dedication.
Spot on, though I’ll never agree Maradona was one of the greatest footballers. But you summed this up very nicely.

RIP Murphy 24.4.1999 - 4.5.2013
1995 - Tunisia, 2003 - Lanzarote & Gran Canaria, 2004 - Majorca, 2005 - Florida - ASMo. 2006 - Florida - Villa, 2007 - Salou, 2008 - Pop Century, 2009 - Kenya, 2010 - Eygpt, 2011 - Tenerife- 2012 Rhodes, Crete - 2013&2014, Florida - 2014&2015
TrueBlueAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 20, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Perthite
Very Serious Dibber

The most amazingly talented player.

I’m guessing footballers didn’t undergo many drug tests in those days?
Perthite is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 02:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Manc1979
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

He was undoubtably one of the all time greats, flawed or otherwise. To me he is one of just four midfielders/strikers that fit the ticket, (Sorry George, but you are not one of them). Normally, I am also generally wary of labelling the current crop.

Maradona
Messi
Ronaldo.

I do not know enough to comment on defenders who might join that illustrious crop, but P Maldini may enjoy similar status... and F Baresi... and F Beckenbauer.

Gazza? Forget it.
Pele played in the U.S
Manc1979 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 02:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Manc1979
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Manc_Chris View Post
Spot on! I've said the same thing for years - Shilton was slow off his line and should've cleaned Maradona and the ball out at the same time.

I only saw Maradona in the flesh once, at Old Trafford in 1984 when United saw off his Barcelona - he didn't have a great game but I feel privileged to have seen him.

RIP
He played rubbish because of how loud the place was that night ...I’ve been at games with amazing atmospheres but it was bouncing
Manc1979 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 02:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I saw Maradonna live at Wembley England V Rest of the world what he could do with a ball was amazing we saw him with two defenders on him make it look like the ball was kicked straight up and the go across at 90 degrees.

I think George Best is the most overrated player of al time and I have never really watched Pele but how would they do in the modern game ? Christiana Ronaldo I think is the best player I have ever seen
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by Perthite View Post
The most amazingly talented player.

I’m guessing footballers didn’t undergo many drug tests in those days?
He was kicked out of USA 1994 for testing positive for cocaine and ‘slimming pills’.
People forget that

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17

Maradona
Messi
Ronaldo.

Gazza? Forget it.
It’s great that we can all have an opinion.
I would always place Ronaldo above Messi for the reason that he has tested himself at 3 top clubs in 3 different countries and been the best player in that league by a mile.
Messi has never tested himself outside his Barca bubble.
I have seen Messi play and was mesmerised by his ability to run with the ball apparently stuck to his boot laces, but Ronaldo still edges it for me.

Defender wise it would be Maldini and Beckenbauer, gentlemen of the game
And an honourable mention to Cruyff - who else has a turn named after them?

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List