Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Apr 16, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jacy29
Proud to wear my Ears

Hollywood & Vine vs Mama Melrose's

Just booked my ADR's for Oct, and booked Mama Melrose's fantasmic package, but the latest I could get was 4pm.

Do you think I should stick with this or try and get in a little later at Hollywood & Vine?

This is our first time so I'm feeling a little clueless!

Thank you!
jacy29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 16, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Wigan Lass
Imagineer

The fantasmic package fills unpopular dining slots so you don't generally get much beyond 5pm anywhere. We got 445 at mama Melrose last year and have got 520pm for brown Derby this year.

As for H&V versus Mama Melrose, for me it's absolutely no competition, mama Melrose every single day. We ate at H&V last year, thought it was really grubby there and wouldn't go back. Had a great meal at mamas though, huge portions really nice.
Yacht Club October 2017
Contemporary October 2019
Wigan Lass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 16, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Cannot comment on H&V (but have read enough reviews, not all of them favourable). Had the Fantasmic package last year at MM and loved it! Great food, plenty of it. Would definitely book again!
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 16, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
greggo6
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I have eaten at both Mama Melrose 3 times and Hollywood & Vine 3 times and I had great meals at both restaurants each time.
H&V does get some lousy reviews but I cannot understand why, don't get me wrong its not fine dining, it is a buffet and that's what you get. There is always a great choice of fresh food. Mama Melrose also has a great menu, I love their pasta, the only thing I don't like about MM is the desert menu but that's only a personal thing as I don't like many Italian deserts.
Old 25 Apr 16, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Wigan Lass
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greggo6 View Post
I have eaten at both Mama Melrose 3 times and Hollywood & Vine 3 times and I had great meals at both restaurants each time.
H&V does get some lousy reviews but I cannot understand why, don't get me wrong its not fine dining, it is a buffet and that's what you get. There is always a great choice of fresh food. Mama Melrose also has a great menu, I love their pasta, the only thing I don't like about MM is the desert menu but that's only a personal thing as I don't like many Italian deserts.
When we went H&V was grubby...and a bit dirty too. That's why I would give it a bad review.

Agree with you on the MM desserts though. That's the only bad bit of the meal, but TBH I was that full from the bread, starter and main, I was a bit glad I didn't like them
Yacht Club October 2017
Contemporary October 2019
Wigan Lass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 16, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I can only comment on H&V and must say it was one of the worst meals we had in Orlando. We only booked it for the Fantasmic tickets and we were so disappointed- we turned up at our booking time only to be told there was a wait, so we stood outside in the sun with about another 50 people who were also waiting for their tables to become available. We ended up waiting nearly 45 mins! Once inside it was bedlam, super noisy and very crowded. Our server was lovely but quite obviously harassed and we only saw him the once for drinks and then had to track him down to sort out our bill. The food was average - we are in a theme park so I was not expecting fine dining but it wasn't cheap! We have had friends eat at MM and they loved it! Good luck with your decision 😊
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 16, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
jacy29
Proud to wear my Ears

Thank you all for your replies: they've been very helpful! I think I'll stick with my booking at MM and keep looking out for a later time.
jacy29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 16, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jacy29 View Post
Thank you all for your replies: they've been very helpful! I think I'll stick with my booking at MM and keep looking out for a later time.
I was told by the disney lady that 4.05 was the latest time for Fantasmic MM because the show is at 7.30 so they want to make sure you are finished before then? Plus it fills the restaurants at less busy times to? I have a 4.30 at HBD on the 26th and that's the latest I could get for that. I could be wrong but that's what she told me?

By the way it's 3 courses for the package instead of 2 so think that can take longer too? I think you have made a good choice with MM (we had originally booked it but changed it to HBD as already have a booking for MM earlier in holiday)

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023

Edited at 10:07 AM.
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 16, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
jacy29
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks for that Kat. That would make sense actually because I was on MDE booking my ADR's at 11am yesterday (180 days + 10) and was surprised that I couldn't get any later than 4pm.
Old 26 Apr 16, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Dancat
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
I was told by the disney lady that 4.05 was the latest time for Fantasmic MM because the show is at 7.30 so they want to make sure you are finished before then? Plus it fills the restaurants at less busy times to? I have a 4.30 at HBD on the 26th and that's the latest I could get for that. I could be wrong but that's what she told me?

By the way it's 3 courses for the package instead of 2 so think that can take longer too? I think you have made a good choice with MM (we had originally booked it but changed it to HBD as already have a booking for MM earlier in holiday)

Kat
ah this would make sense then as I could only get 3.25 for our ADR at MM for the Fantasmic package. We are going to have it as a late lunch/early tea.

DLP - Newport Bay Club - June 2012
OKW/ASM/RPR - July 2016
The 'Don't panic - we've got this' Trip report July 2016 **COMPLETE**
Dancat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread