Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 15 Apr 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
tka
slightly serious Dibber

tka's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Florida & Anxiety!

In November last year I was diagnosed with Anxiety. I had never suffered from it to the extent I have done recently.

Yesterday, I was discussing with my DH about what we're doing for food the day we travel to the hotel and other wee bits and pieces such as when to start the proper packing and I suddenly got the familiar feeling in my stomach which spread to my chest (The same feeling I'm getting now just typing this...) Anyway, it's my SDs first trip so I want things to go smoothly (haha! )...

When DH and I go on holiday, we plan most things and we enjoy that, but I know this time, with a 10 yr old who will probably be unpredictable, it's making me feel anxious!

Any tips on what I can do (apart from my breathing techniques) in the parks? I especially freak out when its super busy etc. I don't want my anxiety to be a focus on this trip and I certainly don't want the melt down which follows as I don't want to ruin this trip for anyone.

Please no judging. Only serious replies only. Thanks x
Old 15 Apr 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
girlgonelondon/disney-world-with-anxiety/

wdwforgrownups/articl...t-disney-world
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tka
slightly serious Dibber

tka's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Thank you
Old 15 Apr 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelE
Excited about Disney

I find these really helpful. I'm not sure if it is the pastilles themselves or the fact that I have to slow down, take out the tin, open the tin (it's one of those quirky ones where you press in the centre of the lid), take out a pastille, pop it in my mouth, close the lid and put the tin away again - by the time I have done all of those steps, I am usually on the way to calming down.
RachelE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelE
Excited about Disney

Whoops, forgot the link: amazon/Nelsons-Res.../dp/B00361FTE2
RachelE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
The Duchess
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi my 17 year old dd suffers with anxiety, we find that going through our plan each morning gives her structure to focus on, we also take each day in sections so it doesn't seem so daunting.

There are quite areas of the park if you need a breather, maybe have a meditation app on your phone and take some headphones.

I hope you are able to have a wonderful holiday

I Drive -1990 / Windsor Hills 2008
Vegas - 2014
Spandau in Dubai 40th b day trip - 2015
3 weeks all Star sports\ cabana bay 2016
The Duchess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I don't know if you're familiar with it, but the Headspace app worked wonders with my anxiety on our honeymoon in 2017. It's just guided meditations, but it's so good.

I didn't actually suffer from it when I was in Orlando but I still use it every now and again if I feel myself starting to get anxious.

Advance planning and taking the day in sections is a great idea (as has been suggested).

The best thing you can do with anxiety is to literally let it do its thing. Don't try to fight it (because that will make it worse), but to just say to yourself, 'Okay, well that's just the way things are at the moment', and to ignore it. I know it's very difficult, particularly if you get physical symptoms (I had a pounding heart and it was very scary) but it is genuinely the best way to handle it.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
bex85chelt
Excited about Disney

In terms of practically managing your days, i would suggest getting your SD involved a little with the planning, telling you which rides she wants to do etc and giving her an idea of what it will be like before you go. Then perhaps have a plan for the main part of the day but schedule some unplanned time so you can all have some input on what you want to do a bit closer to the time, maybe discuss the next day every evening when you are relaxing and ensure everyone knows the plan and is happy to stick to it. I think the main thing with SD will be making sure she's hydrated and getting enough rest otherwise i'm sure she'll be happy enough to follow the plan.

Maybe agree with your DH a plan for if you need to leave the situation / take a breather whatever might help - be that them going off to do a ride whilst you find somewhere quiet or all taking a breather together and getting a water / drink / snack somewhere
bex85chelt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Kpzorse
Excited about Disney

Kpzorse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I second the headspace app. I tried to a short ten minute session every morning before heading to the parks.
You should also try CBD oil. I'm not sure you can take it into the parks with you but I find that it works wonders with my anxiety back here in the uk. Just a couple of drops under the tongue and it calms me right down when I'm feeling all worked up. Holland and Barrat do a good one.

Sept '18 - POFQ, March '18- AKL, DLP Feb '18- Cheyenne, Sept '16- POR, Feb '15- CBR
Kpzorse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

There are a few articles that you can google which list quiet areas in all the parks where you can go and take a moment if you need to. I'd save the list somewhere accessible so you can refer to it if you start to feel overwhelmed.

If you're in MK then you can always leave DH and SD and go chill out in one of the monorail resorts for a short while, and grab a brew. Epcot has the Boardwalk or Yacht and Beach club where you can escape to.