Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 Jan 22, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Holiday time
Serious Dibber

Avis v Hertz

Hi,

Andy has quoted me with prices for Hertz and Avis for our car rental. Is there any advantage to one company over the other (for example a newer larger fleet, better customer service etc.) or should I go for the cheapest? We will be collecting from MCO.

Thanks!
Holiday time is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Antsp
Excited about Disney

Go for the cheapest, car stock seems to be older at the moment
Antsp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
fiffio
Imagineer

You can sign up for Avis preferred so can go straight to the garage to get the car. Not sure if that’s an option with hertz.

Not sure on toll costs or cost to return empty if you tend to do that.

We’ve just rebooked with Avis having used alamo on all previous visits, at least if you can head straight out to garage it’s almost as good as skip the counter.
fiffio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fiffio View Post
You can sign up for Avis preferred so can go straight to the garage to get the car. Not sure if that’s an option with hertz.

Not sure on toll costs or cost to return empty if you tend to do that.

We’ve just rebooked with Avis having used alamo on all previous visits, at least if you can head straight out to garage it’s almost as good as skip the counter.
Definitely sign up for Avis preferred it’s a great time saver, u can use the hut in the garage to prepay for fuel if you so wish
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Holiday time
Serious Dibber

Thanks for the answers. Think I will go with Avis so I can skip the queue. They are marginally cheaper so it makes sense.
Holiday time is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
CCFCRJ
Very Serious Dibber

Hope you don't mind the hijack of the thread... but when people refer to straight to garage I'm not sure I fully follow... obviously no need to go to check in desk...but at garage what do you do? I've booked via BA and have joined Avis preferred.
CCFCRJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CCFCRJ View Post
Hope you don't mind the hijack of the thread... but when people refer to straight to garage I'm not sure I fully follow... obviously no need to go to check in desk...but at garage what do you do? I've booked via BA and have joined Avis preferred.
If it’s your first time using Avis preferred then u go to the little office in the garage they will check ur paper work, swipe your credit card for a refundable deposit on ur card, show your licence and then hand u the paperwork (ensure there are no extra charges), u can also prepay ur fuel so u can return it empty if you want then u jump into ur allocated car (the swap lane is long gone sadly) and u go to the barrier where a final check takes place then ur free!
If it’s not ur first time using Avis preferred then ur name will be on the digital board with a allocated parking bay where ur car is ur paperwork will be inside and u go straight to the barrier where they do a check of ur licence and the paperwork and ur good to go

Edited at 10:57 PM.
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
HenrysDad
Imagineer

HenrysDad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Orlandoguy View Post
If it’s your first time using Avis preferred then u go to the little office in the garage they will check ur paper work, swipe your credit card for a refundable deposit on ur card, show your licence and then hand u the paperwork (ensure there are no extra charges), u can also prepay ur fuel so u can return it empty if you want then u jump into ur allocated car (the swap lane is long gone sadly) and u go to the barrier where a final check takes place then ur free!
If it’s not ur first time using Avis preferred then ur name will be on the digital board with a allocated parking bay where ur car is ur paperwork will be inside and u go straight to the barrier where they do a check of ur licence and the paperwork and ur good to go
We have used both and had no issues with either, but as advised, sign up for Avis preferred / Hertz Gold Club before you go.

Regarding AVIS and the digital board, how do they know which terminal you will decide to pick your car up from or do they just match it to your airline's check in terminal?

I have picked up from both sides with BA and VA, and know this year I will need to go to A to pick up my visitor toll pass, so will probably elect to use terminal A car pick up - I guess I really need to check if BA are terminal A or B?
Old 26 Jan 22, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by HenrysDad View Post
We have used both and had no issues with either, but as advised, sign up for Avis preferred / Hertz Gold Club before you go.

Regarding AVIS and the digital board, how do they know which terminal you will decide to pick your car up from or do they just match it to your airline's check in terminal?

I have picked up from both sides with BA and VA, and know this year I will need to go to A to pick up my visitor toll pass, so will probably elect to use terminal A car pick up - I guess I really need to check if BA are terminal A or B?
I have always used A side and my name has been on the board, if u went to B and my name wasn’t on the board just go to the kiosk and they would sort you out with a car then and there
Old 28 Jan 22, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
tartangirl
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by Orlandoguy View Post
I have always used A side and my name has been on the board, if u went to B and my name wasn’t on the board just go to the kiosk and they would sort you out with a car then and there
I got an email from Hertz telling me to go to A side (even though BA fly into B side).

I turned up and my name wasn’t on the board -the kiosk in the garage sorted me in a couple of minutes - I was told B side had an Infiniti QX30 waiting for me but I could take a BMW X1 from A side if I preferred - which I did.

They also said the emails weren’t very reliable 🤣
tartangirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List