Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

View Poll Results: Do you hire a car when staying on site at WDW?
Yes - for the whole duration of the holiday 126 63.00%
Yes - only for part of the holiday 31 15.50%
No 43 21.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Jun 18, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

This is our journey home from MK to Pop last night.

We arrived at the bus stop at 22.07, MK was open until 1am for EMH and 11pm for normal park closing. The fireworks were 21.15 and over by 21.35.

This 'bendy' bus was at the stop when we arrived and left at 22.09. We couldn't get on this one and were the second party waiting for the next bus.

As you can see the bus is packed. There was another bus waiting to pull in and as soon as this one departed we were on the back seat of the next one. There were a few people standing but it wasn't packed like the one in the picture. We arrived back in our room at pop at 22.39, precisely 30 minutes after we arrived at the bus stop.

Now it had been raining and the bus was absolutely freezing. Mind you, so were all the attractions and restaurants in the MK. I suspect the monorail would have been too. Air con isn't just in the realm of the Disney Bus.

Now I have driven to the MK many times and I am far from convinced that I could have made it back to Pop any sooner. The line for the ferry boat snaked back to the MK security check point while the monorail line backed up to the entrance tapstiles. Then there is the parking tram and the drive back.

Now if this was a different park (ie not MK) then the car would have probably been quicker.

Like I said in a PP - this is my first trip in 15 without a car and nothing beats the convenience of having one. If I stay onsite at Disney, with the dining plan again then I will not hire one in the future. It is more inconvenient using the buses but for me it isn't $600 (plus future resort parking charges) worth of inconvenience. Now some folks will always prefer to have a car and I completely respect that. This isn't about car Vs no car - I would have one with me right now if circumstances hadn't prevented me getting one.

For the record the maximum wait for a bus from Pop to the parks has been 7 minutes so far.

Hopefully this thread will give folks an idea of what using the buses is actually like compared to driving. They can then make an informed decision.

Edited at 01:16 PM.
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Thanks for all the replies. It's interesting to see different perspectives and opinions.
Old 14 Jun 18, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by adamtoonarmy View Post
This is our journey home from MK to Pop last night.

We arrived at the bus stop at 22.07, MK was open until 1am for EMH and 11pm for normal park closing. The fireworks were 21.15 and over by 21.35.

This 'bendy' bus was at the stop when we arrived and left at 22.09. We couldn't get on this one and were the second party waiting for the next bus.

As you can see the bus is packed. There was another bus waiting to pull in and as soon as this one departed we were on the back seat of the next one. There were a few people standing but it wasn't packed like the one in the picture. We arrived back in our room at pop at 22.39, precisely 30 minutes after we arrived at the bus stop.

Now it had been raining and the bus was absolutely freezing. Mind you, so were all the attractions and restaurants in the MK. I suspect the monorail would have been too. Air con isn't just in the realm of the Disney Bus.

Now I have driven to the MK many times and I am far from convinced that I could have made it back to Pop any sooner. The line for the ferry boat snaked back to the MK security check point while the monorail line backed up to the entrance tapstiles. Then there is the parking tram and the drive back.

Now if this was a different park (ie not MK) then the car would have probably been quicker.

Like I said in a PP - this is my first trip in 15 without a car and nothing beats the convenience of having one. If I stay onsite at Disney, with the dining plan again then I will not hire one in the future. It is more inconvenient using the buses but for me it isn't $600 (plus future resort parking charges) worth of inconvenience. Now some folks will always prefer to have a car and I completely respect that. This isn't about car Vs no car - I would have one with me right now if circumstances hadn't prevented me getting one.

For the record the maximum wait for a bus from Pop to the parks has been 7 minutes so far.

Hopefully this thread will give folks an idea of what using the buses is actually like compared to driving. They can then make an informed decision.
Great post

I agree, having done both, it’s really the last busses that are the issue, and the same can be said for getting to car parks.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 18, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Belle2908
Getting Excited

We’ve done 2 trips with the kids in the last 4 years and have never hired a car for our time in Disney. We get the ME from the airport and then use the buses, we’ve stayed at Wilderness lodge and POR and never had a problem at all. Yes they are busy when the parks shut, but they lay on lots more buses at this time and if you don’t get on the first one the next one is there in minutes. Maybe we’ve just been lucky, but myself and my DH just like to relax and enjoy our time in Disney, we get heartily sick of London traffic so it actually feels like a bonus not having to drive! We usually hire our car from DCCC, when we’re leaving and moving on to the beach. This is exactly what we’ll do next year too.
Belle2908 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
LexiBantam
Excited about Disney

We have't hired a car, and haven't missed not having one. I'm a bit of a stress head when it comes to driving - I don't like driving, and I'm not much better as a passenger, and that's in this country! Being abroad with unfamiliar roads just adds to my dislike and stress!
Disney transport is now part of our trip - we've met some lovely people, and had some hilarious conversations. We may have just been lucky, but have never had to wait long, and only had two really crowded journeys (both at closing)
LexiBantam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Yes, we always hire a car when staying onsite, and will do again next year, and keep it for the whole length of holiday.

My hubby likes driving and it's just quicker and more convenient all round we think, especially as we like to bob about visiting other Disney resorts and eating there, plus going offsite to supermarket and the malls and sometimes out to the coasts for the day.

Can't imagine not having a car as we've never not had one over there, but funny enough, Ive just booked a last-minute extra trip to Orlando (not Disney) for next month and as hubby not coming will be reliant upon Uber for the first time ever! Eeek!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Jimsdadhalifax
Very Serious Dibber

We never hire a car when staying onsite - for me that is one of the main reasons for staying onsite. I do appreciate how it would be more convenient with a car but we find the bus relaxing and generally the service is excellent.

I really like the buses at Disney - the talks you get on the buses (don't forget your sunscreen, take small children by the hand, you'll be home soon etc) and the music for each park are all part of the experience.
Jimsdadhalifax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
damaged
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We always hire a car. We have two kids, and the ease of being able to leave as when we please so easily is what sways us.
Upcoming: Feb 24' - Hubby's 40th
damaged is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Moleymole
Imagineer

Yes we always hire a car when staying onsite. I don’t mind using Disney transportation every now and then, but wouldnt want to rely on it solely.
OKW again 2015 and Anna Maria
2017 Contemporary Resort & Anna Maria
ALWAYS AUGUST!

August 2022 my 50th! - Universal Hardrock Hotel, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk villas, Polynesian, Anna Maria Island.

Moleymole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Stopped taking a car years ago when staying on site, always find the buses to be the way to go. On a basic note hire a car to come from the airport and back with maybe 2 shopping trips to a mall during your holiday, taxi cost with tip to the mall twice there and back $200 , much cheaper than car hire and less hassle of the driving. Magical express from airport and back.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List