Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Apr 16, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
-Florida2016-
Gone all Goofy

DVLA Check code or IDP needed to drive in Florida?

Morning all,

We're off to Florida for our first time in may and CANNOT WAIT

We've hired an 8 seater through Alamo and taken the Gold option to include additional drivers etc. All the intended drivers have photocard licences and it was my understanding we only required the cards and not the counterparts.

I've already done 'skip the counter' and thought I was being incredibly organised until someone mentioned I needed a code from the DVLA to drive abroad?

This is the first time I've EVER heard of this... on checking the DVLA website there's also mention of an International Drivers Permit (IDP)?

Can anyone confirm whether or not either of these are needed?

Thanks in advance
-Florida2016- is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 16, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
I can confirm that you definitely DO NOT need a DVLA code to hire a car in the US, nor do you need an IDP if your licence is written in English.

Debra
Old 20 Apr 16, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
As per Debra above.
The problem is a load of websites are way out of date and people read them and then get confused through no fault of their own.

No code
No IDP
No paper counterpart

Good to go then - the only quirk is those who never had a photocard license which doesn't apply to you.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 16, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
-Florida2016-
Gone all Goofy

Thanks guys,

I thought the person who told me was pulling my leg when they mentioned it...then I checked the DVLA website and panicked (only a bit though ). Also, like you say, there's conflicting advice on some sites.

Thanks for clearing it up
-Florida2016- is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 16, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
jheaton
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Have a great trip- no need to worry about codes etc.

we need an 8 seater next August so could you please post on the Dibb what you got(or do you already know?)
1995 OKW/1997 Villa/ Gulf /2000 Villa/Rotunda /2002 Villa/Rotunda/2004 Southern Dunes/ AMI/2006 West Stonebridge/2007 Bradenton/2009 Sandy Ridge/2011Sandy Ridge/ AMI /2012SSR/2012Esprit/2013 SSR/2013 2wks AMI/2014 AMI/2015 OKW/2015 AMI/2016 AMI/ Bonita Springs/2017 2weeks Bellavida/2018 AMI/2019 Bonita Springs and Universal/2022 Gulf Coast Hurricane Ian/2023POFQ
jheaton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 16, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
As per Debra above.
The problem is a load of websites are way out of date and people read them and then get confused through no fault of their own.

No code
No IDP
No paper counterpart

Good to go then - the only quirk is those who never had a photocard license which doesn't apply to you.
OP

Mr Morrow is always your "go to" man when it comes to all things to do with car hire.

However if it is your first time driving I do post some tips of mine now and again based on over 30 visits and probably 25,000 USA miles under my belt

There’s lots of good advice in the DIBB guide but here’s a few tips from me which may be repeated by others

• It is reasonably well known that you can turn right at most red traffic lights unless there is a sign saying “no turn on red”. You must come to a complete stop and give way to any pedestrians and traffic on the road you are joining.
• You can legally overtake (or undertake!) in any lane so make sure you use your mirrors.
• Roundabouts (traffic circles as they are known) are very rare and I think I’ve encountered less than half a dozen in over 30 visits. There is one at the entrance to Loop West if you approach from Osceola Parkway.
• Four way stops are fairly common. You basically come to a complete stop and proceed in the order that you arrived at the junction. It is a law that is very well respected.
• American cars usually only have a registration plate at the rear so you should park bonnet in first if the parking bay is perpendicular to the road. Not sure if this law is enforced in private car parks like Walmart though as many people seem to drive through.
• In many places if you are parallel parking you should park at the kerb on the side of the road in the direction of travel IYKWIM
• If a yellow school bus is stationary with its hazards on and red warning sign out you must stop behind it and you cannot overtake. If you are on a single carriageway you must stop whatever way you are travelling.
• On multi-lane highways like I-4 if an emergency vehicle is stationary at the side of the road you must give it one clear lane of clearance. So if a police car is stationary in lane 1 for instance you should pass it in lane 3. If changing lanes is not an option because of traffic conditions then you can stay in your lane but reduce your speed to at least 20mph below the speed limit on that road.
• Don’t get stressed by tolls and you are not forced to have a toll pass. Read all the pros and cons on toll passes (there a few hundred threads on here) and make your own mind up. At present there are no cashless tolls in the Orlando area. There are however some unmanned toll plazas. The plazas on the main roads are manned. Just make sure that you keep well over to the right in the cash lane. Give the attendant no more than a $20 bill and ask for change. However many (if not all) of the plazas on exit ramps will not be manned and you will need to throw some quarters into the basket. I think most are 75 cents.
• Loads of threads about filling up with gas on here as well especially how it can be difficult using a credit card at the pump as it asks for a zip code. We always use cash. Go inside and say $40 on pump 6 please and the pump will stop. If you can’t get $40 in the tank go back inside and get change.
• On the Interstates, the junction numbers are not sequential as they are in the UK but reflect the mileage from the road’s starting point. Very handy if you join I-4 at j65 and want to leave at j78 for example. You know you’ve got 13 miles to drive on the Interstate.
• You absolutely do not need an International Driving Permit (if your licence is in English), a code from DVLA or the paper part of your licence if you have the plastic photocard type.

Mick
Old 20 Apr 16, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
-Florida2016-
Gone all Goofy

Thanks for the info Mick, I appreciate your time spent on this...this sort of info is invaluable. I'll also be sure to have a read in the Dibb guide too.

Re the car jheaton, I'll be sure to keep you posted and pop some pics on here.

Thanks again for your help guys...this is why I love the Dibb!
Old 20 Apr 16, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by -Florida2016- View Post
Thanks for the info Mick, I appreciate your time spent on this...this sort of info is invaluable. I'll also be sure to have a read in the Dibb guide too.

Re the car jheaton, I'll be sure to keep you posted and pop some pics on here.

Thanks again for your help guys...this is why I love the Dibb!
It's good to have positive feedback - us regular dibbers do appreciate it when people come back and thank us.

Unfortunately there are a few who pose a question that might take some time and effort to answer and then never come back on just to say thanks.

And finally a terrible admission. I must have posted my driving tips dozens of times over the years. They are not always original replies. I have them saved as a Word document which I just copy and paste

Don't tell anyone else though will you

Mick
Old 20 Apr 16, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
-Florida2016-
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

One more question mick if I may.

You mention a toll pass. We're collecting our vehicle from MCO and staying in Windsor Hills, close to Disney. We'll mainly be travelling to and from the parks (Disney, universal, Busch, seaworld) and doing some shopping in the Premium Outlets. Is a toll pass worth it? Or, in your opinion, is it just a easy to pay cash?

Thanks again
Old 20 Apr 16, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I'll answer for Mick, we are mates by the way!
The SunPass facility to skip the tolls is a lot quicker but there are some huge what if's
Alamo for example you are automatically opted in and there is nothing to pay if you decide to pay cash
Some other Companies you need to physically opt in at the counter or opt out
It's not unknown for people to use the cash lane and still get hit for an admin fee as the transponder picks up the lane next to yours.

As you are with Alamo you have the easiest option and the cheapest ref the admin fee, see this link.

sunpass/rentalcar

I pay cash. Also they take up to a $20 bill and give you change

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 01:57 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread