Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 22 Apr 12, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Exclamation Problem with Villa Owner

Well it's 6 months yesterday since we arrived home from our latest Florida Holiday and we are still waiting on the security deposit from the villa owner. I booked this particular villa as it was advertised on the Dibb so felt it would be safer than booking a random villa off the internet.

On our return I waited a month hoping that owner would send the security deposit but when it didn't arrived I sent her a PM on the Dibb asking when I could expect to receive it. She never replied. I sent another PM and an email - as she didn't appear to come on the Dibb daily- still no response. Imagine my horror when just before Christmas I logged on and saw she was no longer a Dibb Villa Owner. I emailed Smax & Stu and asked if there were problems as I was awaiting my security deposit and Simon (Smax) advised me that she was ignoring their PMS and emails so they had removed her Dibb Villa Status - all sounds horribley familiar.

I decided not to contact her during the Christmas break in case there were any illness or family problems and it didn't feel right chasing her up over the festive period. Anyway In January and February I again sent PMS and emails asking for the return of my deposit. Eureka on 11th February she replied and said "You haven't received your deposit - give me your address and I will send it" Despite me including my address on every PM and email I had sent I duly replied the same day giving my address - again. And now here we are in April - 2 months later and still no deposit. I despair. So it looks like we will have to go down the small claims court route which I really didn't want to do but she is leaving me no option.

To say the whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth is an understatement. I am posting this on the Dibb as when I booked she told me that the other 3 villa owners on the same estate as her one were all friends so Im hoping one of her friends will remind her that she has forgotten to repay me my money.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 12, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

It seems as if this villa owner is in financial difficulty so you may have to say goodbye to your deposit.

I wish all owners would go down the non refundable insurance route, it would be so much easier.

Good luck in getting the money back somehow.
Old 22 Apr 12, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
pchivvy
VIP Dibber

pchivvy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I wouldn't wait any longer. You have given her plenty of chances- issue a small claims court summons it is really easy to do online and should prompt a response.

2017- Eeyores Escape
2013 and 2014- Hampton Lakes
2012-8 nights AKL, 7 BWV
2011- Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
2004-2010- Various Villas, RPR
2002- All Star Movies, Clearwater
2001- Holiday Inn
2000- All Star Movies
pchivvy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 12, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I agree that you have given them plenty of time but to look as if you have complied with the spirit of the civil procedure rules send one formal letter by post rather than email and special delivery by way of seven day before action letter. This should state unequivocally that unless you receive your deposit by 4pm on the seventh day you intend to take the matter to the small claims court.

When you do go to he small claims court remember to include details of the email response asking for your address to return the deposit as this should blow ny defence out of the water. Good luck.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 12, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post

you firstly need to send her a recorded delivery letter stating the amount of days she has to refund you the money before starting small claims court proceedings. Unfortunately I know how it works although not from villa owners but from an ex partner.

Fingers crossed you get it back without having to go down that route.

Very VERY bad for of the villa owner. They should never spend the deposit money, keep it in a seperate account ready to give back to the renter
Old 22 Apr 12, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
This is absolutely unacceptable and exceedingly embarrassing for us Dibb Villa owners who treat their guests properly.

I don't care how much financial difficulty someone is in; a deposit is "someone else's money".

The previous advice about formal written notice is good. I would suggest that your letter state very clearly that you will be pursuing legal channels to recover your money. One thing to know is that the Small Claims Court actually doesn't exist anymore.

Your letter should mention "Moneyclaim Online" and you should quote this and the include the link moneyclaim.gov.uk/.

There is a very good information section about Moneyclaim here: moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mc...nt-information

In my experience demonstrating that you are serious should be sufficient to shame the owner into returning YOUR money.

Regards

Gary

Edited at 08:23 AM.
Tetrarch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 12, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Thousand Oaks
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 6
I agree with everyone here. Any correspondence from now on should be in letter form, recorded delivery so that they have so sign for it!

I agree with Debra and Gary that this is unacceptable and embarrassing. It's such a shame that there are a few 'bad apples' in the bunch. I can't get my head around how some people can just keep someone elses money and ignore them! I just couldn't do it! If they are in financial difficulty they have had plenty of time to try to find funds to pay deposits back to people (I suspect yours is not the only deposit they kept) They shouldn't have spent it in the first place.

Unfortunately not everyone in this world are honest people and it's such a shame that you had to experience this. I hope you get it sorted soon and that you receive your money.
Thousand Oaks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 12, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
dismum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 4
Guidebook Photos: 2
It is sad it has come to this -it does other owners who do take their responsibilities seriously a bad name.THe advice already given is good and doesn't need repeating.I hope the matter is settled quickly for you.
dismum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 12, 02:38 AM  
Link to this Post

Hopefully you will get to the bottom of this. I agree with others that you should definitely put a letter in writing letting this owner know that you will be taking legal action. Also, if you can find the villa on another site, I would post a bad review so others will know. You certainly have been patient enough. This is not typical of a Dibb owner...sorry you have had to experience this.

Sandy
Old 23 Apr 12, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post

Firstly I am sorry to hear of your situation it is really bad when an owner thinks they can do this. It is not their money and I speak from experience when I say it leaves a very sour taste.
Our issue is in France tho' not Florida.

Please report this owner to the Better Business Bureau in Florida. I do not have the address to hand but a google search will bring it up.

I really hope you get this resolved soon.

Rotonda Girl.
Closed Thread