Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Mar 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
There is a process called "Adjustment" where the student can choose any available courses with higher entry grades. Looks like it works in the same way as Clearing, although you still keep your place until you find another one.
Agreed. But I think it is slightly more complex if you are holding an unconditional as you have to speak to your uni and get them to allow you to go back in pot.

Not necessarily a given I don't think. Check the UCAS rules I think. And practicalities about being released into the wild without knowing for certain sure you have another place.

Am sure it is doable, but perhaps not as simple as normal adjustment.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Obviously everyone has to be happy with their choices and there are many none RG universities that have great reputations so I know RG is not the be all and end all.
But I feel some students take the ‘easy option’ of accepting an unconditional offer despite not being their top choice university - and obviously this might affect jobs further down the line - though I guess that depends on the career path being chosen.

If you do accept an unconditional offer then want to go though ‘adjustment’ then it’s not such an easy process. You’ve got to ask your university to release you which isn’t in their financial interest. Of course you can always take a gap year and reapply the following year.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Thanks all for your thoughts. School is really pushing RG for their stats but as has been mentioned, it is the student that goes not their current teachers. My DD is refusing to talk about it and I don’t want to push her either way. She has so much school work at the moment she says she hasn’t the time to think about it. It is so hard for them now.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
KC2014
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Busy couple of days this week. Glasgow Uni tomorrow and Strathclyde uni on Wednesday. I'm hoping he gets an offer from Strathclyde after this visit fingers crossed. Glasgow is one of his unconditionals but he would like a Strathclyde offer too.
KC2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Reality has kicked in this weekend!

Was talking to Emma yesterday while we were out in Cambridge and it was the first time she acknowledged she was almost certainly going to Lincoln in September.

If she doesn't get invited to the Assessment Centre for the Degree Apprenticeship, she will be going. I asked her if she had ruled the gap year out and she said she had as she had nothing constructive to do and would just try and get a job in Tesco or something if she did. She said she knows that she would get to the end of the year and realise she had wasted it.

Last night, while getting ready for bed and after a family meal out for my Mother-in-Law's 80th birthday and lots of chat about uni, I started to think about visiting her in Lincoln and the Christmas market and was quite excited - suddenly within seconds, I was in floods of tears!

Today she received her lovely FREE University of Lincoln Hoodie as she made it her firm choice. Another bit of clever marketing, but it is very nice.

We then went to the dentist today and my dentist was asking what she planned to do after A Levels and she told me to get her an appointment before she goes off to uni, so she is booked in for Tuesday 10th September! Eeeek!

She also told us about an HC2 Form which could entitle her to prescriptions, eye tests, and dental treatment. She said she is going to give her the forms when we go in September to complete. They are only valid for a year at a time, so you need to remember to reapply.

A friend of mine also mentioned it today and said that her daughter has a form, but it is not communicated very well, so not many people are aware.

Has anyone who already has children at uni, successfully completed a form?
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

you don't need the HC1 application until you reach age 19, but at that time, yes you need to apply on low income grounds for the HC2 yearly certificate, for help towards NHS costs.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
you don't need the HC1 application until you reach age 19, but at that time, yes you need to apply on low income grounds for the HC2 yearly certificate, for help towards NHS costs.
She turns 19 in November, so I guess she suggested doing it in September, so that she will be covered then.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
birchco
Imagineer

birchco's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hi, just wanted to sympathise with you. My daughter is in her first year at uni and I was the same as you. Her going, seemed so far away but when the auditions and interviews were taking place i could barely keep it together. She eventually decided on the University of Essex, and shes settled in well and is enjoying it (mostly)! lol
Its very hard, she was the baby of my 4 children and the first to go to uni, although 2 of the others have been to australia to live etc, they were older. she seemed so young to be going off. Shes changed since September, I do miss her terribly, but looking forward to Easter when she will come home. Good luck to your daughter

Reality has kicked in this weekend!

Was talking to Emma yesterday while we were out in Cambridge and it was the first time she acknowledged she was almost certainly going to Lincoln in September.

If she doesn't get invited to the Assessment Centre for the Degree Apprenticeship, she will be going. I asked her if she had ruled the gap year out and she said she had as she had nothing constructive to do and would just try and get a job in Tesco or something if she did. She said she knows that she would get to the end of the year and realise she had wasted it.

Last night, while getting ready for bed and after a family meal out for my Mother-in-Law's 80th birthday and lots of chat about uni, I started to think about visiting her in Lincoln and the Christmas market and was quite excited - suddenly within seconds, I was in floods of tears!

Today she received her lovely FREE University of Lincoln Hoodie as she made it her firm choice. Another bit of clever marketing, but it is very nice.

We then went to the dentist today and my dentist was asking what she planned to do after A Levels and she told me to get her an appointment before she goes off to uni, so she is booked in for Tuesday 10th September! Eeeek!

She also told us about an HC2 Form which could entitle her to prescriptions, eye tests, and dental treatment. She said she is going to give her the forms when we go in September to complete. They are only valid for a year at a time, so you need to remember to reapply.

A friend of mine also mentioned it today and said that her daughter has a form, but it is not communicated very well, so not many people are aware.

Has anyone who already has children at uni, successfully completed a form?
Old 26 Mar 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Originally Posted by birchco View Post
Hi, just wanted to sympathise with you. My daughter is in her first year at uni and I was the same as you. Her going, seemed so far away but when the auditions and interviews were taking place i could barely keep it together. She eventually decided on the University of Essex, and shes settled in well and is enjoying it (mostly)! lol
Its very hard, she was the baby of my 4 children and the first to go to uni, although 2 of the others have been to australia to live etc, they were older. she seemed so young to be going off. Shes changed since September, I do miss her terribly, but looking forward to Easter when she will come home. Good luck to your daughter
Thank you!

I am glad your daughter settled in well. Not long now until Easter - how long is she home for?

I tried to explain to my daughters yesterday how I was feeling as they just laughed at me! I said they won't understand until they have children themselves. I said it feels like someone who you have looked after for over 18 years and who has also needed you and relied on you, won't need that help anymore or be around all the time and that you won't know what to do with yourself. It is a very weird feeling as one minute you are excited and proud and the next devastated!

Little things trigger the emotions, like tonight she has been sorting a song out that she is going to be singing at a dance show in May. She has been dancing with them since she was 3 and has been part of our lives for over 15 years. It is going to be hard knowing it is her last show.

She will also be giving up her singing and piano lessons in July.

Everything seems to be happening at once!

I just hope she joins some groups at uni to carry on doing these things.
Old 26 Mar 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thank you!

I am glad your daughter settled in well. Not long now until Easter - how long is she home for?

I tried to explain to my daughters yesterday how I was feeling as they just laughed at me! I said they won't understand until they have children themselves. I said it feels like someone who you have looked after for over 18 years and who has also needed you and relied on you, won't need that help anymore or be around all the time and that you won't know what to do with yourself. It is a very weird feeling as one minute you are excited and proud and the next devastated!

Little things trigger the emotions, like tonight she has been sorting a song out that she is going to be singing at a dance show in May. She has been dancing with them since she was 3 and has been part of our lives for over 15 years. It is going to be hard knowing it is her last show.

She will also be giving up her singing and piano lessons in July.

Everything seems to be happening at once!

I just hope she joins some groups at uni to carry on doing these things.
I feel the same , I’ve done football for 14 years , after school running round , “ muuum where is ... ? “ . It’s really hard . I know I’ve still got my youngest but it’s going to be strange with just the one and I’ll really miss dinner tme chats with us all and the boys banter together as they are really close. I even feel guilty for going to Orlando without although he doesnt even want to go as he’ll be in uni .

To top it all My dr rang today and I’ve got to have more tests and an ultrasound for abnormal liver results that’s come out of the blue ☹️ . I’m Sat at home all day recovering from my op overthinking this and pretty worried about exactly what it is. She said she had no idea what’s going off hence the ultrasound .
Too many emotions today ☹️ Sorry x
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List