Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Mar 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

Mobile

I got married in December, we had a day guest cancel a few days before, a few evening guests cancel that week, 2 on the day, and then 3 that just didn’t turn up.
People are just extremely rude.
Enchanted is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

My DD worked as a chef for several hotels that did wedding catering... she told me that the venues always cater for 10% less than expected...ie if told 80 they would cater for 72... but still charge full price... which I think is awful but she said it cuts down on waste...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
My DD worked as a chef for several hotels that did wedding catering... she told me that the venues always cater for 10% less than expected...ie if told 80 they would cater for 72... but still charge full price... which I think is awful but she said it cuts down on waste...
Is that just for buffet catering though? We had a 3 course wedding breakfast and I know for sure they catered for everyone, as 3 people were missing from one table and their table mates ate the extra food and told us about it lol! We hadn't told the venue they weren't coming as we only found out the day before and figured we'd already paid for them anyway.

When my mum got married a second time she was told to under cater by 20% for a buffet so did... and the food ran out without a lot of people getting anything! I think it was caused by some people really piling their plates high like they'd never get to eat again. So now she will never let me under cater for anything lol.
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Yes just buffet catering...and if she undercatered by 20% and then the venue did...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater

Edited at 01:40 PM.
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
If I had ordered for 80 though, and 80 turned up, and people were hungry, then I would expect the hotel to put some more food out. I completely get them not putting food for 80 out initially, but if it ran out and people hadn't eaten I'd be having words.

I think in our case, our meal for the day guests is 4-6. Our cake is a cheese tower getting dished up in the evening, and we also have a pick n mix station from 6. So I bet we'll have buckets of food, but I'll report back on Monday
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post
It's really annoying isn't it? We got married in Orlando in December, and had a party at home in January for friends and family. It was all very low key, and I deliberately didn't want catering that charged per head for exactly this reason.

Lot's of people didn't RSVP, and then we had about 10 people who just didn't bother turning up, and a few others who cancelled on the day. I totally understand things happen, and the ones that cancelled on the day and let me know I have no problem with at all.

I do think it's very rude that some people just didn't even bother acknowledging the invite and replying to it (we did it all by facebook messenger, so could see that messages had been read), and was quite disappointed in people that didn't turn up and didn't bother to contact us (and actually haven't heard from since).

I wouldn't dream of not replying to an invite, but clearly these days it seems to be quite a common thing.

We still had a fantastic time, we also had a live band who were brilliant, and we just danced the night away! Enjoy your celebration, I'm sure it will be fab even if there are people who are a no-show.
I can vouch for the band being great!
Was a lovely night, no fuss, no drama, no catering issues - just a very nice evening!

To Mitch84 (the op) - I'm free on Saturday evening! Shall I dig my posh frock out?

Joa

Edited at 02:00 PM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
I got married in December, we had a day guest cancel a few days before, a few evening guests cancel that week, 2 on the day, and then 3 that just didn’t turn up.
People are just extremely rude.
Congratulations!

I do think its extremely rude. I will be most disgruntled if day guests cancel for spurious reasons, because we've caused quite some ruptions on his side by keeping it small. So fingers crossed. I completely get things happen though and most of my friends are kindly leaving their little ones with grandparents so I imagine that'll be the cause. Ill kids etc..
Old 19 Mar 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Was a lovely night, no fuss, no drama, no catering issues - just a very nice evening!

To Mitch84 (the op) - I'm free on Saturday evening! Shall I dig my posh frock out?

Joa
I'm not too close to you, all the way in Warrington, but if you like eating, it could be worth the drive
Old 19 Mar 19, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bats View Post

Joa
Aww, thanks Joa!

It was a very relaxed thing, just how we wanted. Nothing formal, as that isn't our style.

I ummed and aahhed over catering for ages, as had vegetarian, vegan and gluten free to cater for, and in the end went for a jacket potato stall which seemed to work perfectly, then we just bought loads of cupcake platters.

Need an excuse for another party so we can do it all again!
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Update! 3 more down this morning. 1 with a very genuine reason, the other because they forgot a birthday party..

Still no day guests (thankfully...) Keep everything crossed for me..