Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Aug 20, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey68
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Survey On A New Build

We are in the process of buying a new build. It is finished and ready to move into. We have had surveys on previous properties we have bought but we are unsure if we need one on a new build. My cautious nature thinks we should but I am confused at what level. For those of you that have purchased new builds did you have a survey (not the bank valuation survey) and if so what type of survey. Thank you 😊
Old 18 Aug 20, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I would say that if you are in any way nervous at all - get the survey.
In the cost of a house it is nothing. And a small price to pay for peace of mind.
It really depends on your nature. Some wouldn't bat an eyelid when doing this.

I would also add that many new builds seen to be built to a pretty poor standard so there might be value in having a survey.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I just had the valuation with my bank.

You get a 10 year guarantee on big stuff, foundations etc and create a snagging list in first few days of small stuff.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

I think i would pay the money and get a survey done. I'm no expert but don't forget there are different types of inspections/ surveys. Have a look at a surveyors web site in your area it may help you.
Old 18 Aug 20, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

I'm currently buying a new build. They do say its unneeded because your get a 10 year warranty on the build, but for peace of mind I'm debating whether we should also have a survey on top of the snagger.
Old 18 Aug 20, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Emmie2016 View Post
I'm currently buying a new build. They do say its unneeded because your get a 10 year warranty on the build, but for peace of mind I'm debating whether we should also have a survey on top of the snagger.
When you say "they" - is that the builder?

I know a couple of people have tried to claim on the 10 year Warrenty. Unsuccessfully. I think unless they have changed they are quite limited to very major issues?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
When you say "they" - is that the builder?

I know a couple of people have tried to claim on the 10 year Warrenty. Unsuccessfully. I think unless they have changed they are quite limited to very major issues?
Not the builder, just searching online. Yes it's mainly structural issues that arent caused by natural causes like flood and fire. That's why I'm wondering if I should spend the extra and get a survey done.
Old 18 Aug 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey68
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks for the comments so far. It’s the type of survey which is confusing. Which recommends a snagging survey but I am not sure if walking around with a builder would do the same.
Old 18 Aug 20, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

DH still says he wished we'd had a professional snagger when we bought.

Edited at 07:37 AM.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mousewife
Excited about Disney

Get a RICS Home Buyer level 2 done. Will check the place over. Even with new builds you’d be surprised at the little things that you’re blind to. Yes it will probably end up being like a snagging list but will certainly hold more weight with the builder and selling agent. Will also give you a second opinion on value and an insurance reinstatement cost.
Mousewife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List