Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Jul 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Combining New York with Orlando

The next time we go to Orlando ( which will be in a few years as we are waiting for Star Wars land to be finished&#128553 our two boys will be 11 and 14 which I think is probably a good age for them to enjoy New York. They've both previously mentioned how they'd like to go.

So my thinking is to tag it on to the beginning of the holiday before heading to Orlando.
For those that have done this did you
A) Fly direct to New York and return from New York with internal return flights to Orlando ... or
B)Do a multi city trip.. E.g Man-JFK-JFK-MCO-MAN ?

Which option works out cheapest?

I can't yet do a dummy booking for next year as we would have to go summer holidays and flights aren't showing (I'm so impatient!)

Also I was thinking 3 nights. Would you say this was too long/short or about right?

Thanks all for any help you can give.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
We flew with BA Heathrow to JFK, had 4 nights in NY then got the Amtrak train all the way down to Kissimmee, it was cheaper to fly but wanted the experience of the train, it took 23hrs 55mins and would do it again, it was so very different to flying. We then had 14 nights in a villa in Kissimmee and flew home to Gatwick. We booked Heathrow overnight hotel and car parking via Holiday Extras and their meet and greet allowed us to leave the car at Heathrow and they brought it to us at Gatwick when we arrived home.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

We did LHR to NYC, 2 nights - was enough just.
NYC to MCO with Jet Blue £100 pp
MIA to LHR

We didn't book any excursions for NYC, as that would have taken too much time - we visited most of the sighs, looked, took pics and moved on (i.e. Empire State Building - didn't go up, and SOL, we got free ferry - great round trip, rather than spend 3 hrs exploring).

We still had time to ice skate in Central Park and walk the Brooklyn Bridge and got to a shopping outlet. An extra day I guess would give you time to do sights more in depth rather than go and see them as we did and tick them off!

TBH we wanted more time in Orlando doing parks then sightseeing, but glad we did it. Kids would have been 12,14,16.

Edited at 11:20 AM.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
OrlandoLes
Excited about Disney

OrlandoLes's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Trying something similar next Easter - flying with TC MAN-JFK & staying 4 nights in NYC then flying down to Tampa with Delta & 2 nights at St Pete's Beach before finishing with 8 days at Windsor Hills & probably just doing Disney for a few days. We fly back direct MCO-MAN again with TC.
Everything booked except park tickets so I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the bookings but obviously not tried & tested yet
Cheers
Les
Windsor Hills Villa - May 2012; Rolling Hills Villa - Easter 2014; High Grove DIBB Villa / RPR / Disney Dream - Easter 2015; Sunset Lakes DIBB Villa /HRH/ Disney Dream - August 2016; NYC / St Pete's Beach / DIBB Townhouse at Windsor hills - Easter 2018; Flights / Sunset Lakes Villa / Harmony of the Seas Cruise - Easter 2020 Didn’t happen!
OrlandoLes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OrlandoLes View Post
Trying something similar next Easter - flying with TC MAN-JFK & staying 4 nights in NYC then flying down to Tampa with Delta & 2 nights at St Pete's Beach before finishing with 8 days at Windsor Hills & probably just doing Disney for a few days. We fly back direct MCO-MAN again with TC.
Everything booked except park tickets so I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the bookings but obviously not tried & tested yet
Cheers
Les
Our trip was Easter - it was bright and sunny, but also very cold at times (they had snow either week before or after, can't remember which now!). Hoodies a must, especially on boat trips.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chrisxal View Post
We flew with BA Heathrow to JFK, had 4 nights in NY then got the Amtrak train all the way down to Kissimmee, it was cheaper to fly but wanted the experience of the train, it took 23hrs 55mins and would do it again, it was so very different to flying. We then had 14 nights in a villa in Kissimmee and flew home to Gatwick. We booked Heathrow overnight hotel and car parking via Holiday Extras and their meet and greet allowed us to leave the car at Heathrow and they brought it to us at Gatwick when we arrived home.
We did the overnight train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi and the boys loved that. It was the highlight of their trip (apart from meeting Santa of course) so it's definitely something to consider. I bet you see some interesting scenery on the way too.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OrlandoLes View Post
Cheers
Les
Did you book your delta flights separately to your TC flights or is it all in the same booking?

Have a great trip! 4 nights seems like plenty of time to see all that you want to.👍
Old 8 Jul 17, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
We did LHR to NYC, 2 nights - was enough just.
NYC to MCO with Jet Blue £100 pp
MIA to LHR

We didn't book any excursions for NYC, as that would have taken too much time - we visited most of the sighs, looked, took pics and moved on (i.e. Empire State Building - didn't go up, and SOL, we got free ferry - great round trip, rather than spend 3 hrs exploring).

We still had time to ice skate in Central Park and walk the Brooklyn Bridge and got to a shopping outlet. An extra day I guess would give you time to do sights more in depth rather than go and see them as we did and tick them off!

TBH we wanted more time in Orlando doing parks then sightseeing, but glad we did it. Kids would have been 12,14,16.
I've done the ferry before as the queue to actually get on the island was ridiculous!

I know what you mean about wanting more time in the parks. We did three weeks last year and still there were things we didn't do!

Thanks for your help.
Old 8 Jul 17, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
OrlandoLes
Excited about Disney

OrlandoLes's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Did you book your delta flights separately to your TC flights or is it all in the same booking?

Have a great trip! 4 nights seems like plenty of time to see all that you want to.👍
The TC flights I booked on line MAN-JFK, MCO-MAN in January this year then waited for the 11 month mark to book Delta using Virgin air miles which meant we paid less than £400 to fly JFK-TPA (for 4 of us)

Hopefully 4 days is just right to do what we want to do cheers
Windsor Hills Villa - May 2012; Rolling Hills Villa - Easter 2014; High Grove DIBB Villa / RPR / Disney Dream - Easter 2015; Sunset Lakes DIBB Villa /HRH/ Disney Dream - August 2016; NYC / St Pete's Beach / DIBB Townhouse at Windsor hills - Easter 2018; Flights / Sunset Lakes Villa / Harmony of the Seas Cruise - Easter 2020 Didn’t happen!

Edited at 12:03 PM.
OrlandoLes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 17, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
G54321
Excited about Disney

NY and Orlando

Hi, doing NY and Orlando in 2 weeks time.
Booked flights last September in BA fly drive sale.
EDI to JFK, JFK to MCO, MCO to LGW them LGW to EDI.
Fly drive price was around £450 each which we were delighted about.
Staying 6 nights in NY, main issue with NY is hotel prices are so expensive and we need 2 rooms. Prices have come down recently but only for King bed rooms and I need a Double Double for my teenagers
Apart from my 16yr old the others have all been to NY previously so we decided to stay for a fairly decent time to be able to see most sights as we won't be back anytime soon, lots of other places on the list!
We are then doing a night at Staybridge Suites LBV, 6 nights lovely Dibb villa then 4 nights at Sandpearl in Clearwater. Can't wait. Will probably be last trip with teenagers so going to make the most of it.
Hope BA has another great sale in September this year!
G54321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List