Notices

Old 12 Feb 12, 02:46 AM  
Link to this Post

The Italian Job ~ Rome, Lake Garda & Venice

The Italian Job
Rome, Lake Garda and Venice ~

IntroOur mini cast

So,

there is me, self employed single Mum and taxi driver for my son Bradley who is now 11, chief and only planner LOL but someone who loves putting plans together to get the best out of the holiday for both of us. Love travelling, visiting new places, and making the most of these times I get to spend with my son

and

DS, now 11 ~ mad on all sports, plays football at academy level (so limits our travel times due to contract fixtures etc) also plays cricket and about to head into playing at district level only after a couple of months playing. General sport nut to be honest and naturally so, but also enjoys the places that we go. Has a very close relationship with his Xbox since we got Xbox live LOL

This is me and him on on NYC trip last year

We both have loved our trips to Disney, but have no desire to go back for a long while if at all, NYC was our hope, but things need to be done around the house LOL

We had hoped to return to NYC this year having had such a wonderful time there last year (had wanted to go for longer and just to NYC) but budget isn't allowing as there are many things that I need to get done around the house, but still wanted/needed to have a holiday.

After much thinking and uhmmmming and ahhh'ing, finally thought about going to Italy. Somewhere I have never been and neither has DS for that matter. Inspiration came from my brother who at 24 did an interrail trip around part of Europe last year and wondered whether this was an option for us.

As such, and looking into it, decided to do a visit taking in a couple of places, we wanted to go to Rome, and also to Venice, however also wanted a place where we could have some time out, to relax, swimming pools or beach etc and this led us to Lake Garda.

nd here are the initial plans for our trip.

We are flying out of Bristol to Rome with Easyjet on wednesday 30th May 2012

we are spending 5 nights in Rome staying at the Carlo Alberto B & B on Via Carlo Alberto in the Termini region of Rome. Did think a great deal about this and of wanting to be closer in, but as we are then travelling by train up to Lake Garda didn't want to be on the other side of the city, and as I am trying to do this on a budget if I can, didn't want to spend lots on the hotel.

After this we are taking the train from Rome to Peschiera del Garda on the Monday 4th june getting a fast train which takes 3 hours and 45 mins then we will take the taxi to The Bella Italia campsite which is in Peschiera but right on the lake.

We have booked an apartment via suncamps which is only costing £340 for the week! Although we are only staying 6 nights here and not the 7 we have paid for as we wanted to spend an extra night in Venice.

So on sunday 10th June we are going to head by train to Venice and we are staying in Casa Sant'Andrea which is an old Monastery in the Santa Croce area of Venice. Close to the train station for coming in and also near to the coach station for the coach to the airport on the wednesday.

Wed 13th June we fly home from Treviso, Venice's 2nd airport with Ryan Air to Bristol (No-one else flew back there without paying several hundred pound each!

So this is what Ive organised so far

home from home dog boarder for 15 days £375
Meet and Greet parking with 14 days at Bristol £54.00

Flight with Easyjet to Rome for 2 inc bags £148 for the 2 of us.

Carlo Alberto house on Via Carlo Alberton B&B in Rome booked via Venere.com 445 euros

Apartment at Bella Italia £354 inc booking fee (need 100 euro deposit) booked via suncamp

Casa Sant'andrea B&B in Venice 315 euro

Flight with Ryanair to Bristol from Veniso, inc baggage, reserved seats and seat selection £130.12 total for 2

Done
ordered new Euro Fairfx card ~ topped with 60 euro
booked time off work
paid £119 towards Bella Italia (£234.91 to pay 6 weeks before pay before 16th April to make sure)
ordered a couple of guide books, including Rome with kids from amazon.

To book

~ Train tickets via Trenitalia.com for Rome > peshciera del garda (price will be approx 100 euro
~ need to get dogs booster injections before going to boarder!
~ Train from Peschiera del garda to Venice

To do
~ Check in with Ryan air on day before leaving
~ Pay balance of campsite by 16th April £234.91
~ get spare Euro fairfx card
~ Top up Euros
~ EHIC cards find or re-order
~ Work out travel expenses for Roma Pass, from Rome to Lake Garda, inc taxi's and buses around and then to Venice.
~ Allow 100 euros for gondola ride
~ docs for Bella Italia should arrive 3 weeks before travel, chase if not received by 10th May
~ decide whether to leave kittens at home (although they will be 10 months by then) with older cats or whether to put them in cattery.

Save spending money allowing 100 euros per day
plus 100 euro for Gondola ride in Venice and spending money for DS
aim 1800 euros (£1600)

Fairfx card 1 ~ 60 euro

Edited at 02:53 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 12, 02:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Links for various places of interest and info

Train ~ trenitalia.com
Booking for hotels ~ venere.com
booking.com
airbnb.com

Rome

Our b & b carloalbertohouse

Roma Pass romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=34
Colosseum tickets online ticketclic.it/Gb/HTML/musei/colosseo.cfm

Vatican Tickets online
biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/...sita=26&step=2

The bioparco bioparco.it/english_site/the_bioparco.html
Cat sanctuary romancats/
Free rome tour from Spanish Steps newromefreetour

links with info about Rome
Great Rome blog @ Ron in Rome roninrome
Rome facts and info rome.info/facts/

Lake Garda

Cable car funiviedelbaldo.it/immagi...sine_r1_c1.jpg

Lake Garda beaches
lake-garda-revealed/l...a-beaches.html

Water Park/Movieland canevaworld.it/img_pagine...6_0_parchi.jpg

Venice

bus service to Treviso atvo.it/index.php?lang=en...id=36&view_pc=!

our B&B
Old 12 Feb 12, 02:54 AM  
Link to this Post
scooterdevil
Imagineer

Hi we did Rome and Venice last year.Rome we did in February half turn for 4 days and Venice was where our cruise left form so we spent 3 days there before cruise.I will speak to my DH as he was the chief organiser and see if he can give you a few tips.I know we had the Roma pass which was very good.
Old 12 Feb 12, 03:01 AM  
Link to this Post

Ah that would be much appreciated thank you
Old 12 Feb 12, 03:08 AM  
Link to this Post
scooterdevil
Imagineer

We took our 9 year old and we went here bit spooky but very good.He loved it.

en.wikipedia/wiki/Capuchin_Crypt

youtube/watch?v=xlK0frpbh5s
Old 12 Feb 12, 03:14 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by scooterdevil View Post
We took our 9 year old and we went here bit spooky but very good.He loved it.

en.wikipedia/wiki/Capuchin_Crypt

youtube/watch?v=xlK0frpbh5s
bones as light fixtures sounds a bit but will check it out . . .

Thank you
Old 12 Feb 12, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
SammyScotland
Imagineer

Sounds a great trip Karen.
Old 12 Feb 12, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post

Part of me is a bit "let down" feeling that we aren't going to NYC, especially as this year will be my 40th, but I don't want to do NYC on a tight budget or have to watch what Im spending, especially as when we go back I want to do a couple of shows, and various things we didn't do now and go for 10-14 nights . . .

Save for next year instead hopefully LOL
Old 12 Feb 12, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
SammyScotland
Imagineer

This will be our last trip to New York for a while. DS will be starting University in September and as we are not sure if he'll want to come on holiday with us next year - may get a better offer - we let him choose where we should go this year between Las Vegas, Orlando or New York. New York won - he loves it there. I agree with you that it is not a holiday to do if you are on a budget.
Old 12 Feb 12, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
anniee
Imagineer

Sounds fabulous. I have never been to Italy and did look at Bella Italia last year.