Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Nov 07, 01:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Totally_Angelic View Post
Sorry to single this comment out but I just felt compelled to write a few words in defence of Disneyland Paris cast members. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I am not knocking that, but as far as I am concerned the fact that English is not the first language should not be a criticism, given the fantastic effort that all cast members I have ever dealt with have made in communicating with me in English...their "second" language, which knocks spots off any attempts I make to speak French. Their linguistic ability is admirable, as some speak French, English, German and Spanish with very little effort, and how many British people can do that. Why do the arrogant British assume and expect that every other nation should communicate in English! The majority of DLP is bilingual and I feel that it works very well, it also helps kids and adults alike to appreciate another language. We had no problems with understanding anyone in DLP, and felt that the English spoken by the French cast members was easier to understand and often more grammatically correct than a lot of English colloquialisms, slang and regional accents.

Now I've said my piece I'll quickly jump off my soap box and hide in a corner!

glad you jumped of it before i took your place .
my point is not that we expect them to speak english as a first language
the point was that english is DISNEYS FIRST LANGUAGE and that is what i want , its what i feel comfortable with .i feel comfortable with chip and dale not tic and tac
i repeat it is my opinion , but it is my money that dlp want and they need to work harder to get it
steve
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 07, 01:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We love DLP and think its a great short destination holiday. We try to go every year in between our WDW trips.
Its not WDW and it doesn't try to be, we love it for what it is. The Disneyland Park is beautiful if you take the time to admire the detail. There are rides that we prefer in Paris too like POTC and BTMR.

I like the fact that some of the rides are in French, i am in France after all. I'm sure the French don't visit Alton Towers and expect the rides to be in French!
The cast members have always been great with us, they are definately more reserved than in WDW but thats not a bad thing. My kids have always been treated very well by the cast members and even at age 6 and 5 they love to speak a little French to the CMs and they totally appreciate that.

I have never thought that the parks were dirty either. Its amazing the different experiences people can have at the same place!

Cost wise again, i don't think its fair to compare DLP to WDW. It is costing us £440 for a family of 4 in Feb half term for 5 days 4 nights with park tickets and breakfast. Our Eurotunnel is being paid for with Tesco vouchers so on top its just spending money. It would cost me more just on park tickets for WDW and US.

I am a major fan of WDW and Orlando in general and it is my most favourite place to be but i do think DLP gets a lot of unfair comments as people are always trying to compare the two.

We love both places and have a great time at both.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 07, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
wedinflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

wedinflorida's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Although we has a fair few problems with our visit earlier this year, i actually found the French Staff polite & helpful etc. My main problem with the Spanish tourists. They pushed past you in queues and then completly ignored you when trying to question them. The pushed there children to the front of characters and also did the same at the parades/shows. I also found the same type of behaviour from the hispanic in America. They are so family orientated that to them all that matters is that their child should be able to see the parades etc even if it means being rude and pushing in. I know its a good thing having extended families who stick together and something we should all do more, but also not to forget that there are other people in this world who may have been there first.
wedinflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 07, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post

The DLRP bashing is very strange as it does not fit the DLRP i know.

I love DLRP and WDW, DLRP is magical to me. There is so many great things about DLRP, the themeing is amazing and feels more authentic than WDW. We have found the CM to be very polite, though more reserved than WDW, they have never been rude, always been helpful when asked.

WDW is not free from rude people, we have seen people smoke where they shouldn't and people push in front during the parades, and my DD got pushed into a turnstile at Magic Kingdom by a grown women shoving.

I would not say park is better or worse as they are both great in there different ways,

Edited at 04:04 PM.
Old 20 Nov 07, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post

I have to say I didnt like DLP the first time we went. But looking back that was my fault - I had done no research whatsoever. We didnt have a clue when we got there. But following 2 three week holidays in WDW and three years Dibb research we went back to DLP this year and loved it.

We have done Disney so thoroughly in the US that although we will go again in a couple of years for us living very close to Portsmouth makes DLP very reasonable in cost and very close by.

So whilst exploring other parts of the world (going to the Maldives in under three weeks) DLP is great for a quick fix.

I realise I do have one advantage - being a french speaker I can give as good as I get in French. However during our visit in Oct half term we experienced nothing but politeness and good service from all in the parks and hotels.
Old 20 Nov 07, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post

For what DLP costs i would rather put that money towards Florida it is just so expensive to get there, we went one year when the children were small but that was a 3night get 4th free children free and so on but now my god 2 children aged 15 and 11 for us to go Eurostar comes to over a Grand for 3 nights i can go to Florida for another 1500 quid for a fortnight an not be barged about by undisciplined Europeans and there snotty kids. This is our quote for March from a company who claims they wont be beat on prices: £775 for two nights are they having a laugh thats only b and b, need to buy lunch and dinner and spending money on top of that, i dont think we will ever be going back to DLP let the Europeans keep it to themselves while we Brits stick with Florida.
Old 20 Nov 07, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post

You see I think a grand for 3 nights is ok but then I usually spend £10k on a three week holiday to WDW.
Old 20 Nov 07, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I'd like to point out first that I have never been to DLP but some of the comments on here drive me mad!

Why on earth would anyone in their right mind go to France and expect the rides to be in English, the first language of all the CM's to be English etc etc.

I wonder how many of the people moaning bothered to greet them in their language.

I go to France twice yearly, i've been to Paris but my Mum actually lives out in France.

I have always found people to be lovely and very appreciative when I speak to them in French.

I wonder how many of the staff at Alton Towers speak French?
Old 20 Nov 07, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post

well I probably go against the grain here... BUT I LOVE DLP...wait for it... more than WDW just returned from WDW and didnt enjoy it as much as DLP in March this year... yes there are rude people in France...but I came across just as many in WDW with queue jumping etc...
As for the price we paid 1/4 what we paid to go to WDW for a week with Breakfast and tickets included
Florida is a great long holiday and has great weather (most of the time) but for Disney I would choose DLP first.
Just my opinion.
Elaine
Old 20 Nov 07, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by lainey5565 View Post
well I probably go against the grain here... BUT I LOVE DLP...wait for it... more than WDW just returned from WDW and didnt enjoy it as much as DLP in March this year... yes there are rude people in France...but I came across just as many in WDW with queue jumping etc...
As for the price we paid 1/4 what we paid to go to WDW for a week with Breakfast and tickets included
Florida is a great long holiday and has great weather (most of the time) but for Disney I would choose DLP first.
Just my opinion.
Elaine
only thing i can say elaine is that i dont know anyone who goes to wdw for only a week
steve
Closed Thread