Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 May 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Show me your staircase - update with pics

I desperately need some inspiration! We have an enclosed staircase (can’t think of any other way to describe it) - full walls on either side with one being the lounge wall and the other a previous external wall (we now have an extension so it’s become an internal wall...

Anyway, it needs decorated. The joiner is replacing all skirtings or whatever they are called up the stairs, the bannister and the spindles. I want a more modern look than the pine that is there at the moment.

The house is 1950s so walls are a bit bumpy but I’ve had a plasterer round to quote for skimming the walls as I’m thinking a smooth finish could be painted rather than papered.

New carpet will go down too.

I’m thinking pale grey but, despite google images and a search on Houzz I can’t find any ideas.

Any of you lovely dibbers willing to post a pic?

Edited at 08:16 PM.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Do away with the spindles just have bannisters if you can because it’s enclosed then live with it for a month or two before you decide on carpet colour etc if it’s dark look at a sun pipe to bring in light
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Thanks Gryff. We can’t do away with the spindles - they are at the top of the stairs on the landing to ensure someone doesn’t fall down. Not sure I’m explaining it very well .

Ooh, the sun pipe is something I hadn’t thought of so I’ll investigate installation costs etc. As it would brighten up the stairway.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Look at glass instead of spindles I’m sure a Dibber did her stair recently with glass and it looked amazing and lighted and opened the space so much
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
The Dibber who did the glass staircase job is Saratoska.

She gave my ideas and a supplier to her joiner who did the job for her and saved big money.
Glass is available online in all sizes, colours, polished edges, angles needed, with fittings and a fraction of the price of a normal glass supplier.
Plus it's toughened and full up on the safety specs needed.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Thanks Mr T
Old 4 May 19, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Thanks Mr TM. It’s the balustrade at the top I want to replace and it’s only around a metre and a half in length. The glass looks lovely so definitely an option.
Old 4 May 19, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Your staircase sounds similar to ours, except ours is steep and narrow due to it being a Victorian house. We had a light tube put in years ago and it made a huge difference, even on a dull day we don’t have to turn the landing light on.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 19, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

We only have a small hand rail as such, we changed to Oak and Glass about 2 years ago. Looks so much better, the base post is capped as he couldn't remove the base post due to structure integrity of the stairs. You wouldn't know though, my parents did theirs after seeing mine although they have much more as there stair case wraps around into a U shape upstairs too.

I am going to remove the carpet and sand the stairs when I get enough energy to do so, as I know it will be a hard going job.
Old 4 May 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Ours is traditional as it’s an Edwardian house but we’ve gone grey.