Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 1 Jan 18, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
LoveHolidays
Apprentice Imagineer

Can’t get into holiday planning this year :(

We’re a family of Florida fanatics and have been fortunate enough to go most years since 1996.

I love everything about Florida hols, including the planning.

This year we’ve decided to go somewhere different (probably in Europe). The problem is, I just can’t get enthusiastic about it. I’ve looked on various TA sites for potential destinations but nothing’s grabbing me, especially when a 7 day holiday in a “just ok” hotel is costing around £2,000.

I realise I’m sounding a bit like a spoiled brat and many people would be happy to have this problem but it’s putting me off looking at holidays.
Not many people would understand my problem but I’m sure I can rely on Dibbers to get me.

So, any suggestions for me, DH and DS (13)? DH and I have quite high standards when it comes to accommodation and DS is only really concerned about WiFi

Busy planning Florida holiday number 17
LoveHolidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

It'll cost you a lot but blue lagoon village in Kos is stunning. I've heard good things about some of the sensatori resorts too. We like eurocamp playa montroig which is near port aventura and Barcelona. Top notch site. And eurocamp aspect accommodation is lovely.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Why not consider the far east?

Some outstanding hotels - far far better than anything Disney can offer at really good prices - Not that I'm saying that Disney hotels are rubbish but you get 5* for under 1/2 Disney prices.

Maybe consider a 2 or 3 centre holiday?

We've done
Kuala Lumpur, Borneo and Hong Kong - £3000 for 2 - all 5* hotels with lounge access - drinks and nibbles etc - 15 nights

or Thailand
Bangkok, Chiang Mia and the beach - again £3000 in 5* hotels for 16 nights

I love Disney - DH not bothered - but we also love going to other places too.

Or what about a cruise - lots of things to do - or not - depending on where you go and what you want to do.

Katie x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Thoroughly recommend Greek Islands especially Corfu. Most of the time we have stayed in a nice self catering apartment, but there are some nice B and B hotels etc.
Old 2 Jan 18, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post

Some outstanding hotels - far far better than anything Disney can offer at really good prices - Not that I'm saying that Disney hotels are rubbish but you get 5* for under 1/2 Disney prices.

We've done
Kuala Lumpur, Borneo and Hong Kong - £3000 for 2 - all 5* hotels with lounge access - drinks and nibbles etc - 15 nights

or Thailand

Or what about a cruise - lots of things to do - or not - depending on where you go and what you want to do.

Katie x
Totally agree with this - after a couple of big holidays the last few years, we thought we'd do a cheaper - maybe Greek island one this year. But as I looked I couldn't find any hotels I fancied for a reasonable price.
In the end we've booked Kuala Lumpur, penang and Singapore. If we'd just wanted a like for like beach holiday 2 weeks in Penang could've been comparable price to Greece but we've ended up doing KL and Singapore so costing a bit more now. We got a swim up room for a week in Penang Hard Rock hotel b&b for £1000 for 4 of us which I think is pretty cheap!

Did Thailand years ago and the quality of the hotels for the price is way better than what you'd get in school holidays in Europe.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
CheshireCaty
Apprentice Imagineer

I can recommend a cruise - maybe a Med cruise so you can take in different cities in Europe? We’ve also enjoyed non-Disney trips to Tenerife (where they do have water and animal theme parks).
Having said that, nothing compares to Florida for me and like you, that will always be the holiday I’m most excited about 😉
WDW - 92, 93, 95, 97, 00 x2, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09 x2, 10, 11 x2, 12, 13, 14, 15 x2, 17 x2, 18, 19 x 2, 22--- DLP - 95, 01, 03, 06, 11, 14, 18, 19—- Disney Cruise - 2012 - Bahamas, 13 - Med, 15 - 15n EBTA, 16 - Alaska, 19 - Northern Europe.
"You may have noticed I'm not all there myself" -
CheshireCaty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I asked a similar question on here a few days ago asking for new ideas for my family, which consists of me, DH and 17 yo DD. I had lots of exciting and interesting replies which I am checking out for 2019. Here's a link to the thread:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1059313
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
LoveHolidays
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I asked a similar question on here a few days ago asking for new ideas for my family, which consists of me, DH and 17 yo DD. I had lots of exciting and interesting replies which I am checking out for 2019. Here's a link to the thread:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1059313
Thanks for that, lots of great suggestions.

I'm thinking of trying Dubai. It will be unbelievably hot when we would go, July, but I'm still tempted.

Just trying to get my head around the different areas of Dubai now.

Busy planning Florida holiday number 17
LoveHolidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by LoveHolidays View Post
Thanks for that, lots of great suggestions.

I'm thinking of trying Dubai. It will be unbelievably hot when we would go, July, but I'm still tempted.

Just trying to get my head around the different areas of Dubai now.
My DH has mentioned Dubai but I don't know much about it. Now you have given me another place to check 😀.

We have decided that Barcelona is on our to go list and France (Paris then South of France) in the next couple of years. Plus possibly Mexico and Austria. Boston looks good in the US and possibly a Scandinavian cruise but DH would need to try a mini cruise somewhere first. So many places to explore.

I love Florida planning and really enjoy the parks but I am looking forward to trying new places too. Hope you find somewhere for your family ☺
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DDD
Apprentice Imagineer

DDD's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post

We've done

or Thailand

Katie x

I’m in a similar position to OP so am really interested in this reply. Do you do this independently or with a TA?
DDD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List