Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Aug 18, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Emmaf where did you get the 15% ? Disney has been "putting" 18%-20% figures on their bills for about 10 years
Whether you pay that or not it's entirely up to you but I believe that every time you pay "15%" you will be asked if there was a problem as in theory this indicates that by "under" paying "3%" you aren't completely satisfied.

SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Going next month and the tipping debate is always interesting, and I still don’t know what to do, threads are saying we pay too much, giving a choice of amounts to tip is confusing. I’m wondering, however, why is the tip amount based on how much you spend? If you order a $15 burger or a $30 steak, the server still does the same amount of work, will still only bring out and take away 1 plate, or is the service better the more you spend? Wouldn’t it be a lot easier if you are charged say $10 per person for a tip for every meal regardless of what you eat? Just a thought
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Originally Posted by greeny1968 View Post
Going next month and the tipping debate is always interesting, and I still don’t know what to do, threads are saying we pay too much, giving a choice of amounts to tip is confusing. I’m wondering, however, why is the tip amount based on how much you spend? If you order a $15 burger or a $30 steak, the server still does the same amount of work, will still only bring out and take away 1 plate, or is the service better the more you spend? Wouldn’t it be a lot easier if you are charged say $10 per person for a tip for every meal regardless of what you eat? Just a thought
The answer to this question is that the tables in the burger type restaurant will have a higher turnover than the tables at the higher end steak type restaurant.

The servers are doing the same amount of work but in one, they earn lots of smaller tips whilst in the other, they earn fewer larger tips, so at then end of each shift, they both earn roughly the same.

In your example, paying a set amount per meal would mean staff in the burger restaurant earning much more than those in the steak restaurant which definitely wouldn't be fair.

Debra
Old 3 Aug 18, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post
The answer to this question is that the tables in the burger type restaurant will have a higher turnover than the tables at the higher end steak type restaurant.

The servers are doing the same amount of work but in one, they earn lots of smaller tips whilst in the other, they earn fewer larger tips, so at then end of each shift, they both earn roughly the same.

In your example, paying a set amount per meal would mean staff in the burger restaurant earning much more than those in the steak restaurant which definitely wouldn't be fair.

Debra
... The Royal table & Be Our Guest are the most sought after restaurants in Disney and extremely hard to get reservations for!...The burger type places are the easiest!...
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post

Restaurants sell different meals at different prices, for example mama Melrose, cheapest meal $19, most expensive $33, same server same restaurant, same service, more tip for more expensive meal.
Old 3 Aug 18, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Apparently it's not a tip it's a service charge
2016 Boardwalk Villas
2015 Pop Century
2014 Old Key West
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post

Debra
Having a quick look at some more random restaurants, there aren’t many if any exclusive burger and steak restaurants, but restaurants that sell both at vastly different costs, so a server in the restaurant selling a table full of burgers will get less tip than someone selling a table full of steaks.

So, does someone working at bog or crt deserve more tips for doing the same job as someone working in a burger restaurant.
Old 3 Aug 18, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
emmafleur
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Emmaf where did you get the 15% ? Disney has been "putting" 18%-20% figures on their bills for about 10 years
Whether you pay that or not it's entirely up to you but I believe that every time you pay "15%" you will be asked if there was a problem as in theory this indicates that by "under" paying "3%" you aren't completely satisfied.

SD
Do you really think I’ll be asked what was wrong with the service? I hope not because that might be thought of as rude, like the waiting staff are pushing for bigger tips. They might get less than 15% if they start hassling me. Personally, I think 15% is more than enough for satisfactory service and is what I’m happy paying. If service was great I would up my tip. I’m not wanting to spend my holiday haggling with the waiting staff but neither do I really want to spend more than I think the service is worth. We nearly always go with the more expensive meals on the menus and, with five adults in our party, will probably all have at least one alcoholic drink so I’m sure 15% of our bills will be quite a big tip. Let’s hope you’re not right about the comments
emmafleur is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Grace_1412
Excited about Disney

When in Rome and all that so I go with the flow but the arguments for this dont stack up.

We were in Rainforrest Cafe on our last trip and the server was looking after about 10 tables. Our tip was about $25 on the receipt. Than means that if they on have one serving and go home they will pick up $250. Five nights work $1,250. even if this needs to be shared and they only get half of the money it means that 2 servings will get them $1,250 tips on top of their salary. Given how busy the place is and the number of servings in a 7 hour shift, i start to feel less sorry for these poor underpaid servers.

But as I say, when in Rome and it is part of the cost of the holiday, if you dont like it then it is your own decision.

this will go on for pages and pages btw
Grace_1412 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Grace_1412 View Post
When in Rome and all that so I go with the flow but the arguments for this dont stack up.

We were in Rainforrest Cafe on our last trip and the server was looking after about 10 tables. Our tip was about $25 on the receipt. Than means that if they on have one serving and go home they will pick up $250. Five nights work $1,250. even if this needs to be shared and they only get half of the money it means that 2 servings will get them $1,250 tips on top of their salary. Given how busy the place is and the number of servings in a 7 hour shift, i start to feel less sorry for these poor underpaid servers.

But as I say, when in Rome and it is part of the cost of the holiday, if you dont like it then it is your own decision.

this will go on for pages and pages btw
Not all of the tip/service charge goes to the server though. I was told by one they give a percentage to kitchen staff and bussers
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread