Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Apr 17, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
Section 264(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act states :

that certificate is the stamp the Immigration officer applies to your passport.

It's not some people or some Dept's , it's the Department of Homeland Security
uscis.gov/ilink/docView/...-0-0-8289.html
But tourists aren't aliens! Aliens are people who have formal applied for immigration, so people who actually live here. You've even cited the Immigration Act. Tourists aren't immigrants.

Edited at 06:18 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
Section 264(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act states :

that certificate is the stamp the Immigration officer applies to your passport.

It's not some people or some Dept's , it's the Department of Homeland Security
uscis.gov/ilink/docView/...-0-0-8289.html
An old statute that is never enforced and hasn't been updated. One can tell that by the paltry fine mentioned.

Plus the old visa waiver form is mentioned in there still so it has never been updated..
I have been visiting America well over 100 times since 1976 and never have and never will carry my Passport unless it is specifically enshrined in law that as a visitor I must have that document with me.
Plus very much like our Special Branch used to have an aliens dept that applies to asylum seekers and temporary residents not visitors

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 06:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by barnsleyfan View Post
Cheers. just checked online and its £20 and they take the photo from your passport so not a massive task. So to clarify, if i get a photo driving licence, does this remove the need for me to carry my actual passport around with me (and instead i can carry a photo on my phone or laminate copy)?
Just check when you apply if you use your passport it doesn't expire when the passport does ( I'm sure it does because the photo needs to be updated if you cannot be recognised ) . We've carried our passports no problems . Just like carrying around a credit card or a £600 phone , you look after it . I would also check turnaround times if you go in 42 days
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Correct but if you only have an old style driving licence you do not have a photo card and you need your passport.
Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
You didn't really read the point of the thread did you...
Both of you failed to see the message that I was replying to (It was even quoted in my message!)

Cheers. just checked online and its £20 and they take the photo from your passport so not a massive task. So to clarify, if i get a photo driving licence, does this remove the need for me to carry my actual passport around with me (and instead i can carry a photo on my phone or laminate copy)?
lovewdw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
barnsleyfan
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Just check when you apply if you use your passport it doesn't expire when the passport does ( I'm sure it does because the photo needs to be updated if you cannot be recognised ) . We've carried our passports no problems . Just like carrying around a credit card or a £600 phone , you look after it . I would also check turnaround times if you go in 42 days
On reflection i think it is probably worth £20 to be able to carry a credit card size licence around (and copies of passport for wife and son) rather than the bulk of 3 passports. turnaround quoted as 3 weeks.

thanks everyone
barnsleyfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
On reflection i think it is probably worth £20 to be able to carry a credit card size licence around (and copies of passport for wife and son) rather than the bulk of 3 passports. turnaround quoted as 3 weeks.

thanks everyone
One advantage of being 70 is that you have to renew your D/L but it's free

Mick
Old 27 Apr 17, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofy1874
Earning My Ears

Am i correct in saying the paper counterpart (of the photo license) is no longer a legal document so isn't needed? Ive never been asked for it the past but always had it just incase. Is it just the photo license needed now? (i think in some countries we need to have some additional form in replace of paper part but again don't think its needed for US from previous trip).
Goofy1874 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 17, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goofy1874 View Post
Am i correct in saying the paper counterpart (of the photo license) is no longer a legal document so isn't needed? Ive never been asked for it the past but always had it just incase. Is it just the photo license needed now? (i think in some countries we need to have some additional form in replace of paper part but again don't think its needed for US from previous trip).
You are correct no paper part of photo DL as it is obsolete ( bin it if you still have it) and no DVLA code required
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 17, 06:19 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I thought you had to carry some sort of official,photo ID at all times in Florida, or have I been dreaming it?
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I believe only when you're driving but it has to be an official government document such as passport or D/L.

Hopefully ILHO is around to confirm.

Mick
Hey up Gadgey's Rule's can be county specific, here in Lee, irrespective of UK dl type, a Deputy pal advised Lee County Sheriff's Office train officers to request a tourists pp as additional ID. If planning to drive in Lee County, might be prudent to carry pp's.
Old 28 Apr 17, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hiya BF, from memory of the DVLA using my pp photo when I renewed my photocard dl, I believe the pp photo should have been taken within the last 5 years. Luckily mine was one day old as I'd used the 4 hour turnaround service.