Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 7 May 19, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Oh no- more 'cabins' seem to be coming

I give ample warning- MOAN ALERT.

I am very disappointed to see this, yet more cabins seem to be featuring, given the availability issues they seem to create. They are however very profitable. Hopefully the cabins v studio balance will be much better than at Copper Creek.

blogmickey/2019/05/massiv...FlG9tY8Z8GUSw8
Old 7 May 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Add me to the moans. Not loving these at all but as you say, very profitable... so should we be surprised?!
Old 7 May 19, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida-Sarah
Apprentice Imagineer

Florida-Sarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Please excuse my ignorance, but cabins / bungalows rarely seem to be fully booked. Why are they so profitable? Is it because of the number of points Disney can sell for a handful of units?

WDW: 1992, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 x2, 2017, 2018, 2019 x 2

DCL: Disney Dream 2017, Disney Fantasy 2019
Florida-Sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Florida-Sarah View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but cabins / bungalows rarely seem to be fully booked. Why are they so profitable? Is it because of the number of points Disney can sell for a handful of units?
2 reasons. The points on them are massive. So each one nets DVD a huge sum of money.

Then when they don't rent to members, the points go into breakage. This means DVC can rent those points cash. They have to return a percentage of this to the Club, but they meet the maximum anyway, so it goes to their profit.

Bad news for owners. As you've observed, the cabins/ bungalows are often not booked at all or until v late. This is because the people who buy points don't intend to stay in these generally, they mostly want studios first, then 2 beds, then 1 beds. But of course hundreds of thousands of points sold to the average punter are attributed to these cabins. This means many more people chasing the points allocated to the normal rooms. And significant non availibility problems, especially at Copper Creek.

But it got even worse. In the now abandoned points re-allocation attempt, Poly owners saw points then being taken from the bungalows and placed onto the normal rooms, allegedly to 'balance' demand.

But the points were still so large on the bungalows, many speculated it would make zero difference to them not being booked.

But what it would have meant is the average punter now being short of points at Poly, now having to take shorter stays or buy more points.

I doubt the cash rental prices of the bungalows would have changed

Who would have benefitted?

And we wonder why Poly owners were unhappy! I expected the same to be done at Copper Creek once it sold out. Hopefully that now won't happen- I hope for the Copper Creek owners, if it doesn't they can thank the moaners who stood up.
Old 7 May 19, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Dewdropdazzle
Excited about Disney

Dewdropdazzle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I’d read something earlier today about the bungalows possibly being on the cash inventory rather than DVC. Not sure if that was just wishful thinking though. It certainly seems like it’s going to be huge a resort
I Drive 1997,Villa 1998 & 2006, Wilderness Lodge 2008,Fort Wilderness 2009,Old Key West 2010,Fort Wilderness 2011,Wilderness Lodge 2012, DLP 2013,Villa 2014 & 2015, POFQ /Fort Wilderness 2016,Villa 2017, DVC Copper Creek 2018, Saratoga Springs Feb 2019, Villa Aug 2019
Dewdropdazzle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Why are people moaning? If you don't plan on owning there it will have no effect on people.. People moaning for the sake of moaning..

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
They are stunning but my annual allotment of points will get me 10 nights in a copper creek studio and not quite 1 1/2 nights in a cabin.

I can sometimes stretch to a 1 bed and I can see the day we manage a 2 bed. But it would cost me 3 years worth of points for 4 nights. That’s never going to happen..

Edited at 10:07 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 19, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
YT. Good find, won't ever effect us as we will never buy more Points.
The cabins create problems for owners but some choose to ignore that issue.
I think the ones at WL look stunning. The ones at the Poly look awful and have a terrible location.

Let's just hope they follow the WL theming

A very strange thought process to build more. cannot get my head around it.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Why are people moaning? If you don't plan on owning there it will have no effect on people.. People moaning for the sake of moaning..
Because if they are in the DVC inventory it means that the normal rooms may be much harder to get. So it has a big effect Hal, not just on owners but non owners.

A lot of DVC owners simply don’t seem to understand the intricacies.
Old 8 May 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Because if they are in the DVC inventory it means that the normal rooms may be much harder to get. So it has a big effect Hal, not just on owners but non owners.

A lot of DVC owners simply don’t seem to understand the intricacies.
Yes may be but if you are not going to own there or even stay there it won't effect the owners at other resorts and if you do buy there then as it will be in effect from the on set it still won't make any difference either ad you won't know any difference...

At the end of the day this will have NO effect on current members and their ability to book rooms at the current resorts.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List