Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Sep 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
MENTALMUM
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ashchall95 View Post
would the airport advise us on this ?
Airport are unable to help as they do not know about individual airlines, Each airline has a set time for menu changes and they may change 3 monthly or 6 monthly so individual airlines should be able to let you know what food is served for the flight you hope to book if its in that time frame, if not you will need to wait until closer to your travel day to check.
MENTALMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Jo 77
Excited about Disney

Mobile

When we flew with virgin in August, they made an announcement on both flights about a passenger with a severe nut allergy. Hopefully anyone who had nuts on them then took the advice seriously.
Jo 77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
Note, the airline cant prevent any pax bringing nuts on board and consuming them.
And on my outbound flight there was an announcement but the idiots across the aisle from me decided it didn't apply to them and ate peanut M&Ms. When we got off the plane they had obviously spilt them as they were in the aisles!
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Virgin serve cheese and spring onion pretzels and no nuts. Wish they could change the pretzels to something else as I do not like them.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 01:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JAF View Post
Virgin serve cheese and spring onion pretzels and no nuts. Wish they could change the pretzels to something else as I do not like them.
Hi Jill, we really like KP Snacks, Penn State pretzels that VA dish out, keep meaning to buy some but always forget, you've jogged my memory

As it can be life threatening to some we wouldn't eat nuts on an aircraft. I find it unfortunate even after a polite announcement some pax still consume nuts, although in the instance of airline food pax may not be aware.
Old 30 Sep 19, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Jankz33
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by ashchall95 View Post
Thanks so the nuts are still served with those passengers on board ? I know this may seem dramatic however the thought of anaphylaxis mid Atlantic is quite scary and my doctor has advised my allergy is airborne
Both BA and Virgin serve nuts despite the announcement. They only do not serve ‘peanuts’. So if you are also tree nut airborne that would be really difficult. My sister is peanut and tree nut allergic but luckily not airborne. Despite calling special assistance and telling the crew on board in 2018 virgin served macadamia nut bars for breakfast, cashew nuts on the vegetarian curry. BA this year served a nut pesto on the vegetarian pasta despite making an announcement and removing nut products from other passengers. We find the whole experience extremely stressful.

For whatever reason airlines think nut allergy means peanut allergy only. They also state this on the website. They have yet to discover the separate world of tree nuts. So when they state they do not serve ‘nuts’ this is peanuts only.

EDIT: my sister does not eat the on board meals. This was the food given to me and my mum sitting next to her.

Edited at 08:08 AM.
Jankz33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Jankz33
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by MENTALMUM View Post
What are you allergic to as this can make a huge difference, if it is peanuts then you are relatively safe with any airline as they have a reasonable understanding of peanut allergy, none of them will guarantee that the food is completely safe and actively encourage you to take your own food. If it is tree nut allergy you need to be more careful especially if you travel with an american company, they freely offer nuts as they are a cheap snack so you are at risk straight away from any debris left over from previous flights even if they do not serve any as snacks.
You also need to scrutinise the menu as they can serve nuts as part of the vegetarian menu.
We have had a horrendous experience with Virgin although it was 5 years ago where my son was offboarded as they were serving walnut penne pasta and he is anaphylactic allergic to walnuts. I had had numerous discussions with them prior to flying and they assured me no nuts would be served but hey were part of the meal. We were advised on that flight that if my son's allergies were airbourne that he wouldn't be able to fly as they couldn't guarantee his safety
We have flown with Thomas Cook since then as they were brilliant, sadly they are no more. We are now in a similar position to you as I need to re book for next year and not happy with any of the choices.
We have exactly the same problem every year. My sister is anaphylactic to peanuts and tree nuts but luckily not airborne. She always takes a boots meal deal on board but as me and my mum are vegetarian we are always served nuts sitting next to her. Many times we have gone hungry so now also take our own food on board with us. No matter how many times we ring special assistance they just cannot grasp the existence of tree nuts. This is with both virgin and BA.
Jankz33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Malificent
Imagineer

Mobile

We have had announcements in the past regarding Pax with a peanut allergy, but it doesn’t happen often. We are very selective with our flight snacks, to avoid anyone being ill. We have no allergies but I would hate to be responsible for making someone ill.
Old 30 Sep 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Virgin do pretzels and TUI posh popcorn.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
I think virgin give pretzels rather than nuts. I've read on here that they do announcements. Maybe give the airport of choice a call?
Virgin used to give it dry roasted peanuts but changed to pretzels years ago.
They also make announcements about nut alergies sometimes
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List