Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Aug 10, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Nomy
Apprentice Imagineer

Nomy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mark2spark View Post
... Please note there remains a total embargo of the carriage of cigarette lighters to/from the USA. Additionally lighters and matches should not be packed in hold luggage under any circumstances...

So it's as clear as mud.
Sneaking one on seems to be the best option
Exactly, that's the point I made in post #12. A phone call to Thompson had the guy struggling for the truth. He thought there was a total ban, but came back and said you could take one lighter to the US, but that was news to him.

Can anyone clarify that it's OK to bring a lighter back from the US by the same method?
Sept 2010 - Chatham Park DIBB Villa
Oct 2016 - Sunset View, High Grove Dibb Villa

Edited at 04:02 PM.
Nomy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 10, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post

The last time i was stopped with a lighter was in 2006

Since then, i always have a lighter AND a packet of safety matches in my hand luggage (not in a plastic bag, and not on my person). Ive never been stopped going either way.

Anyway, if you do have to dispose of them, theres always another smoker at the airport who knows your plight only too well and will be more than willing to give you a light
If you are stopping onsite at Disney, the bars have packets of safety matches that they will give you for free, and the resort shops stock lighters (they are kept in a drawer under the counter with the cigarettes)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 10, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks everyone - the things we do for our kids eh!
Old 10 Aug 10, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Claire44 View Post
Hi Sarah - fancy seeing you here I have always taken a lighter with me and had no problems, don't forget you can smoke now in terminal 2, gate 300 Looks like we will be away at the same time so will keep an eye out for you. Where are you staying?
Hello, how are you?

we're staying at Rodeway again - do like it there, where are you staying?

The boys will be over the moon to know they can smoke before flying (I was dreading that couple of hours - Adam can't last for more than a few minutes!)

dare I say - we are not doing Disney - it's more of an extreme trip to MacArther Glen! Liam has his ever extending shopping list!

Be lovely to see you there. Speak later x
Old 10 Aug 10, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Claire44
Imagineer

Ha ha Sarah, we are staying there too. We go on Thursday 26th, do you go the day before?

Edited to say I have just checked your countdown and you must go on the Tuesday. Will see you there then. Just me, John and Steven going - thought we would take him for one last blast of all the themeparks.

Edited at 07:02 PM.
Claire44 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 10, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We fly from Manchester everytime to everywhere! and your never allowed lighters, matches even tweezers, past our security, it all gets binned, but i do see their point
louiseybobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 10, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Claire44
Imagineer

Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post
We fly from Manchester everytime to everywhere! and your never allowed lighters, matches even tweezers, past our security, it all gets binned, but i do see their point
I didn't have any trouble with lighters when we were at Manchester in April.
Old 10 Aug 10, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Claire44 View Post
Ha ha Sarah, we are staying there too. We go on Thursday 26th, do you go the day before?

Edited to say I have just checked your countdown and you must go on the Tuesday. Will see you there then. Just me, John and Steven going - thought we would take him for one last blast of all the themeparks.
see you there x
Old 10 Aug 10, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Can I just repeat that our friends took a lighter with them in a clear plastic bag both out there and home,this was in June and they were allowed to take it.
Old 10 Aug 10, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by janny View Post
Anyway, if you do have to dispose of them, theres always another smoker at the airport who knows your plight only too well and will be more than willing to give you a light
not always a good thing though

When they had a short ban on lighters when flying to the US, loads of charity/religious/other people waiting outside international arrivals at LAX offering people lights as they got off their plane knowing they were gasping and didn't have a lighter. As soon as you got a light from them you were caught to hear whatever flavour of charity, religion or cult they were soliciting for.

I used to try and find the cleaner who always seemed to be outside smoking - they were always safe to get a light from
Closed Thread