Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Feb 18, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Airlines accused of splitting up groups

If this has already been posted, Admin please delete.

BBC Breakfast, on now, is going to talk shortly about a new report that is out where airlines are making £40m a year by charging passengers to sit together. They are accused of purposely splitting groups up so as to force them to pay for their seats to stay together!
suesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
It's on the BBC News website as well.

bbc/news/uk-42931091

A review is being launched into airlines' seating policies, the Civil Aviation Authority says.

It will examine whether companies are deliberately splitting up groups of passengers so they pay to sit together. Airlines allocate seating via computer algorithms.

The CAA said it wanted to make sure the practices were "fair and transparent".

A spokeswoman for Ryanair said: "Our policy is very clear for our customers."

CAA research of more than 4,000 passengers who had travelled as part of a group on 10 airlines in the last year found that just over half of respondents were told they would have to pay more to sit together before they booked.

However, almost half believed that their airline would automatically allocate them seats together.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks for link Tom

suesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

This is such a non story. For a start the research states “Of the group of respondents that paid extra to sit together, six in 10 said they did so because of the risk that their airline might split up their group.”

This implies they chose to prebook seats which is now common practice, the headline hints that they’ve got to the airport and the airline has said you’ll have to pay to sit together which patently isn’t true. If you get to check in early then there’s a very good chance you’ll get seats together

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

There was some research into this last year and it showed that some airlines appear to split families up without needing to, even if they had booked early. Not just families but groups of adults that booked together were split
Old 4 Feb 18, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Many years ago me when me and the wife were frequent virgin flyers, we were seated separately for a flight to Orlando which considering we booked the flights 11 months beforehand and were one of the first to book in, it was a joke that they insisted they didn't have 2 seats together.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Many years ago me when me and the wife were frequent virgin flyers, we were seated separately for a flight to Orlando which considering we booked the flights 11 months beforehand and were one of the first to book in, it was a joke that they insisted they didn't have 2 seats together.
But it’s totally irrelevant when you bought the tickets, seats aren’t allocated until check in.

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Squeezelou
Apprentice Imagineer

Funny that... I checked in online yesterday for a pretty empty flight to Prague and we are sat across the aisle from each other... I refused to pay the extra £8 each to move. I immediately thought it was done on a purpose!
Squeezelou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
The report appears to be about Ryanair.

I don't know why all airlines don't jump lump the cost in with the price of the flight and let people choose seats when booking
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 18, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I follow Thomson on FB and they appear to split groups up on purpose. I pay for seating whatever airline I'm using (I'm even paying as a solo BA traveller as I didn't want to get stuck in a middle seat), however, I think the fairest option is to be able to pay to select in advance and other passengers that have decided not to pay are given the CHOICE of what is left 24/48 hours in advance. I know with Thomson you cannot change your allocated seats which is where the issue lies.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List