Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 3 Mar 21, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsnicola
Very Serious Dibber

East Coast USA/Canada Trip

Hi we are due to fly in and out of New York in august for a cruise, staying a few nights in New York and Washington whilst there. I’m trying to plan a plan b but not sure where to start. I’m thinking if the cruise is cancelled and the flight goes ahead of maybe then doing a different trip. I have a two week window, But there is so much I would like to see! Anyone been to this part of the world and what are must sees. I realise I can’t see everything but I need to decide what’s the best areas to tackle and what to leave for another time. I would like to see Boston area/Maine/Portland all of that area. But I would love to see Toronto/Thousand Lakes/Niagara Falls/Finger lakes. We would hire a car after New York or Boston. So if you had 2 weeks what would you do/see. Thanks 😁
mrsnicola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

All of it

Toronto and Niagara falls are lovely , I would stay one night in a hotel overlooking the falls the town ( Niagara )is very touristy and a bit tacky but fun, Embassy suites are nice

Google Niagara on the lake its very quaint but only needs a couple of hours on the drive either to or from Toronto if you are used to Florida prices you may find Toronto expensive but it definitely worth a trip, I have been a few times and four days suits us.

Boston is nice but be prepared accomodation is steep, but go for the history.
Salem is ok to say you have been but we only stayed two hours witchy stuff wasnt really our thing but I love Quincy market and the history of the Freedom trail

Washington is a nice surprise for most people loads to do and very historic with amazing museums

I haven't been to New York for a while but its New York !

Portland and Maine is stunning, there are a couple of threads I've posted pics of Maine on

Another city which is well worth a visit is Ottawa its very pretty easy to get around and Parc Omega a few hours drive out of the City is awesome
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Boston is great and the Freedom Trail, one of the best things that I have ever done in the USA. You will see it in the trip report in my signature.

Washington DC is great, we never left the Mall/ Whitehouse area.

New York is what it is. I don’t like big Cities.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:10 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Boston is great and the Freedom Trail, one of the best things that I have ever done in the USA. You will see it in the trip report in my signature.

Washington DC is great, we never left the Mall/ Whitehouse area.

New York is what it is. I don’t like big Cities.
Just about to message you! Did you book both your boat trips with Boston Harbour Cruises? Could see that you did the Whale Watching but wasn’t sure about the sunset one
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

You could get Amtrak from New York to Boston - we did that and it was brilliant. We went business class for just a few $ more and it was very cheap compared to our horrendous prices! Get a Red Cap porter to help you with luggage and get you into your seats before anyone else boards too Sit on the right of the train for the views of the ocean.

We did a New England road trip in 2019 and loved every minute of it - trip report in signature below! We did all the coast up to Bar Harbour at Acadia NP and then across to Vermont before going down to coast and Cape Cod. Excellent trip. I'd love to do it again one day.

We did Toronto and Niagara some years ago. Toronto was nice but we thought Niagara was really tacky - bit like Vegas with a waterfall. Definitely worth it for the Falls though - the Maid of the Mist was a real laugh.

Niagara on the Lake is worth going to and we did the jet boat - got absolutely soaked despite the clothing they give you. Take a change of clothes!

Feel free to ask questions and happy planning!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsnicola
Very Serious Dibber

Great thanks lots of ideas.. they all look amazing. Will have a look at the trippies! anyone else? Xx
mrsnicola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We have done Quebec extensively, Eastern Ontario plus a NE trip from Boston and NYC. There are a fair few reports in my signature to get some ideas!

I love Canada and can’t wait to get back.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Just about to message you! Did you book both your boat trips with Boston Harbour Cruises? Could see that you did the Whale Watching but wasn’t sure about the sunset one
The evening cruise was with the ‘Sunset Cruise’ and was with Massachusetts Bay Lines from 60 Rowes Wharf 02110 It was £69.42 for the four of us.
Other than the mysterious late start, I would recommend it.

The Boston Whale watch was with Boston Harbour Cruises and sailed from Long Wharf. It was £177.28 for the four of us. It again is recommended with great commentary and historical facts throughout. As can be seen on a map, it is a long haul out of Boston Harbour!

Any other questions and you only need ask.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The evening cruise was with the ‘Sunset Cruise’ and was with Massachusetts Bay Lines from 60 Rowes Wharf 02110 It was £69.42 for the four of us.
Other than the mysterious late start, I would recommend it.

The Boston Whale watch was with Boston Harbour Cruises and sailed from Long Wharf. It was £177.28 for the four of us. It again is recommended with great commentary and historical facts throughout. As can be seen on a map, it is a long haul out of Boston Harbour!

Any other questions and you only need ask.
Thank you! I’m going to do both
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Thank you! I’m going to do both
Good for you!