Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Aug 17, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by TillySmith View Post
Hi Mick

We always leave the 417 to come out onto Osceola Parkway, that is an unmanned toll and looks identical to your picture of the Celebration one if that helps. They do all seem to look the same so it must be a bit confusing if your are not sure which direction you are meant to be going, especially when it is dark.
Totally agree Pam. If it's dark, you're tired and a relative newcomer to the area then it must be confusing when you hit 192 and you're not sure whether you want east or west.

The Osceola is our east-west route of choice. Rather pay the toll at The Loop than face all the lights on the 192. We haven't been to the same community as you so often but we have stayed around Highgate for the last maybe 20 trips.

So strangely enough I think it must be a bit of a tradition on our first night we always come off in Celebration and along the 192. Doesn't seem like we've arrived until we pass the Wizard, Mermaid and Giraffe.

Mick
Old 23 Aug 17, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
TillySmith
Excited about Disney

It's similar for us too, we like to pass Gaylord Palms (we loved to see each visit as it was being built) and then passing under the Disneyworld sign and then AKL exit for Sherberth Road. Then we are truly in our 'happy place'.

Pam
TillySmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 17, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by TillySmith View Post
It's similar for us too, we like to pass Gaylord Palms (we loved to see each visit as it was being built) and then passing under the Disneyworld sign and then AKL exit for Sherberth Road. Then we are truly in our 'happy place'.
Pam

And like us you'll have seen the changes in Sherberth Road traffic over the last 10 years

Turning left into it at the lights near Golden Corral the cars are often queueing in lane 3 of the 192 because there's not enough room in the left turn filter lane.

One day in March coming back south the traffic was stationary from the point where the two lanes merge right down to the lights on 192. :angry: We sometimes take a right at the bottom into Black Lake Road so that we by-pass the Formosa lights. Handy to get into Bonefish Grill as well

Mick
Old 30 Aug 17, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ducati211
Trainee Dibber

after several emails to Avis with no reply my OH ended up phoning Avis who were very rude in their manner and said not there problem, charge nothing to do with them they don't need to provide evidence and we need to contact the highway tolls ourselves.
ducati211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 17, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ducati211 View Post
after several emails to Avis with no reply my OH ended up phoning Avis who were very rude in their manner and said not there problem, charge nothing to do with them they don't need to provide evidence and we need to contact the highway tolls ourselves.
Does it clarify whether it's ePass or Sunpass? Do you remember the tag number of the hire car?

Dollar told us it had nothing to do with them either, but we contacted Sunpass and there was no ticket issued against our tag plate. Our own Sunpass account showed we had paid at the booth they said we had gone through without paying.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 17, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scenicafc View Post
I'm waiting for a toll charge, Although we've been before OH was not the main driver so he hadn't driven from MCO to villa, specifically asked in the VRoom at Gatwick about how to ensure we were in the correct line for paying our tolls as I knew we had to go through a couple to get to the villa. Virgin Rep assured me that as long as I stayed in the right hand lane it would be a pay toll and I would be able to pay my $s. Flight was 2 hours late leaving Gatwick, then circled for an hour outside Orlando due to a storm and then unfortunately, there was a passenger with a medical emergency so we had to wait another 40 mins before were allowed off the plane. Nearly 4hrs later than the scheduled 17.15 landing. Hence it was dark when we got into the care. missed the turning to the 192 and found ourselves on another toll road. Approaching a toll we moved into the right hand lane as advised, about 100yds from the booth there were cones so couldn't move over, we noticed it was Sun Pass / EPass, we had no althernative but to go through it as when we slowed the driver behind kept hooting at us, (flaming Taxi). The camera flashed, - major argument between me and OH, as it was obviously my fault as I had said keep right. Feel somewhat put out that we had been advised to do this by the virgin rep in Gatwick, back 10 days and no fine yet, but having read this obviously there is still time. Do I have any comeback with Virgin?
I don't see that you can blame Virgin because you missed the turn and went through an unmanned toll. You've got to take some responsibility for driving the car.
Old 12 Sep 17, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Tracy34
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tracy34 View Post
We got caught out in Tampa... 589 Veterans Expressway...
The cameras flash you as you come off.

We didn't realise it was a toll road...Google maps sent us that way..
So ...it appears that not only did we get charged for that toll...which we knew about...
but for every 'cash paid' ones we went through as well.
We just received another bill on this month's credit card statement.
What a total rip off...:angry:
Lindfields 2005, Hillcrest 2008, Sunset Ridge 2009, Windwood Bay 2011, Terrace Ridge 2013, Dallas Texas 2013, Bridgewater Crossing 2014, Terrace Ridge and Siesta Key June 2015, Siesta Key Nov 2015, Terrace Ridge June 2016, Sarasota Oct 2016, Sarasota and Siesta Key July 2017, Sarasota Oct 2017, Siesta Key June 2018, Siesta Key...Key West..Orlando Nov 2018, Siesta Key..Key West...Sarasota June 2019, Sarasota Oct 2019, Sarasota March 2020,
Tracy34 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
iang27
Getting Excited

I got charged 4 months later from Avis last year !
iang27 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List