Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jun 22, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Rayer72
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Education fine if at Sixth Form / College ?

Hi, just a quick question. Schools fine £60 per adult per child if out for over 10 periods in a row ( 5 days ) in the UK.

What if one child is over 16 and at 6th Form College ? Is it the same fine/rules ?
Rayer72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I don't believe they fine you but they can kick you off the course

My DS starts in September and no holidays can be taken term time and if attendance drops they remove him from the course.

Check the college website.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Andysaurus
Apprentice Imagineer

As above, my college would remove you from the course/college and you'd have to start over the next year. They didn't have time for time wasters or people who weren't taking it seriously. Unless it was a serious illness with a doctors note, you were out. I got seriously ill two months in to my first year at sixth form and missed two weeks, I was allowed to stay but I fell so far behind I didn't know what was going on in my classes so dropped out and came back the next year and started over.

I personally believe it is wrong to take kids out of school for a holiday, education is far more important, but that's whole other can of worms.

Edited at 06:46 PM.
Andysaurus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Andysaurus View Post
As above, my college would remove you from the course/college and you'd have to start over the next year. They didn't have time for time wasters or people who weren't taking it seriously. Unless it was a serious illness with a doctors note, you were out. I got seriously ill two months in to my first year at sixth form and missed two weeks, I was allowed to stay but I fell so far behind I didn't know what was going on in my classes so dropped out and came back the next year and started over.

I personally believe it is wrong to take kids out of school for a holiday, education is far more important, but that's whole other can of worms.
Its also wrong that holiday companys bump prices up within school hols. I believe family holidays are important as long as obv not crucial time like GCSEs
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Andysaurus
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Donz1979 View Post
Its also wrong that holiday companys bump prices up within school hols. I believe family holidays are important as long as obv not crucial time like GCSEs
Agreed, but that's just the nature of the classic supply and demand business model unfortunately.
Andysaurus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

I think this is now down to individual colleges and sixth form, as technically you are not in mandatory education, tour child has opted to go through additional education so no fine can be given but as others have said there are other punishments for non attendance.
lilo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
JP81
Imagineer

JP81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Andysaurus View Post
Agreed, but that's just the nature of the classic supply and demand business model unfortunately.
Supply & Demand, Encouraged by Government allowing schools to "Fine" people for taking their kids on Holiday, at times they can afford.
Absurdity.
May 2023 Rosen Int'l
JP81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JP81 View Post
Supply & Demand, Encouraged by Government allowing schools to "Fine" people for taking their kids on Holiday, at times they can afford.
Absurdity.
Most of the time cheaper still to take the fine!
More lining of govs pockets!
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
JP81
Imagineer

JP81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Tell them where to shove their fines.
Family Memories are much more Important than an Education that is Indoctrination at It's finest.
No one talks about Grandad's Degree, but they remember the Memories He helped create.
May 2023 Rosen Int'l
JP81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 22, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ScottUTAH
Excited about Disney

No fine, just risk of losing place. Took mine out for a month in January and she didn't lose her place, finished top in her class and before everyone else.
ScottUTAH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List