Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 3 Nov 18, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
elm
Trading Disney Pins

Originally Posted by jim jehosofat View Post
My kids did this in September and will be doing it again in May. I'll be doing it next October. Unfortunately the service from Cambridge is only hourly until next May and doesn't operate at weekends. The othr this is that the Gatwick train leaves Cambridge about 5 minutes before the Norwich train arrives so you end up with almost an hour to wait.

Oh and be warned, the seats are known as ironing boards, so expect a numb bum by the time you get to Gatwick. Other than that I think its much better than the drive, hate the M25 and the Dartford crossing, and I'd rather be on the train and tired than drive tired on the way back.
OMG, I have just realised who you are! Give Widge a squidge from me x

Originally Posted by disney20042012 View Post
Thanks, is Cambridge a decent station with a good cafe nearby to pass the hour wait ? Bearing in mine it will be Nov/Dec when we travel so a bit chilly if there isn't anywhere indoors. I liked the Peterborough station with the Waitrose cafe across the road.
It's not bad at all. There's a couple of AMT coffee huts and indoor seating areas. One of them is attached to a coffee place from memory. Just outside the station there is a small Sainsbury's, a Pret and a Wasabi.
elm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DDD
Apprentice Imagineer

DDD's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hiya DDD - Tesco are aiming to change the railcard to £10 sometime in the future:

We’re planning on changing this Reward Partner to 3 x the value of your Clubcard vouchers by 30 November 2018. If for any reason there is a delay in launching the new 3 x product, this Reward Partner will be temporarily removed.

Unfortunately since May, when Network Rail made timetable/route changes, advance fares have been very inconsistent. Advance fares were going on the system around 12 weeks, or less, pre-travel. Over the past few years our Nov, Durham to Heald Green, train was circa £16.50pp to £18.50pp, this year we paid £25.60pp. Our Man Airport to Durham return gradually increased over the years to circa £25. As we don't return until May I've been monitoring current 12 week advance fares, depending on train times it's anywhere between £20.50 to £67. The % increase is quite significant and rumour has it NR will stabilise fares but another rumour is NR intend to stop advance fares in an attempt to make fares overall accessible whether buying at 12 weeks or 12 minutes pre-train!
Thank you.
I saw that on the Tesco cubcard site but wasn’t sure what it meant! So should I wait as it’ll be cheaper ie if I buy it now it’s £15 but wait and it’ll be £10?
DDD
DDD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DDD
Apprentice Imagineer

DDD's Reviews
Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Kettering to Gatwick so same line its eady change at St Pancras just one lift journey.
Trains to Gatwick some have multi stops some have just a few.
From Kettering to Gatwick 2 hrs 10 mins mid afternoon Friday.
If you wish you get off at Bedford and get to Gatwick from there as change over is easy there.( same train as is Bedford to Brighton train.)Journey time will be 25 minutes or so longer.
Enjoy.
Mmm that might be worth thinking about. So Leicester to Bedford and then direct to Gatwick?
Will look at that option. Thank you x
DDD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DDD
Apprentice Imagineer

DDD's Reviews
Thank you for everyone’s replies. Definitely helped my d3cision to go by train going. In fact I’m now wondering about whether to come back by the train too. Got a bit of time to decide...250 days and counting!
DDD
Old 3 Nov 18, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DDD View Post
Thank you.
I saw that on the Tesco cubcard site but wasn’t sure what it meant! So should I wait as it’ll be cheaper ie if I buy it now it’s £15 but wait and it’ll be £10? DDD
Hi DDD - I'd personally wait, but (always a flippin' but), if Tesco haven't finalised 3X by Nov end they'll remove the rail card offer until they do, that may work to your advantage as you've got a few month afore purchasing tickets circa 12 weeks pre-travel.
Old 3 Nov 18, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Weddingnyc View Post
We chose Stevenage for a few reasons,only the one change with 20 minutes wait, small station, and we had a bad experience on the tube with our daughter in a pushchair years ago, so wanted to avoid it.

Thank you for the help, we are blanking out the return from our minds for now 🙈😕 so haven’t planned a route/train, but will keep your advice in mind
You're welcome, at least you're now aware you can avoid the Tube upon return if need be
Old 6 Nov 18, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I live in the Hitchin area. Hitchin is on the Cambridge line, the next station to Stevenage. When I went in September I caught a direct train from Hitchin to Gatwick and the same the other way around going home. I didn't notice the hardness of the seats, they were fine.
I live in Stevenage so this is a really handy new option. Can I ask if it is any hassle getting to the shuttle and then up into the airport - we always have large suitcases so just want to check how easy this is :-) It has to be better than the stress of the M25 and never knowing how long it is going to take...
Lindsk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

We found the shuttle from south to north very easy, it took a few minutes in total, and we had two large suitcases, 2 mini suitcases, 2 kids and a preschooler. Large lifts too, for getting up to check in. We would definitely do the journey again, if the prices worked out.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
nick.66
Getting Excited

Same as Duncanb Change at Bedford you can then do the whole journey to Gatwick. You'll choice of seats as it's the 1st Station for the trains going all the way to Gatwick. Another big plus is you won't have to battle St Pancras on a Friday afternoon with all your luggage it can be a nightmare.
nick.66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 18, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Raggyavn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lindsk View Post
I live in Stevenage so this is a really handy new option. Can I ask if it is any hassle getting to the shuttle and then up into the airport - we always have large suitcases so just want to check how easy this is :-) It has to be better than the stress of the M25 and never knowing how long it is going to take...
Really easy, we did it on the way back with 6 cases between 4 of us.
Raggyavn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List