Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Aug 17, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Its very common practice in the US. Sometimes you can be given an upgrade without asking...we were at Mirage...sometimes you can just ask nicely and they will give you one. The $20 is just seen as a tip for the check in clerk for helping you that day. You have more luck on weekdays and not weekends, and depending even on time of day, and how busy hotel is at the time. Your attitude makes a difference and dont think the "Gimme your best room works", more "Was wondering if you had any complimentary upgrades available today". Apparently money does talk though and people have more success with the $20.

I have not tried it just explaining what it is

Edited at 10:55 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishsmurfy
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
I checked on another forum I use and no one appears to have had much luck at either Encore, Wynn or Venetian... sorry. That of course does not mean it wont work just on that forum no luck. They seem to be the only hotels that the $20 does not have much success at.
I've tried the $20 "trick" 3 times when I've been in Vegas. Each time was at the Palazzo rather than the Venetian though.

Each time I've handed them my passport - with the $20 inside it and just asked nicely if they happen to have any nice rooms available this visit? Touch wood each time they have upgraded us from the "basic" Bella suite we've booked to a Bella suite with strip view twice - and once they upgraded us to a much plusher Sienna suite - each time on high floors with fab views. This year we were there as part a of large poker group from the UK - all prepaid on corporate rate so we didn't think it would work - but it did!

A smile and a pleasant request gets you a lot more than an attitude in Vegas
2011 Old Key West
2012 Orange Lake Resort, Portofino Bay Hotel, Disney Beach Club
Irishsmurfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Irishsmurfy View Post
I've tried the $20 "trick" 3 times when I've been in Vegas. Each time was at the Palazzo rather than the Venetian though.

Each time I've handed them my passport - with the $20 inside it and just asked nicely if they happen to have any nice rooms available this visit? Touch wood each time they have upgraded us from the "basic" Bella suite we've booked to a Bella suite with strip view twice - and once they upgraded us to a much plusher Sienna suite - each time on high floors with fab views. This year we were there as part a of large poker group from the UK - all prepaid on corporate rate so we didn't think it would work - but it did!

A smile and a pleasant request gets you a lot more than an attitude in Vegas
Good to hear it worked for you. I would be happy with a basic room at Venetian/Palazzo so to get an upgrade... wow.

Agree about the attitude as well. My DD was at Vdara and MB. Both times she chatted with the lady asked about her day. said what a lovely hotel etc, then slid the $20 over with her ID and CC. She got a beautiful corner suite at Vdara...which was complimentary anyway but just a basic room, then at MB was upgraded to a suite at Delano. So well worth it for her.

So very jealous of your stay at Palazzo and can I join your poker group please

Edited at 11:16 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I must admit I've always wanted to try the $20 trick each time I have been to Vegas but always bottled out at the last moment. Just thought I would look a fool if they said no

If it wasn't the Encore I might have tried it this year but I suspect it might not work at Wynn and Encore
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

I only tried it once at the Paris- had a few drinks in me so felt more confident. I was given a trip view top floor corner room- it was massive and well worth the $20.

I didn't even have to mention an upgrade, the check in lady knew exactly what it was for!
Old 17 Aug 17, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by metalguru View Post
I must admit I've always wanted to try the $20 trick each time I have been to Vegas but always bottled out at the last moment. Just thought I would look a fool if they said no

If it wasn't the Encore I might have tried it this year but I suspect it might not work at Wynn and Encore
On the post I put on another forum a couple more people have replied. This is one of the replies:

ive done it a few times at the wynn or encore and end up getting a panoramic room from my booked standard room. get a nice view on some of the top floors. i doubt you end up getting a suite

There were a few others like that saying a suite was unlikely with the $20 but a better room yes. What were you hoping for?
Old 17 Aug 17, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Jane3865
Proud to wear my Ears

We stayed at the Encore this year. We didn't try the $20 trick, instead we were just nice and polite to the lady who checked us in - we were booked in a standard room and were given a free upgrade to a high floor Tower Suites room with an amazing view of the mountains. Hubby mentioned we were there to celebrate our anniversary and they sent us up a card and a box of chocs!
Jane3865 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Metalguru...would you be ok to try it, or feel embarrassed to try? If you are ok, I would give it a try if you would be happy with a panoramic view for the $20. Are you going at a busy time?
Old 17 Aug 17, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Well it's a Sunday evening 5th November and we won't get there till late on 11pm ish, I have already eamiled them as to our arrival time and they have noted it.

A panoramic view room would be fine, obviously wasn't expecting a high roller job.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Sunday is good and most rooms with have been allocated by then so they know what they have available. Its common practice so no desk clerk would be offended so would give it a go myself... unless you feel embarrassed?