Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Sep 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We took a three year old and he loved it. Took him again when he was 4 and he remembered it he is six and about to go again and he knows we are going back to the same resort ((CBR) and remembers amazing details about it. I’m sure those details will fade over time but as others have said you’ll remember it. When we first took him it was my first time since my parents took me so I had pretty much no expectations. Just be aware a three year old finds all sorts of things fascinating that we don’t- railings, steps, ducks (not Donald!) and things you might think they’ll love they have no interest in at all!

I found the Walt Disney World for kids book full of useful tips. From the same people behind Touringplans.

For what it’s worth they say any age but if you are only going to be able to go once they reckon the best age might be around 9 or 10 but only for getting best value-is they can do and enjoy everything. They will love different things at different ages and you’ll love every visit.

Since you are planning on going back at around 7 or 8 it sounds about right 😀

Edited at 09:15 AM.
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

I was three on my first trip and I do have memories - in fact they are my earliest concrete memories - probably because a trip to Florida is a big enough and distinctive enough thing to stand out! There weren't loads of photos back then either, so it's not as if photos are filling in non-existent memories!

We took our son in the year before he started school - so he was four and a half. He absolutely remembers, and it was magical because he still really believed in it all - which cements a point made by another poster - the memories you make watching your child will be unforgettable for you! We're going again this year when he will be a couple of weeks short of 8 (although we did Tokyo when he was 6).

As others have said, there is no "perfect" or "right" age as it depends a lot on your child and your circumstances. For a one time only trip, I'd probably say go a bit older, so they remember and are able to experience everything. But otherwise, there is something for every age in Florida!
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Hotlush
Very Serious Dibber

Realistically young kids wouldn't care if they were seeing Elsa at Disney, or seeing some bloke in a bad Peppa Pig costume at the local shopping centre.

If you're happy to cope with the travelling, the heat, the queues and do all of that with a toddler then don't worry what others think. If it's just about giving the kids a good time there are cheaper and more practical options.
Hotlush is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Lulu Belle
Apprentice Imagineer

Our DD was 2.5 when we first went and although she might not remember it all now, she had so much fun when we were there and we still made family memories. We have been back since though and I think once you've been you'll def want to return!
Lulu Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Minniemagoo
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by Hotlush View Post
If you're happy to cope with the travelling, the heat, the queues and do all of that with a toddler then don't worry what others think.
We don't feel like that about Disney trips at all so taking the kids when they were younger was a no brainer. Travel has always been ok and when younger we went early May when it wasn't so hot/busy. The memories were for us. The kids had a ball and tbh don't remember visits before about aged 5 but Dh and I do remember and have lovely photos of them at 2/3 with the little einsteins etc that they weren't so attracted by as they got older. At about 5 we have lovely photos with Toy Story characters/Disney Princesses. From about 7 they got into the faster rides, last time it was all universal esp hulk ride/HP land and KSC.

Can't wait for next time, June 2020 with 3 teens
Our family trips, May 2010,Oct 2017
Last trip 2005
Minniemagoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Well for us we took the kids at the following ages

One had her first trip just before she was 3, nappies were done with and we'd waited long enough since our previous pre-kids trip. She's now almost 13 and been several times in the intervening period.
The second Daughter was taken at "-2" months (we sneaked her in without a passport . She has been a couple of times since, she is now nearly 4.
The big kid posting this got taken for his first trip aged 31.
Old 3 Sep 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Rawhide
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Started taking my kids before they were 2, and haven’t stopped yet.

It’s magical at any age, and memories and special moments aren’t confined to the kids.
Rawhide is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Pollita
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Thank you all so much! I've done WDW many times on my own/with friends/my ex but never with children so not too sure on what to do! To answer all the questions, I would absolutely love for it to be a regular thing but realistically I think it'll be once every 3 years or so, maybe one BIG trip with all the extras when he's a lot older
Old 3 Sep 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
plastic orange
Very Serious Dibber

We took our kids when they were 9 and 11, then many times after this. We took our grandkids 3 and 6 (and their parents) last year and were unsure if they would be too young. I'm glad to say that they coped great with the travel, heat, parks etc and we're going back next year with them. We only missed this year as our daughter and son in law's baby was in our opinion (and their's) too young at 10 months, so we had a family holiday in Menorca instead- mainly due to the short flight. We're not sure yet if they are joining us next year, but I think she'd probably still be a bit young , but we'll see.

Pete
Old 3 Sep 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi at 3 kids dont remember anything, but they will react to what they see and this is where the great photos come from. It's also this that gives the parents the little extra magic. Go and enjoy the holiday but be realistic at what can be done and plan down time to relax. Tired crying kids to be avoided.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List