Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Nov 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a load of old cobblers. Some schools just need a good finger wagged at them.

Not of course for your daughter who I feel sorry for.

Many, many schools have used the time away from the classroom due to covid to bring in a raft of new rules. Some of which do not lend themselves to a modern educational environment. In fact many of the rules are more like victorian times.

In our school we too have brought in ruler reading but only for KS3. Also brought in standing when someone comes in to a room, lining up outside in all weather's for class (a living nightmare) and a lot more silly rules to boot.

Tell the head she will lift her book due to her eyesight issues and not use an easel due to anxiety. If he still insists then Complain to the trust CEO. send a letter to the governors too.
Old 13 Nov 21, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Would she be allowed to prop book up on a pencil case while a solution sorted?
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by levtweeney View Post
What a load of old cobblers. Some schools just need a good finger wagged at them.

Not of course for your daughter who I feel sorry for.

Many, many schools have used the time away from the classroom due to covid to bring in a raft of new rules. Some of which do not lend themselves to a modern educational environment. In fact many of the rules are more like victorian times.

In our school we too have brought in ruler reading but only for KS3. Also brought in standing when someone comes in to a room, lining up outside in all weather's for class (a living nightmare) and a lot more silly rules to boot.

Tell the head she will lift her book due to her eyesight issues and not use an easel due to anxiety. If he still insists then Complain to the trust CEO. send a letter to the governors too.
Thank you for this and yes sounds similar wonder if it is same trust as they have outside line ups and have to get signatures from teachers in a peace of paper throughout the day and they then get told off if not enough signatures. I have looked at procedures and it seems I have to a set process for complaining about this issue. I am not sure if I can just jump to the top but If I can I will do. If my daughter was in year 7 I would change schools.
Sunnydays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Noodle500 View Post
Would she be allowed to prop book up on a pencil case while a solution sorted?
Sadly not they want the book flat.

The solution is simply holding her book so that she feels comfortable luckily her opticians were brilliant and obviously explain it better than me and are happy to provide me a letter.

I just hope they accept the letter and then we can just get her back to being happy at school.
Sunnydays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Stitchesmumanddad View Post
This is absolutely insane ! Id feel anxious having to use an easel. She is reading the book how does it matter how she does it? Talk about a school creating new world problems after the two awful years the kids have had with their schooling. Hope you get it sorted. I think holding the book could be considered a reasonable adjustment for your daughters eye issues and mental health and Id be mentioning disability discrimination.
Thank you sorry I missed this reply, exactly that they like using the term unprecedented times when it suits them. I feel much better after posting this question and getting so much advice. I agree it really should not matter.

Edited at 03:16 PM.
Old 13 Nov 21, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mpet View Post
I know it’s been a while since I was at school, but is it just me who thinks it’s odd to expect 15 year olds to follow a teacher reading with a ruler in their own book.

I think I would make it clear to the school (supported by doctor/ opticians note if possible), that my daughter cannot read with a book flat (due to medical reasons) also using an easel does not allow her to adjust the book to suit her vision.
I was thinking very similar. I don’t ever remember having to read a book along with a teacher like that and certainly not at 15, I can’t even think what the reason for it would be.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I was thinking very similar. I don’t ever remember having to read a book along with a teacher like that and certainly not at 15, I can’t even think what the reason for it would be.
I will ask in my email why they do it. I can only find information regarding helping dyslexic students using a reading ruler but that ruler is clear.
Old 13 Nov 21, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm baffled as to why they want any child in secondary school to have their book flat.
If it was a child struggling to read or was dyslexic etc maybe yes but not an entire class.

I work in a primary school, in the younger classes we get the children to read with the book flat on the table, that's so we can watch them as they read eg... can they point to the words, do they know the words or are they memorising them etc. What words are the struggling with and things like that. It means we can also model pointing to the words etc
Usually by the end of the year, at least our top group are holding their books at an angle. The less able children usually don't.

I'm also working 1-1with a small group in the older classes to help with their reading... they hold their books but now and again if its a tricky book they'll put the book flat and use their finger.

Sometimes I'd suggest they use their bookmark or a small reading ruler to help them, but that's only if they are losing focus or getting mixed up when reading eh skipping sentences/words or reading words from the sentence below etc. That's down to each individual child.

I'd definitely be speaking to the SENCO or teacher for a clear explanation as to why they are insisting the whole class has to do it... its clearly not working for your daughter and what works for one child won't always work for another.

I remember when I was at school myself our teacher used to read the book to us sometimes, we enjoyed it as some if us found we paid more attention to the book and took in more information when someone else read it to us... we often asked her to do it, and she was more than happy to do so... she also commented back then how our coursework improved etc.

The older children in our school now often enjoy listening to teachers read to them.
The children I work with 1-1 reading they often ask for me to read the book as it helps them. I usually read a few pages then get them to read the rest of the chapter and I see and hear the difference in their reading... sometimes it helps their confidence too.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
I'm baffled as to why they want any child in secondary school to have their book flat.
If it was a child struggling to read or was dyslexic etc maybe yes but not an entire class.

I work in a primary school, in the younger classes we get the children to read with the book flat on the table, that's so we can watch them as they read eg... can they point to the words, do they know the words or are they memorising them etc. What words are the struggling with and things like that. It means we can also model pointing to the words etc
Usually by the end of the year, at least our top group are holding their books at an angle. The less able children usually don't.

I'm also working 1-1with a small group in the older classes to help with their reading... they hold their books but now and again if its a tricky book they'll put the book flat and use their finger.

Sometimes I'd suggest they use their bookmark or a small reading ruler to help them, but that's only if they are losing focus or getting mixed up when reading eh skipping sentences/words or reading words from the sentence below etc. That's down to each individual child.

I'd definitely be speaking to the SENCO or teacher for a clear explanation as to why they are insisting the whole class has to do it... its clearly not working for your daughter and what works for one child won't always work for another.

I remember when I was at school myself our teacher used to read the book to us sometimes, we enjoyed it as some if us found we paid more attention to the book and took in more information when someone else read it to us... we often asked her to do it, and she was more than happy to do so... she also commented back then how our coursework improved etc.

The older children in our school now often enjoy listening to teachers read to them.
The children I work with 1-1 reading they often ask for me to read the book as it helps them. I usually read a few pages then get them to read the rest of the chapter and I see and hear the difference in their reading... sometimes it helps their confidence too.
Thank you for the detailed reply that is helpful. It’s the whole school not just her class that have to follow the book reading flat. I believe it is taking any enjoyment out of reading for the students but in my daughters case she can’t actually read like it. I am going to ask them for evidence regarding this rule.

I have just been reading interesting article from Michael Rosen on why it’s important for children to scan a page and not feel forced as it takes out enjoyment.

Thanks again
Old 13 Nov 21, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Perhaps a letter from the opticians would help?
I was also going to suggest asking the optician if they would be able to do a letter/ write a report stating what your daughter requires
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List