Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 22 Oct 18, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Blades 2018 HRH with a McDuff Leg

I like to do my brief reports so that I can look back and smile at them in years to come - so here goes. Saturday we drove up to Manchester and stayed at the Marriott in a family room which was quite large and very quiet. We had tea at the Romper which for a pre holiday meal was very good and not bad value for money. Sunday (flight day) - things didn’t start out to well as we forgot to set our alarm but still got to the airport in plenty of time and check in was a breeze as we had economy delight tickets. Security was also very easy due to the express passes and we found ourselves sat down having breakfast at Frankie & Bennies within 1/2 hour of parking the car at the airport (T2 M & G was very efficient). The flight was smooth (vs75) with the only downside been that the rows we were in 39/40 were the last on the food run. We were the first flight in so even with my leg it was like wacky races to immigration but my leg had seized up by then and the family was well in front so I just took my time and had a rest every 10m or so. A very nice lady saw me struggling and took me out of the que and found my family and then she took us to the special assistance kiosk which we literally walked through (hobbled) after she took a quick picture and we were then in a state of shock - 5 mins through immigration come on this doesn’t happen you have to wait hours at MCO (it did take us 2 hours last time at MCO). Our driver from Quicksilver (would recommend) was waiting for us and we were at the HRH in no time where check in was a bit long winded but we’ve come across that many times over here. The room is fab and is a nice compromise between a kids suite (had last time) and a normal room - it’s a deluxe double queen so bigger than a normal room as it’s on one of the angles of the HRH. We unpacked and went straight to get our tickets at which point we were all flagging so we went into islands of adventure and jumped on the Hulk to wake ourselves up. After this it was around city walk (I managed to buy a pair of sun glasses without my wife noticing) then on to NBC for a traditional first night meal. I’m currently the first one up as it’s 4am here (I don’t need much sleep) and all in all it’s been a good journey across and even after 20 years of visiting we are finding new things to do ie Frankie & Bennies for breakfast was better than a lounge, having a transfer was easier than picking the car up straight from the airport. Today it’s park time and I think we are going to hire a wheel chair but I’m a bit wary as I know the kids will want to push me in the lake
blades is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A great start to your holiday

Joan
Old 23 Oct 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Day 2

An early start as the studios were open at 7am due to the HHN so off we went with the kids doing the "Not So" fast and furious and then we all went and did the Harry Potter stuff which is still as good as the first time we went on. We did the park clockwise so did MIB (number 1 daughter currently is in the lead in the Blades MIB league) then we did all the usual stuff Simpsons etc, etc. We caught the train over to the Islands and to our surprise the Jurassic Park water ride was open so straight on we went (I heard rumours it was closing), we then had a leisurely stroll through the park to city walk for lunch (We did the hot dog hall of fame and the girls did Mo's). Once we got back to the hotel my Mcduff leg swelled up like a ballon so it had definitely had enough and was waving the white flag so we sat by the pool where it got treated to a big bag of ice while the good lady and myself got treated to some yummy cocktails. it was at this point we had a thought and what a thought it was - the problem with my leg is the two side ligaments not the achilles which has been repaired and as we had brought my air cast we wondered if that would stop the sideways movement which was causing the swelling. Having had a chill at the pool it was time to go back out for tea and with my air cast on I was like robocop - the family couldn't keep up with me. I felt that good we went back into IOA and did the Hulk (my first coaster of the holiday) and then walked to city walk where we had tea at Antojitos. This was the best meal we have had in city walk in all our visits - the freshly maid guacamole at the table is something else and the band/atmosphere was mint.

Quick edit I forgot to add how quiet the parks were today

Edited at 11:46 AM.
blades is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Sounds like a fab travel day... speedy at both ends, and a lovely first day.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 18, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Day 3

We went to volcano bay today which was really good, we were in the park early and got set up near the entrance to the rapids and off the kids went to do all the rides as everything was ride now up until lunch time. We decided to have lunch back at HRH which was probably a bit to much as we had an evening meal booked at Raglin road. Now comes a bit of a mess up (I’m not calling it a disaster), I’m new to the Uber thing so we decided to try it anyway we were getting ready to go out and I fired the app up and it showed a 20 min wait so I requested a ride but within 2 minutes it was here so we legged it from the room to the entrance but our ride had gone with us allegedly travelling in it. I couldn’t book another Uber as I was “travelling” in one so we got a normal taxi ride down to Disney springs which cost me $40. I wasn’t in the best of moods when I got my receipt through for someone else using my Uber so sat down and used there website and it would appear this is quite a common thing so I recorded it and carried on. We had a stroll around the shops but the prices were very high (I did some comparisons in the Lego store and it was 25% + more than the uk for stuff). We were all still full from lunch and I was struggling walking so my wife walked down to Raglin road and cancelled our ADR which they were fine with so we then went up to the market place bust turn to try Uber again. The WiFi signal was a bit flaky but we managed to get it working and Nesto from Uber gave us a lift and he had some very entertaining views on brexit which had us in stitches- also the ride was only $17. We got back to the hotel and my emails kicked in with the first one been from Uber which was to confirm they had reversed the charges so all was good (I feel a bit guilty for the driver as someone must have had a free ride but why should I pay for it). We all had a walk into city walk with the kids doing there own thing so we had a “date night” at Panda Express which was great value and was just enough food for what we wanted. On the way back we decided to have a cocktail at the Lone palm and my wife made the comment that she preferred the atmosphere at the city walk and found that Disney springs was to shop/commercial these days ( I thought the same but dare not say so when shopping is involved). The cocktails were a great end to the night and the atmosphere around city walk was really buzzing - it might just be us getting older (and the kids) that thinks this way.
Old 25 Oct 18, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Day 4

Nothing much to report today just the standard park day spent shopping for our friends who have little kids and a few hours by the pool but it’s the evening when it really hots up. We had the scareactor dining experience booked and although this was expensive it was worth every penny for our first time at HHN with the actors playing their parts brilliantly (the food was ok to). We decided to que for the stranger things house first (about an hour) and as we have never watched it we didn’t know what we were letting ourselves in for. Well words cannot describe it I jumped that much I put my back out going through the first room, I ended up grabbing hold of a totally stranger as it was that bad. We came out and I had a proper cold sweat on so we then did the scare zones which once again were crazy with our favs been the killer clowns and vamp 85. We only did one more house (trick or treat) and then it was back to the hotel for a change of grundies. The kids are going on their own tomorrow and I have bought them fast passes so we are leaving them to it while we have a few cocktails at the lone palm.

HHN = different gravy
Old 27 Oct 18, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Day 5

Today myself and the good lady decided to give the malls (international drive) a try and contrary to my beliefs you can actually get certain things cheaper over here (sketches trainers - second pair half price and the wife got a pair of ugg ankle boots really cheap). We used Uber to get there and back with the Starbucks WiFi been adequate to order a Uber. My wife then went back out in the afternoon with number 1 daughter while we did the parks. At tea time the kids went into the studios as they had express passes for the HHN so we went into city walk where I got a lone star lemonade from the little shack around the back Jimmy Buffett (opposite hot dog hall of fame) now this should come with a health warning as the older gentleman put rather a lot of spirits in it and it proper turned my legs into jelly (my wife thought it was funny). We had dinner at Jimmy buffets which was ok but not wow, I think it must have been Dutch courage as I wanted to back in the horror nights so I managed to contact the kids and I met them in there. Well what a laugh I only did the scare zones but have any of you guys played an air guitar with a zombie or rapped with a dead rapper (I just luvved the vamp 85 zone and could have stayed in there all night).

Day 6

Lads day in the parks today and the first bit of rain but not worth joining the que for the panick buying of ponchos. We all met up for lunch at toothsome which was really good but be warned even my hollow legged teenage son struggled with the milk shake at the end. City walk is rammed tonight so we just did the crazy golf (our youth beat me yesterday) and were now watching the film at the HRH pool although there is a band on in the lobby so I can see it been a bit noisy later on (it has been so quiet all week)

Another good thing it looks like we are going to come back for Christmas 2020 and having a split Disney/HRH stay and I have so many questions to ask about this as we have never done Christmas out here
Old 31 Oct 18, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Day 7/8

Nothing much to report other than the Mexican for our final evening meal and NBC for our final lunch. As our family is growing older things are changing but I can safely say even my grumpy teen daughter loved the holiday and wants to come back as a family. The flight home was very smooth etc and whilst this can help be quite a sad time for most I had the pleasure of picking my 2 springer spaniels up from the kennels and they have not left my side since - so once again thanks to the Dibb and we’ll see you on the other side

Edited at 10:49 PM.
Old 31 Oct 18, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Sounds like you had a great time. Aw such cute dogs and hope your leg gets better soon .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List