Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 21 Dec 16, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
hibbie
Trainee Dibber

Aspergers non diaganosis yet and travel insurance.

Just contacted AXA (who I normally rave about) to renew my policy and we've just been turned down for my son as we are under the paediatritian for possible aspergers. They would have insured if he did have a diagnosis of aspergers but not if we are just undergoing assesment.

We have been covered before with AXA (as have numerous other people I know on my reccemendation) when we were awaiting diagnosis/results/hospital appointments etc the conatct centre person says this has changed within the last 6 months.

Anyway since we're not going to Florida this year, thanks to previous threads I've no managed to get insurance from Eurotunnel insurance. I didn't realise they were still doing european cover (I thought they had stopped it altogether). It was so much easier as I could honestly answer no to all 4 of their medical questions and didn't have to declare everything individually!(we all have quite a few minor medical conditions that I know a lot of people wouldn't declare but I alway do just in case! ). Their reviews as far as I can see are fine but you never do know the truth until you need to claim!

Always had really good service from AXA especially when we did have to claim this year in Florida (although I'm still cahsing my money that we had to pay upfront at the hospital as noone seems to want to give it back!).

Having been a travel agent in the past and seem some innocent horror stories travel insurance is the one thing that I dread having to organise!

Edited at 12:58 PM.
hibbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 16, 02:00 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
To be fair to AXA its the same with just about every insurance company.. They won't insure for a condition that's under investigation, they will only insure once its confirmed.

Surprised you were told this changed 6 months ago though, It was the case when my husband was undergoing investigations 7 years ago, I tried every insurance company I could find and all said the same, and there have been numerous threads over the years with people having the same problem.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 16, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Firstly OP well done on an extremely well written post. Thank you.

From a simple perspective I'm not surprised that AXA wouldn't cover you for something that hasn't been diagnosed yet. Insurance is all the insurance companies assessing the level of risk they face in order to determine the level of premium they should charge and they probably feel the risk is unknown so therefore can't provide you with cover

I do feel sorry for you because this leaves you in limbo until you have a diagnosis

BB
Old 27 Dec 16, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

I am not very clued up with insurance but when DS was diagnosed with Aspergers we contacted insurance and it only increased the policy by £6 (insurance with bank account) For the last few years we have used Allclear for insurance and it does not increase the price of insurance at all. Could you not declare that he has it, or would you get into trouble if you had to make a claim and it isn't aspergers? Apologies if that's totally the wrong thing to do but as I don't think cost is too much of a factor, surely you couldn't get into trouble for declaring something you haven't got (if that is the case)... but then again insurance companies are a law unto themselves. Maybe you could phone and ask them, good luck x
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 16, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

My DD is awaiting her CAMHS assessment for ASD too, and when I arranged insurance through Virgin, they weren't too worried? I had to declare asthma for DD1, a skin condition for DD2, a minor ailment for DH (me and DS are the only healthy ones lol), all of which were noted.

Then I mentioned the possibility of ASD for DD1 but said there was no formal diagnosis as yet. The chap said he'd put a note of it on the file but it didn't affect the cost or anything.
VicStar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 17, 03:24 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by ansi41 View Post
I am not very clued up with insurance but when DS was diagnosed with Aspergers we contacted insurance and it only increased the policy by £6 (insurance with bank account) For the last few years we have used Allclear for insurance and it does not increase the price of insurance at all. Could you not declare that he has it, or would you get into trouble if you had to make a claim and it isn't aspergers? Apologies if that's totally the wrong thing to do but as I don't think cost is too much of a factor, surely you couldn't get into trouble for declaring something you haven't got (if that is the case)... but then again insurance companies are a law unto themselves. Maybe you could phone and ask them, good luck x
You can't declare a condition that's not been diagnosed .

We knew what was wrong with my husband the GP was 99% sure but the Consultant he was under wouldn't confirm it till more tests were carried out. We could have said yes he's got psoratic arthritis but in the event of a claim I'm sure the insurance would have said no sorry its not been diagnosed. We went on the trip with that condition uninsured.

Cost wasn't a issue , now we declare it and it makes very little difference to the policy, like aspergers its not life threatening and there's very little chance of him ever needing treatment abroad for it
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List