Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Mar 21, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Question varifocals?

anyone wear varifocals? how do you find them?

I need to get new glasses and as my sight in one eye has become really bad they recommended varifocals. Apparently varifocals can cause distortion to the edges of the vision and as I have balance issues they said I may not get on with them so if that happens they don't work for me then I could get 2 single pairs instead but as the varifocals are not exactly cheap I'm wondering if its worth bothering or if I should just go for the 2 single pairs?
They did say if I go for them more expensive ones/ pay for the "upgrades" on the varifocals then I'm less likely to suffer with distortion but not sure if that's just a way to push the upgrades and get you to buy more expensive glasses?
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I’ve been wearing varifocals for about 3 years. The 1st pair took some getting used to, and they had to remake them 3 times until I was happy with them. Since then they’ve been fine, but in the initial stages I had to persevere.

DH needed either bifocals or varifocals last year. He tried the varifocals and couldn’t get on with them, so he had bifocals (think they called them occupational lenses). He was fine with those, and has since transferred to varifocals. I think his brian just took a bit longer to get used to them.
Old 28 Mar 21, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by mandco View Post
anyone wear varifocals? how do you find them?

I need to get new glasses and as my sight in one eye has become really bad they recommended varifocals. Apparently varifocals can cause distortion to the edges of the vision and as I have balance issues they said I may not get on with them so if that happens they don't work for me then I could get 2 single pairs instead but as the varifocals are not exactly cheap I'm wondering if its worth bothering or if I should just go for the 2 single pairs?
They did say if I go for them more expensive ones/ pay for the "upgrades" on the varifocals then I'm less likely to suffer with distortion but not sure if that's just a way to push the upgrades and get you to buy more expensive glasses?
I tried the cheapest varifocals many years ago and far too much distortion at the edges. I now buy the middle version and get along fine with them, there is the top of the range which has even less distortion.
I like varifocals, I need some varifocal sunglasses now as I can’t get along with single vision now
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I put my first pair of varifocals on in the optician, walked out fine and haven't had any problems in the 4 years that I've had them

DH however is saying he's going back to single vision lenses for his next pair- hates his varifocals

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I’ve been wearing varifocals for about 3 years. The 1st pair took some getting used to, and they had to remake them 3 times until I was happy with them. Since then they’ve been fine, but in the initial stages I had to persevere.

DH needed either bifocals or varifocals last year. He tried the varifocals and couldn’t get on with them, so he had bifocals (think they called them occupational lenses). He was fine with those, and has since transferred to varifocals. I think his brain just took a bit longer to get used to them.
Old 28 Mar 21, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
I have varifocals and have no problems with them at all, not even when I got my first pair and went from no glasses to varifocals.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

I also have varifocals and have been wearing them for years with no problems from the get go.

It's just a bit of a shock to end up paying £300 for the £85 specsavers glasses! I never go for a 2nd "free" pair but they do often have a £40 or so reduction for varifocal lenses that they don't shout out about.
Libby is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I've had varifocals for a few years now.

I've always had Specsavers varifocals and went with the 2nd best lenses (less side distortion), which I had no problems wearing from the minute I put them on.

I have Menieres disease, so have balance issues, but I've not had any issues with my varifocals making me feel worse.

Just a little warning though, I had a new prescription back in July 2020 from Specsavers (GP advised I see the Optician asap due to nystagmus).
I then spent months, over about 10 visits, trying to get the "right" lenses and frames via Specsavers.
I ended up with the Manager apologising profusely to me and giving me my money back... the lenses were awful, the distortion was nasty.
My prescription had only changed very slightly, for reading in my left eye.
They tried 4 times to get the lenses right and failed.
I've since found out my cousin had the same issues around the same time with Specsavers varifocals, so I think perhaps they had/have a bad batch of lenses.

I won't be going back to Specsavers.
Old 28 Mar 21, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

I’ve been wearing varifocals for about three years , never had any issues , find is so much easier than having 2 pairs of glasses , DH has two pairs and is constantly on off on off with his, we’re both going to the opticians next month and he’s going for varifiocals for the first time.
Wouldn’t be without mine

Jules
signtalker is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Perthite
Very Serious Dibber

I found varifocals to be a bit of a compromise, with the sharpness never as good as with single purpose specs. After a few changes it was eventually concluded that I must have a slight intolerance to varifocals.

In the end I went for lens replacement surgery, which worked.
Perthite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List