Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Apr 20, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Emmie2016 View Post
We currently have new potatoes, broccoli, runner beans, carrots, kale, tomatoes, peppers, chillies and black currents on our garden. Love watching every sprout and grow.

We have also grown our plants from seeds for the first time. Going to try pricking them today. On last count we had 103 pots on our balcony 😳 (we have a large balcony).
You do have a large balcony 😂 I can’t wait to see our seedlings grow, I’m hoping to add a few others for variation too. We have had some success with potatoes before. Our children loved watching us dig them up and counting how many were under each plant when they were little
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
when we went to the Tenby area from Kent it took us 9 hours to get there on a Friday morning in August, my OH was all for turning back and losing the £800 odd I had spent on a lodge We have been to Padstow and that area too which was lovely but I personally thought Wales was nicer.
Gosh, 9hrs not towing, I dread to think what it would take towing! My main reason for choosing a bigger town is that until my poor knees are sorted out I can't walk very far and most of the rural campsites involve quite a bit of walking! Going to the Gower (Mumbles) all being well, really looking forward to it.
Old 26 Apr 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
My list of sites is growing, some lovely places.
We have a folding camper, there don't seem to be that many about. A perfect compromise between tent and caravan. All mod cons and surprisingly roomy and warm and you can book a tent or caravan pitch!

eastfleet/
Here is another site we stay at in the heart of Dorset.
We went to the caravan show in Birmingham in February and were very interested in the folding campers. Now there’s just the two of us (although Georgia still comes with us if she’s not in uni as she loves Caravanning too) we said a folding van would be perfect when we need to change our old van
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
A mini orchard sounds lovely. It would be so nice to pick your own fruit. We tried growing strawberries once but sadly the birds had them before we did 😢 I’ve always loved feeding the birds, but I do wish they would stick to the feeders not my plants 😂
We are lucky in that our garden was originally part of the orchard of a Manor House so we had trees already established. We've lost most now (think many were over 200 years old) and those that are left don't produce useable fruit, hence the idea of planting our own.

We will have to fence it off though as our 2 labs love eating the windfall pears we get- they have made themselves drunk by going for ones that were fermenting!
Old 26 Apr 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tillyjcm View Post
Ooh brilliant thread thanks. I’ve currently got a windowsill full of the little M & S pots plus Sunflower seedlings in varying degrees of success.

I was initially just spraying water on each day and most of seedlings sprouted; basil, beetroot, pansy, Viola, lettuce, cress, forget me not and finally red peppers. Some of the seedlings went leggy and died off but others aren’t doing too bad. I’ve since started adding water to base of pots (does this encourage root growth?)

The sunflowers were in a bucket kit which when seedlings all sprouted you had to transplant all but four. The ones which have been transplanted have been doing much better than the ones in the bucket so I’m not sure if it’s down to different compost used.

I don’t know when to move all seedlings outside as it’s been chilly at night here and I don’t have a greenhouse or cold frame.
I love sunflowers although I’ve never managed to grow a very tall one. I just planted all my seeds outside yesterday but it has warmed up here and they are on a south facing sheltered patio area and I’m covering them at night so fingers crossed they will survive 😀
Old 26 Apr 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
Thank you DD yes it's very peaceful and the patio area is a bit of a suntrap. The joy of growing new plants from layered cuttings is that they flower as soon as they have rootstock and leaves strong enough to feed the flower buds. If you tried to grow the plant from seeds it can take 15 years before they flower eeeks! couldn't wait that long lol
We planted a small Willow tree sapling in our garden when we got married, 34 years ago. It’s been fantastic to watch that grow over the years
Old 26 Apr 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
You do have a large balcony 😂 I can’t wait to see our seedlings grow, I’m hoping to add a few others for variation too. We have had some success with potatoes before. Our children loved watching us dig them up and counting how many were under each plant when they were little
These are a few pictures from previous years, as I'm full of hayfever so I'm not going outside right now Haha. Every year we add more pots. This year is our first year doing veg, so i have alot more pots Haha. Behind these pictures we also have a huge rabbit hutch and run!

We also have a smaller balcony in the bedroom and I have put pots there now. I dread when I move!

Edited at 09:25 AM.
Emmie2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Great idea for a thread DisneyDaffodil

Keep it going!

BB
Feel free to join in BB 😀
Old 26 Apr 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
This is the Wisteria I grew from a layered cutting in our garden in France. When we moved back to the UK 8 years ago it was about 15 inches tall with just a few leaves on. It's flowered early this year so sadly is beginning to go over now but it will flower again in September

And my tomatoes seedlings, I grow lots of different varieties from seed which I keep from fruits grown the previous year. Red, yellow, black cherry, black Russian and miniature reds
I always plant way too many seeds so have plants for ourselves and plenty to give away. We always have gluts so I freeze and preserve them and eat them in one form or another all year round
We have an old wisteria too, it’s still flowering at the moment, it’s gorgeous!

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
when we went to the Tenby area from Kent it took us 9 hours to get there on a Friday morning in August, my OH was all for turning back and losing the £800 odd I had spent on a lodge We have been to Padstow and that area too which was lovely but I personally thought Wales was nicer.
I’m biased, but I love Wales 😀 I will admit that not all the roads are good though