Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Sep 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tylergeorgia
Apprentice Imagineer

What’s KLM like?
Never flown with them
Old 24 Sep 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
angelcake71
Imagineer

Glad you found flights at such good prices.. I am amazed they have gone up so much.. yes it may be business but its also annoying too! was going to book a flight to see my brother in October, but the prices have doubled, so I won't be going now..
angelcake71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandonewbie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by tylergeorgia View Post
What’s KLM like?
Never flown with them
I think the flights the OP mentions are actually codeshare flights with Virgin - so you would be on a Virgin plane.
orlandonewbie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gemini157
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by angelcake71 View Post
Glad you found flights at such good prices.. I am amazed they have gone up so much.. yes it may be business but its also annoying too! was going to book a flight to see my brother in October, but the prices have doubled, so I won't be going now..
angelcake, perhaps they will come down again? They seem to be fluctuating. I hope you can go.
Gemini157 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
angelcake71
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gemini157 View Post
angelcake, perhaps they will come down again? They seem to be fluctuating. I hope you can go.
Thanks lovely... hope so too, but in comparison to what other people are going through at the moment, its not the end of the world if I don't get to go.. there is always next year!
angelcake71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Virgin are not chancing their arm.

It’s simple economics of supply and demand.

For example the day we were flying 4 TC flights were leaving for Orlando.

All those people who booked have to go somewhere. So everyone jumps onto the other carriers. Computer programs read that tickets are running out and the price just jumps.

We flew with Virgin 6 years ago on exactly the same date and time, last time the flight was so empty we had a row each as it was so empty and the tickets were extremely cheap.

This time it’s virtually sold out and cheapest ticket is in the 4 figures.

I dislike it, but Capitalism at work

Edited at 11:45 AM.
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I was flying TC Premium out of Manchester May/June holidays. 2 Adults and 2 Kids - £4199

Now flying with Norwegian Air Premium out of Gatwick - £4299

Lucky I have a company car so no fuel costs but having to pay an extra £244 for the hotel and parking.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kev Harrison View Post
Virgin are not chancing their arm.

It’s simple economics of supply and demand.
I am no stranger to the airlines practices and pricing strategies but I am seeing numbers far beyond anything I have ever seen before. I have no doubt there is some human involvement boosting the prices - its not simply just the usual algorithms.

It is supply and demand. At the moment there is more demand than supply (on direct flights anyway) but to go as far to say the airlines have not seen a chance to cash in on our misery is going far beyond the realms of reality. They certainly are.

Edited at 12:03 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
I am no stranger to the airlines practices and pricing strategies but I am seeing numbers far beyond anything I have ever seen before. I have no doubt there is some human involvement boosting the prices - its not simply just the usual algorithms.

It is supply and demand. At the moment there is more demand than supply (on direct flights anyway) but to go as far to say the airlines have not seen a chance to cash in on our misery is going far beyond the realms of reality. They certainly are.
Is that not what I said? The prices had jumped up in the early hours of Monday morning- somehow doubt someone at Virgin was editing figures at 4am.

What I am saying is that prices are clearly going to increase until another player enters the market in the long term or demand softens. That’s not chancing your arm that’s simple Capitalism.
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kev Harrison View Post
Is that not what I said? The prices had jumped up in the early hours of Monday morning- somehow doubt someone at Virgin was editing figures at 4am.

What I am saying is that prices are clearly going to increase until another player enters the market in the long term or demand softens. That’s not chancing your arm that’s simple Capitalism.
We can agree its supply and demand and that is going to drive up prices.

We clearly are on a different page on what is unfettered and unhealthy capitalism and opportunism at the expense of someone in a desperate situation vs what is moral and responsible capitalism.

Once upon a time airlines and Travel Agents used to give out "rescue" deals to people who had lost holidays due to collapses of other businesses.

A few airlines prices haven't sky rocketed -Norwegian being one of them (and goodness knows they need the cash at the moment) others like Virgin literally double their prices within a hour of the announcement.

Another shout out I will give is Forest Holidays said anyone with TC booking for a couple of weeks in September could take up some of their available cabins. Not everyone scraped the barrel like Virgin did and are doing.

If you think no one at Virgin was awake or around at 4am I would suggest that's quite naive.

Edited at 12:47 PM.