Notices

Old 28 Nov 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ld1978 View Post
Weíve had a case in year 1 (asymptomatic and only knew as sibling at nursery was tested) and my daughter is in year 2.

I have an extremely vulnerable dad who still wishes to see kids and in childcare bubble. We are doing Xmas with him and my mum but it got me thinking if the need to isolate arose in the lead up to Xmas that would scupper Xmas day.

Debating taking her out two weeks early so we know we will definitely be together Xmas day.

Has anyone else thought about it?
It seems your parents are already caring for your kids so what has changed.

I am going to give my opinion because you ask the question. I think removing your child from school so they can have xmas day with people you are already seeing shows a lack of respect for education and is an extremely bad example to set your child.

Sorry probably not what you want to read but you asked the question!
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

I think a senior school in our county, but not local to me, is considering just this. They are discussing home learning from the 10th December as any positive cases within the school after this would lead to groups of children isolating for 14 days and therefore not being able to o have a family Christmas. Itís less about your individual child catching it and having symptoms and more about the bubble isolation really. Imagine breaking up for school on the 18th and then getting an email over that weekend saying your child had to isolate which would be pretty much for the whole of the Christmas holidays. Itís an interesting one- Iím intrigued to see how it plays out at that school and whether others follow suit.
Evil queen is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Apprentice Imagineer

I work from home, hubby decorates currently in an empty house and parents donít go out so yes we would all be isolating. I donít go to shops or go anywhere as it is. Xmas is different to know as itís a special day and I donít want to risk not being able to be together. If it happens now itís not a special day.

Sheís year 2 and would only be 5 extra days most of which are nativity Xmas dinner day and less learning. For me I feel comfortable in her missing that one extra week (as do lots of parents in the school as many are talking about doing it)

The child was tested as their sibling had a positive test after being sent home from nursery. The year 1 child had no symptoms
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
It seems your parents are already caring for your kids so what has changed.

I am going to give my opinion because you ask the question. I think removing your child from school so they can have xmas day with people you are already seeing shows a lack of respect for education and is an extremely bad example to set your child.

Sorry probably not what you want to read but you asked the question!
Thatís fine you are entitled to your opinion but not one I share. Sheís just turned 7 where in some countries they donít even start school. One extra Week for me isnít an issue. I think bad example and disrespect is a little ott but your opinion and I respectfully disagree
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi in your own words you have someone extremely vulnerable, just stand back and think what you have said.
Why would you let Christmas be a chance for infection.
Surly itís better not to have them for Christmas and wait for vaccine and a time that is more appropriate.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Apprentice Imagineer

Kids and I are spending Xmas alone, Iím not having them missing any more school than they already have this year, my DH is working away so itís just me and the kids, but Iím not mixing unnecessarily with vulnerable family members nor disrupting the kidsí education any more. Itís one Christmas, vaccine is around the corner, I really donít see the fuss people are making.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Apprentice Imagineer

The child was tested as their sibling had a positive test after being sent home from nursery. The year 1 child had no symptoms
The child shouldnít have been tested unless they displayed symptoms...

I can see this becoming a thread like taking kids out of school for holidays. IMO if there is no good reason to remove them from school (and spending Christmas together is one of those for me, weíve decided as a family to now wait until Easter,) then it should be subject to the usual £60 fine.

Sorry I know you donít agree, but my DD is 5, and she rarely gets to see her grandparents at the moment (usually sees my mum every weekend in Winter,) it just something we have to deal with, sadly.
2018 - First visit for my daughter and as a family
Bolto6 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I work from home, hubby decorates currently in an empty house and parents donít go out so yes we would all be isolating. I donít go to shops or go anywhere as it is. Xmas is different to know as itís a special day and I donít want to risk not being able to be together. If it happens now itís not a special day.

Sheís year 2 and would only be 5 extra days most of which are nativity Xmas dinner day and less learning. For me I feel comfortable in her missing that one extra week (as do lots of parents in the school as many are talking about doing it)

It's sounds like you can all isolate but if you are seeing each other now I still don't see what is different. Will you stop seeing each other from DD breaking up for the two weeks, just in case, so you can have that special day.

To me its not about the risk to your parents, you are seeing each other now. It's about not spoiling Christmas dinner. For that reason only do I disagree with taking her out.
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My husband is a college tutor. They have already decided that all lessons are being done via zoom or teams, or both 🤷 From the 14th - 18th December so no staff or pupils will be in college for two weeks before Christmas (they brake up in the 19th anyway)

We received an updated newsletter from our sons primary school, so far they are definitely staying open until normal brake up.
I am tempted to keep my three off, I must admit, but my husband insists they need to be in school as they have already missed too much education.
So mixed opinions in our house 🙈
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
My husband is a college tutor. They have already decided that all lessons are being done via zoom or teams, or both 🤷 From the 14th - 18th December so no staff or pupils will be in college for two weeks before Christmas (they brake up in the 19th anyway)

We received an updated newsletter from our sons primary school, so far they are definitely staying open until normal brake up.
I am tempted to keep my three off, I must admit, but my husband insists they need to be in school as they have already missed too much education.
So mixed opinions in our house 🙈
Iím with your husband
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List