Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jan 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

The eco meter on cars is totally different to the insurance black boxes.

Complaining to a garage about a technician who can’t get the same eco readings as the owner is pointless because they will be driving it in a different manner, and probably not dangerously.
They will try out the brakes harder than normal to see that they work perfectly in an emergency.
They will accelerate harder to ensure the engine is operating correctly thro the whole range etc etc. All this can happen at under 30.
Also it will record longer periods where the engine may be running and not moving as on the ramp, or even on the rolling road where your eco meter may think the car is doing 80 or more when it’s not actually moving.

My personal opinion is that you cannot judge how a mechanic or technician has treated your car due to an eco meter.
I have one on my Toyota Corolla Hybrid, and on some roads I can get 80% plus if the traffic is light, the next day the traffic is busy and the eco can go down to around 50 to 60%. In town on a busy day it can be around 60%
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
jackster14
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I’ve brought DS’s car in today to have 2 tyres replaced & just watched the mechanic drive it like he stole it! Checked the app & yep, he’d dropped DS’s perfect 100% record down to 64, not impressed!

It’s not enough to get him a fine & I've spoken to the insurance company about getting the event removed (not to mention shared my feelings with the garage) but certainly a lesson to be learnt here!
We had exactly this happen to us.
Within one day if black box being fitted my daughter had a yellow warning for doing 49 in a 30.
The garage confirmed they were using the car at the time and the warning was removed but continues to affect the score. A shame they didn’t do it open a 60mph zone.

Have to say though that the black box is great for new drivers...really makes them think about speed.
jackster14 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Air Hercs
Helping Mickey

Mobile

Same thing happened to my cousin, they got an email to say his insurance was cancelled as the black box had recorded a speed of 110mph! It was with the garage at the time...
Air Hercs is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

This happened to the daughter of someone i work with. Car needed a dink mended, the car got driven at speed at night! She had a real battle to get it taken off the record, and the garage was one she was told to use by the insurers! Was sorted in the end though.