Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jan 20, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile Garden subsidence issue - any knowledge?

The house behind us did a large extension last year and also dug their garden down by 2 feet.

We became aware of this in the summer when they told us that mud was running down into their garden and asked us to stop using the hose! This lead to a conversation where it emerged that they had dug down without building a retaining wall... (nor was it mentioned in their planning application)

I left it with them and they said they would get their builder back and rectify.

Yesterday I noticed our fence has started collapsing into their garden. I went straight round and, you guessed it, no retaining feature ha been installed.

I’ve sent them messages of photos from my side showing the gap between the grass and the fence and the hole that has appeared in my garden and they are to get back to me with their plans to rectify.

As you can imagine, I don’t have much faith in them actually doing much about it, so does anyone have any experience about what my next steps should be?

It doesn’t seem like a planning issue, but should I contact building control?

Thanks in advance!

Edited at 08:35 PM.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Get in touch with your house/building insurance inform them of the situation & whats happening & they should take over the situation for you. Get it done asap as if you get a subsidence problem YOU will have to pay £1k towards getting it sorted if you havent reported what's happening NOW!
Been there done that, had to pay the £1k and it was next doors trees causing our problem!
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Get in touch with your house/building insurance inform them of the situation & whats happening & they should take over the situation for you. Get it done asap as if you get a subsidence problem YOU will have to pay £1k towards getting it sorted if you havent reported what's happening NOW!
Been there done that, had to pay the £1k and it was next doors trees causing our problem!
Thanks - I was planning on calling them on Monday, but perhaps I'll take a look and see if they're open tomorrow. I don't like the sound of having to put my hand in my pocket for something that they've done, have been informed about and still not rectified!
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

If your neighbour doesn’t rectify the problem they have created it would probably be worth talking to your local council. Does your home insurance include legal cover? Is so, it might be worth having a chat with them before claiming on your own insurance.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List