Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Mar 21, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ducati211
Trainee Dibber

Summer house/log Cabin

Looking for a bit of advice from people who have either a summer house/log cabin, recommendations on where to buy one, whether to try and do D.I.Y and to put in own double glazing, as husband fairly handy, been looking at Waltons. Also hoe best to heat them? log burner? Thank you
ducati211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ducati211
Trainee Dibber

I am sure my OH would love love that size, we don't have the biggest of gardens but he really needs someone he can use as a home office at times instead of being in one of our sons bedrooms, but it means losing our shed that we use for normal garden/bike storage if we get a summer house. Been looking at videos on youtube as well, and we were thinking its easier to order a kit but as you said may not be the best quality!
ducati211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
legolass
slightly serious Dibber

Hi, we bought one last year from Tuin and we are really pleased with it. They have a really big selection including some that have a small shed attached. There is lots of information on their website about building etc, it’s worth a look even if you buy elsewhere. We built our one ourselves, it was pretty straightforward and the whole thing was up within a few days. They are very helpful if you have any queries or problems. We emailed them on a Saturday morning looking for some help and someone got back to us within a hour, I can really recommend them.
legolass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

I ordered from Tuin too, great quality and very well priced.

Easy to assemble. The work can be divided up as -

Preparing base - 30%
Build up to roof level - 10%
Nailing on roof - 10%
Nailing on roof shingles - 20%
4 Coats of a quality preserver - 30%

Mine is 4.2m x 4.2m, 2.5m high at the apex.

2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
legolass
slightly serious Dibber

I completely agree with how the work is divided up. Building up to roof level is pretty simple, it took us hardly any time at all and it really spurs you on when you see how quick it goes up.

Also, agree it's very important to use good preservative, we used Jotun which is expensive but worth it I think.
legolass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

We bought a 3 x 4 metre cabin from Dunster House. We did pay for them to instal as our neighbours had tried to do it themselves and the doors have never shut properly. They also have a system whereby you don't need a concrete base which has worked really well.

We then had an electrician wire in sockets and plugs and DH ran the cable for internet and put in additional insulation and plasterboard on the walls. We did all the painting ourselves including wood treatment. I do agree that using a good quality stain is important. We have just given ours a second coat after, I think, about 6 years. We have only used paint/stain that sinks into the wood so there is no sanding down when we have to repaint.

Adding all the insulation to roof, floor and walls has really paid out as we use it daily as an office throughout the year. It wasn't cheap but has been so worth it.
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

my mate graeme built one recently from a kit. he's documented it all on his youtube channel including a load of time lapse construction clips...

... ?lis...bFQ0UG3LgJAVp3

wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

We're considering doing this as well. We'd knock down our dilapidated garage at the back of the house to replace it with a garden office, ideally with some sort of shed-storage built in.

Plenty of things to consider first though... Namely money, and the fact the garage is slightly recessed into the ground for some reason, so would need a very large concrete base pouring on top of what's already there.
Old 4 Mar 21, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

We have a log cabin. It’s probably no good as an office, but we have had it 15 or 16 years so far and it’s still in perfect condition. We do treat it every year though. The walls are about 6 inches thick solid wood. It was erected by the company we bought from, they do not do a self build option. Our is the barbecue house, they also do a sauna, I think you can get them without the built in seating etc.,

And this is it from the outside, best photo I have, sorry.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 21, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Ours is a Lugarde, bought from a local supplier. It’s 5m x 3m and we ran a gas supply from our house underground down the garden to the cabin so that we can have a gas stove in there for heat. Currently waiting for our plumber to come and connect it all up. We have electric in there too.

We had it professionally installed and was worth every penny for us. No way would we tackle that ourselves!

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List