Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Jan 22, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Louiseanne
Very Serious Dibber

Upper deck

I’m looking at choosing seats for our summer flight home and there are main and upper deck options. I’ve never had a choice like that before are there any benefits/disadvantages of the different decks? Thanks
Louiseanne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I'm assuming you're flying via Miami so on the A380? If there's only 2 (or 4) of you, I would go with window seats on the upper deck. You get a bit more room as there is a cubby by the window since the wall is too curved to place the seat hard up against the window. Sometimes you can use these for storage, I usually stick the pillow and blanket in there when I'm not using them.

You can see what I mean on the seat map here: aerolopa/ba-type-38a

If there's 3 of you, I would stick with downstairs to have a row to yourself.

Edited at 08:42 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Definitely upper deck, BA are I think the only ones to have economy on the upper deck of an A380. Enjoy it while you can as it will probably go if they put the club suite in.
Economy cabin upstairs is quieter and a lot smaller than downstairs.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LLamb View Post
Definitely upper deck, BA are I think the only ones to have economy on the upper deck of an A380. Enjoy it while you can as it will probably go if they put the club suite in.
Economy cabin upstairs is quieter and a lot smaller than downstairs.
I think most of them actually do. Off the top of my head, I know Qantas, Qatar and Singapore all have at least one config with upper deck economy. Air France did, but have retired their A380s. Emirates and Etihad are the main ones I know who restrict upper to premium cabins but even Emirates has a two class config with it. There's a handful of other airlines as well that I'd have to look up, but it's just too large of a space for most operators to fully utilise premium only cabins on.

I do agree it's worth doing if you've never flown on an upper deck before. It sadly won't be long before the A380 is retired from most fleets. I'm actually surprised BA brought it back at all.

Edited at 10:02 PM.
Old 15 Jan 22, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Louiseanne
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks all. There’s only 2 of us and yes flying Miami to London. I’ll book upper deck while I can.
Louiseanne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I think most of them actually do. Off the top of my head, I know Qantas, Qatar and Singapore all have at least one config with upper deck economy. Air France did, but have retired their A380s. Emirates and Etihad are the main ones I know who restrict upper to premium cabins but even Emirates has a two class config with it. There's a handful of other airlines as well that I'd have to look up, but it's just too large of a space for most operators to fully utilise premium only cabins on.

I do agree it's worth doing if you've never flown on an upper deck before. It sadly won't be long before the A380 is retired from most fleets. I'm actually surprised BA brought it back at all.
They will be around for another 5 years with BA as they are about to refurb them

There are 2 economy cabins upstairs, the very small one at back may be noisy as near the galley
Old 16 Jan 22, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
They will be around for another 5 years with BA as they are about to refurb them

There are 2 economy cabins upstairs, the very small one at back may be noisy as near the galley
That's a surprise, I guess they're banking on a fairly quick recovery to need that capacity back.

Although I would suspect if they're going to install the CW suites, they may remove some of upper economy to make way for them since it's much lower density than the old layout. Unless they reduce the first cabin like they have in the 4 class 777 refits.
Old 16 Jan 22, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I think first class will move upstairs along with business then they will board separately to the riff raff

I think they could easily increase the PE seats as they may be used on the longer flights
Old 17 Jan 22, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Just_Pete
Excited about Disney

I'm doing this route in three days, primarily because I travel solo and am a bit of an aeroplane geek, and the A380 will always trump a 777 for me.

I have upper deck booked because the side seats are twos rather than threes given the curve of the upper deck. This means if you are travelling as a two, you get your own little duo of seats with no risk of a random third. And you also on the upper deck get nice side bins between the windows seat and the bulkhead for a little extra handy storage.

Another option on the A380 (albeit perhaps only if you have a tall person in your group). Is to look at the Lower deck and "The Throne Seat" as it often called, or seat 25D. This is in the middle row, so no windows, but as it is designed to allow emergency exit/access through the floor hatch in front of it to the Crew Rest area below this means there is no 24D in front of it, so it allows a lot of leg space in front.

One one Miami flight when I took this option though, I did notice it would be used a lot by people to stop and chat which was annoying.
Just_Pete is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List